Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Body hair

Cool Body hair

I don't know how true it is' but I have heard and read several things about the Japanese and their obsession with body hair. Do they have an obsession with it and is it seen as a good thing or a bad thing? The reason I ask is that I am fairly hirsute (Okay, I'm a wookie) and would like to know the Japanese attitude to it.
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
    Remember the Siruis Cybernetic Corportations motto: Share and Enjoy

Where I'm Supposed to Be kirei_na_me's Avatar
    Well, there is one situation that I was in that sums this subject up for me.

When one of my Japanese female friends was pregnant, I introduced her to my OB/GYN's. When my husband found out she was going to see them, he said, "She will not like Dr. So-and-So because he has too much hair on his arms." I was like... I didn't know how to respond to that. He said she might be "scared" of him. Later, she did tell me that she didn't like him as much as the other doctor, because he had "too much hair" and that it made him seem like a "rough man". Whatever. He was/is my favorite.

Along the way, I've heard several other comments regarding body hair. I think it's just what they're used to. Japanese people generally don't have much body hair. The men's chests and backs are relatively bare and the hair on their arms and legs is not very abundant. My husband has no hair at all on his back that you can see, on his chest he has what seems like just a few hairs, and the hair on his legs cuts off not far above the knee.

Maybe they see a lot of body hair as being too primate-like. Maybe they think those with a lot of hair have not evolved enough...

I would echo some of kirei's ideas, but there are some exceptions. I'm only somewhat hairy on my chest and stomach (nowhere else thanks <_<), but none of the Japanese women i've known hated it and most even grew to like it. But it was different from what they had been used to.

One thing that I do find somewhat hypocritical is that I have never known a Japanese woman that has shaved or even trimmed her genital area. Not to open up a new can of worms here, but to my taste this is somewhat revolting. If there is a lot of hair down there, it is definitely worse than some guy that has ape-like growth on his back and shoulders. And everytime I broached this subject, they would be genuinely surprised and say that they had never known anyone that did this.

So I guess this cultural difference cuts both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by kirei_na_me
    she didn't like him as much as the other doctor, because he had "too much hair" and that it made him seem like a "rough man".
    Sounds like my Chinese friends. They also think it's kind of dirty, esp. facial hair.

Along the way, I've heard several other comments regarding body hair. I think it's just what they're used to. Japanese people generally don't have much body hair.
    Then again, some of their most famous sumo wrestlers are quite hairy. Yet they seem very popular. Shouldn't this help Japanese to get used somewhat to the idea of hairy backs? Or is it that they see sumo wrestlers as Romans saw many of their gladiators: great fighters, but still barbarians?

Quote Originally Posted by cicatriz esp
    Not to open up a new can of worms here, but to my taste this is somewhat revolting.
    Revolting? It's only natural. To me it's more revolting when girls are shaved down there. Pre-puberty looks as a trend?

Unhappy

Not to open up a new can of worms here ...
    Well it's open now; let's hope it can do some good then.
    One thing that I do find somewhat hypocritical is that I have never known a Japanese woman that has shaved or even trimmed her genital area... to my taste this is somewhat revolting. If there is a lot of hair down there, it is definitely worse than some guy that has ape-like growth on his back and shoulders. And everytime I broached this subject, they would be genuinely surprised and say that they had never known anyone that did this.

So I guess this cultural difference cuts both ways.
    Are you saying that it is considered not only tolerable or acceptable, but expected of women / men to shave / wax pull / remove by lazer surgery hair in said area(s) in the US ? To the degree that couples can/do ask these modifications of each other ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bossel
    Pre-puberty looks as a trend?
    Could this be the US version of kawaii culture among sexually active adults ?
    Z: The fish in the water are happy.
    H: How do you know ? You're not fish.
    Z: How do you know I don't ? You're not me.
    H: True I am not you, and I cannot know. Likewise, I know you're not, therefore I know you don't.
    Z: You asked me how I knew implying you knew I knew. In fact I saw some fish, strolling down by the Hao River, all jolly and gay.

--Zhuangzi

Except that I would disagree that it looks pre-pubescent. It's really reaching to equate the two concepts. It looks like an adult that has used scissors or a razor.

And yes, it would not be rude for someone to request such a thing, especially if it is causing physical pain for the other person. Any sort of laser procedure seems a bit extreme though.

Except that I would disagree that it looks pre-pubescent. It's really reaching to equate the two concepts. It looks like an adult that has used scissors or a razor.

And yes, it would not be rude for someone to request such a thing, especially if it is causing physical pain for the other person. Any sort of laser procedure seems a bit extreme though.
    physical pain ?? either u mistake ur thing in the pants with ur tongue, or ur woman had iron pubes !!

I think unshaved has a more sexy look, it's not easy for a girl to trim all the time and I don't think we should expect this Also a lot of girls have hair just above the whole thing ..so it doesn't come in the way at all
    ~ Parempi hullu kuin tyls&auml; - Better crazy than boring ~
    http://www.fin-style.be/blog -> My Blog about Finland and other random thingies.

Where I'm Supposed to Be kirei_na_me's Avatar
    I just knew this discussion would go take this route...

One thing that I do find somewhat hypocritical is that I have never known a Japanese woman that has shaved or even trimmed her genital area. Not to open up a new can of worms here, but to my taste this is somewhat revolting. If there is a lot of hair down there, it is definitely worse than some guy that has ape-like growth on his back and shoulders. And everytime I broached this subject, they would be genuinely surprised and say that they had never known anyone that did this.
    I have to say I agree with you to a certain extent. I wouldn't say revolting, I guess. I would just say...it's...very natural? It depends on the person, of course, but I just think it feels...cleaner.

After all, they do say "shaven haven", right Rock?

Chiaki_Kuriyama_Fan
    and im worried that idont have enough hair on my legs and arm pits ^_^; strange that, in england your taken the piss out of in p.e if you have no hair on your elgs or armpits...which makes people shameful, errr..:: doesnt want to talk about pubes ::

I do consider myself fortunate in the fact I have dark red hair. Used to be quite ginger when I was younger, but I digress. Having my colour hair means that it is fair and on my arms and legs you can't really tell how hairy I am. I know people who have dark hair and have gorilla arms, so in some ways I am fortunate. (Prepared to fend off the gorilla arm brigade)

I jump to conclusions mad pierrot's Avatar

Not to make this discussion even more bizarre...

but several girls I know swear they've seen Japanese people with straight pubic hair. (In the onsen.) It took me a few drinks to get the courage to ask one of my Japanese girl friends, but apparently it's true.

Fashion.........

straight pubic hair
    Now, THAT sounds odd. Personally, I can't stand hair on the body other than what comes out the scalp, and groomed eyebrows (no unibrows, please!). Needless to say, it makes things more convenient in the bedroom--or whatever other room you happen to be in at the time--in spite of how much of a pain it is to get that way.

New sig coming soon!

Quote Originally Posted by BrennaCeDria
    Now, THAT sounds odd. Personally, I can't stand hair on the body other than what comes out the scalp, and groomed eyebrows (no unibrows, please!). Needless to say, it makes things more convenient in the bedroom--or whatever other room you happen to be in at the time--in spite of how much of a pain it is to get that way.
    Some call it a racing stripe.

Talking The undergrowth gets thicker ...

Whooa, what happened overnight ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiaki_Kuriyama_Fan
    and im worried that idont have enough hair on my legs and arm pits ^_^; strange that, in england your taken the piss out of in p.e if you have no hair on your elgs or armpits...which makes people shameful, errr..:: doesnt want to talk about pubes ::
    Well there's a disease called hairlessness я, I've heard, so you're not alone. Not saying that you're a patient. Maybe you're just more evloved/advanced than your peers ..... j/k.
    I'd say you're no better for being hairy/hairless, no worse, either.

Being discriminated by Japanese women bad?! How about American women! I get made fun of because I'm hairy. Luckly I don't have any hair on the back side of my body, but I have a very hairy front side. I'm even afraid to take my shirt off. Hell I like wearing long sleeves over short sleeves because of it. I hate my hairy body. (except the hair on my head, I love it)

Doc
    "Rather than offer you the illusion of free choice, I will take the liberty of choosing for you... if and when your time comes round again. I do apologize for what must seem to you an arbitrary imposition, Dr. Freeman. I trust it will all make sense to you in the course of... well... I'm really not at liberty to say. In the meantime... this is where I get off." -G-man

Faint

Quote Originally Posted by Mycernius
    would like to know the Japanese attitude to it.
    You might be favored by kids!
    I just a little hairy........and the little kids would stroke my arms as if I were a puppy.....

To Lexico: I should have clarified, my personal aesthetics concerning this subject have absolutely nothing to do with the visual aspect of it, i.e. make them look young or what have you. It is first and foremost about tactile sensation, and secondly about odor/taste. Hair burns are quite unpleasant.

Anybody know the best way to get rid of body hair?

Doc

Talking Hey, it's cool bud ...

To Lexico: I should have clarified, my personal aesthetics concerning this subject have absolutely nothing to do with the visual aspect of it, i.e. make them look young or what have you.
    I understand now; I've heard other stories, but nobody ever gave a reason so I assumed, making and *** out of u & me. Sorry, just couldn't help myself.
    It is first and foremost about tactile sensation, and secondly about odor/taste. Hair burns are quite unpleasant.
    I understand perfectly, but does it really hurt that much ? The whole curly structure is supposed to reduce undue friction, acting as a mechanical lubricant if you will. So the mystery remains. The other thing is, why would it burn unless someone intentionally sets it on fire ?
    btw I miss your llama avatar; although your new one's cool too.
    Last edited by lexico; Apr 9, 2005 at 07:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Mycernius
    I don't know how true it is' but I have heard and read several things about the Japanese and their obsession with body hair. Do they have an obsession with it and is it seen as a good thing or a bad thing? The reason I ask is that I am fairly hirsute (Okay, I'm a wookie) and would like to know the Japanese attitude to it.

I've been with two Japanese women and both were fascinated (in a very positive way) by my abundant chest hair. They both mentioned that they weren't too fond of Japanese guys due to their lack of body hair. With one, when she complemented me, I just couldn't resist the line Sean Connery used in You Only Live Twice, "Japanese proverb say, Bird don't build nest in bare tree."

As for the "lower regions," (ahem) one gal was shaved smooth and the other was shaved but had about a week's worth of growth. A gal a friend was with had a racing stripe. So it seems the current "fashion" of shaving is reaching Japan to some degree.

As for the "lower regions," (ahem) one gal was shaved smooth and the other was shaved but had about a week's worth of growth. A gal a friend was with had a racing stripe. So it seems the current "fashion" of shaving is reaching Japan to some degree.
    I've seen younger women in onsens and sentos seemingly wrapped up in the image as well, although I wonder with some of them thin enough for their ribs to show through if it isn't a thinning the hard way, via a starvation diet than razor?

Quote Originally Posted by ArmandV
    I've been with two Japanese women and both were fascinated (in a very positive way) by my abundant chest hair. They both mentioned that they weren't too fond of Japanese guys due to their lack of body hair. With one, when she complemented me, I just couldn't resist the line Sean Connery used in You Only Live Twice, "Japanese proverb say, Bird don't build nest in bare tree."

To be completely honest I understand for several different reasons why women shave "down there", but it always seems to weird me out. I mean every woman that I've seen shaving to be smooth just plain bothers me. It's like women want to get back to that pre-puberty look. No arm hair, leg hair, ahem "down there" hair, etc. It's just plain bothersome. *shudders* However, too much hair can be a problem too. All natural people tend to freak me out too. I mean women who don't shave at all anywhere. *shudders* For me you can't have too much hair, but you can't have to little either. (No leg hair, no arm hair, but some "ahem" hair.) BTW how did we get to this point anyway with the topic?

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by ArmandV
    With one, when she complemented me, I just couldn't resist the line Sean Connery used in You Only Live Twice, "Japanese proverb say, Bird don't build nest in bare tree."
    HAHAHAAHAH...omg..that's SOOO funny

Well body hair has a function you know...without u get smelly..as hair has the function to absorb nasty,funky smells so u won't smell like a can of tunafish that's stuck in the fridge for 2 weeks !!!

Shaven Haven can be nice...But the "race stripe" can be nice too Bushes is something I'm neither that fond off...just trim it a bit.

Anyways ontopic: I like body hair in a small dosis.I like trimmed stuff..not COMPLETELY gone...but just a little, like little chesthair,little leg n armhair.I saw the spanish singer Ricky Martin and he had trimmed armpithair...so the whole metrosexual thing is extending to the celebritiesscene

Metrosexual? Maybe I should become one and work at Dollyworld.

Doc
    Last edited by Doc; Apr 9, 2005 at 07:08.

Body hair is scary... at least too much of it. Hairy backs and back sides are... I'm fascinated by japanese men and how they usually aren't that hairy. It's nice, I think.

Armpits should definitely be shaved when it comes to women. For men, I don't mind, but shaved armpits look nice on both sexes. But; is it common for men to shave their armpits, I don't know too many who does...?

As for shaving down there...hair should be trimmed, but not completely gone! No hair at all can look scary.

this thread is interesting... *bluuuuuuush*
    For text signatures: 4 lines normal size, 8 lines small size and up to 90 characters per line. Empty lines are also counted. Font sizes above 2 are not allowed.
    For images in signatures: one image up to 300 pixels wide, 100 pixels tall and 20k in size
    If you do want to have text and an image, you can have a maximum of 2 normal lines (or 4 small lines) and one image (in a new line) up to 300 pixels wide, 60 pixels tall and 15k in size."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast