Based on my experience, it seems to me that in Japan we get the best service (most polite, attentionate) in chain shops and often so-so service in privately owned shops (especially if the owner are not so young), while in many Western countries the service tends to be better in privately owned shops, but quite bad in chains (supermarket, etc.).

I think this is because Japanese people work better in a big company, with hierarchy, a set of rules, special training, supervisor, group pressure, etc., while the more individualistic Westerners tend to be more motivated when working for themselves and not for the profit of a big company.

Seen differently, we could say that the Japanese appreciate the job stability and fixed salary provided by a big company, and don't mind working with regulations, while Westerners are more motivated with their own business and try harder to please customers, as it has a direct effect on their income. We could say that the Japanese are more obedient and easily give up personal ambition for group security, while Westerners care little about their company's image or profit if not given incentives (which explains why supermarket cashier are often unpleasant and chain store staff unhelpful in Western countries, while the opposite is true in Japan).

I am not sure that all Western countries fall under this description, but it surely does work quite well for Italy, France, Belgium and the UK.