Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: Common Japanese misconceptions regarding foreigners

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by corocoro
    1)foreigners are forbidden signs...
    We actually do this among Japanese. People who have tattoo are forbidden at public bathhouse, and there are stickers which says "Salespeople are forbidden." or " Hucksters are forbidden." I think this is the way we avoid troubles beforehand, In this case, it's not foreign people but the troubles that we may have(launguage/manner).
    People with tatooes in Japan are usually yakuza. Forbidding foreigners is equal to saying that foreigners are as bad/dangerous as yakuza. I understand perfectly what you mean.

2)Residential issue...
    Well, I think it would be the same reason as I mentioned above. I've heard some same stories that Japanese landlords treated foreign people the same way they did to Japanese first, but there were many troubles occurred between them so they become reluctant to lend rooms to foreigners.

I know it's not acceptable to generalize all the foreign people like this, but knowing these reasons may also be helpful when non-Japanese people deal with us Japanese.
    I am sure most landlords don't have more problems with (Japanese-speaking) Westerners than with Japanese. I went to some big real etate agencies with my wife, and they said frankly that most landlords didn't want to rent apartments to foreigners, even Westerners with a stable job and married to a Japanese, and even with as several Japanese guarantors. However, most Japanese landlords have never rent anything to foreigners (or at least Westerners). In English, this s called prejudice (=unjust behaviour formed on a preconceived opinion not based on actual facts or experience).

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo
    People with tatooes in Japan are usually yakuza. Forbidding foreigners is equal to saying that foreigners are as bad/dangerous as yakuza. I understand perfectly what you mean.
    Is this my English? or Are you just trying to ignore my point? I think You totally don't understand what I mean... You don't even try to understand which makes me feel a little sorry.

I am sure most landlords don't have more problems with (Japanese-speaking) Westerners than with Japanese. I went to some big real etate agencies with my wife, and they said frankly that most landlords didn't want to rent apartments to foreigners, even Westerners with a stable job and married to a Japanese, and even with as several Japanese guarantors. However, most Japanese landlords have never rent anything to foreigners (or at least Westerners). In English, this s called prejudice (=unjust behaviour formed on a preconceived opinion not based on actual facts or experience).
    That's terrible situation you had to face with. I'm so sorry to hear these things actually happen to many foreign people in my country. I sincerely hope things like this will improve better way and non-Japanese people would be able to spend more pleasant time here.

Gee, I am acting like Maciamo-san's stalker here! Sorry Maciamo-san.

Have a good night!

Gee, I am acting like Maciamo-san's stalker here!
    If you were Maciamo-san's stalker-san, Corocoro-san, I'd be his devil-san !
    Last edited by lexico; Mar 19, 2005 at 01:04.
    Z: The fish in the water are happy.
    H: How do you know ? You're not fish.
    Z: How do you know I don't ? You're not me.
    H: True I am not you, and I cannot know. Likewise, I know you're not, therefore I know you don't.
    Z: You asked me how I knew implying you knew I knew. In fact I saw some fish, strolling down by the Hao River, all jolly and gay.

--Zhuangzi

Where I'm Supposed to Be kirei_na_me's Avatar
    Is this my English? or Are you just trying to ignore my point? I think You totally don't understand what I mean... You don't even try to understand which makes me feel a little sorry.
    I think he, and everyone else, understands what you're saying. I believe the point he's trying to make is that it's just not fair.

Sounds like my husband. Just because he can explain something, it doesn't mean he's right.

I also think that everyone understands that you can't change it. Things like this won't change overnight.
    i carry your heart with me(i carry it in my heart)

You're right! It is unfair. Maybe it is about time that Japan passes fair housing laws like we have in the U.S.

Gomen, but what did foreigners do to merit such prejudice ?
    Ni sen san / Ni sen go / Ni sen nana

Quote Originally Posted by Dekamaster

This is a good question to ask my dear, but judging from I've read about Japan on this forum and other sources I have looked to. It seems that the only reason why foreigners are a target of prejudice is the simple fact that they're foreigners.
    "Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot."
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
    by Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)

Quote Originally Posted by Ma Cherie
    This is a good question to ask my dear, but judging from I've read about Japan on this forum and other sources I have looked to. It seems that the only reason why foreigners are a target of prejudice is the simple fact that they're foreigners.
    Ah...ok, I guess I underestimated Japan's cultural make-up. I have read that they (Japanese) have an uncanny ability to assimilate culture and make it their own. Pan is a Portuguese (I think ) word that is also used for bread in Japan, plus numerous borrowed engrish (konbini, biru, noto, etc.). The kana and their educational system is patterned after China. I think they do this to ensure the continuance of their own unique culture, so as to keep it from being corrupted by foreign influences. The more it changes, the more it remains the same. In this sense, I could relate that maybe they still have some residual insular views.

Quote Originally Posted by Dekamaster
    Westerners, nothing. Foreigners as a whole have always been "suspect" in Japan, just for not being Japanese. WWII may be over, but prejudices die hard. The Japanese media and government like to report foreign crime as a whole without distinguishing nationalities, saying such things as "crime has been rising in Japan due to an icreased number of foreigners" and forgetting to mention that the crime rate among Japanese was in fact increasing more than among foreigners, and that this is due to 15 years of economic stagnation. The problem is that most Japanese are very influenceable, naive ane quite credulous of things that comes from their government and media.

Just have a look at Japanese websites, especially those of the government. They try to scare the public with the increase of foreigners in their "pure" country. Here is an example given by Shiro (who is Japanese) in this thread. It represents evolution of the foreign population (in red) compared to the total population of Japan. Look at the scales. The one for foreigners is in "thousands", while those for Japanese is in "hundred of thousands", so that the increase in foreigner appears more dramatic.

If you search the internet, you'll find thousands of Japanese sites treating of the relatively minor problem of foreign crime (it accounts for about 2% of the total crimes in Japan, in proportion to the foreign population). I searched Google with the keywords "外国人犯罪 増加" ("foreign crime" increase) and got over 10,000 results). Have a look at this article explaining the problem of overreporting foreign crimes in Japan.

Banned
    In English, this s called prejudice (=unjust behaviour formed on a preconceived opinion not based on actual facts or experience).
    Actually, you're wrong again. Prejudice is simply an opinion or idea, formed by "pre-judging" someone or something.

The act of denying an alien an apartment to rent is discrimination.

You should really learn the difference between discrimination & prejudice, given how much you like using these two words.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaijin 06
    Actually, you're wrong again. Prejudice is simply an opinion or idea, formed by "pre-judging" someone or something.

You should really learn the difference between discrimination & prejudice, given how much you like using these two words.

Actually, prejudice does lead to discrimation. The first time I experienced discrimination in Japan was my trip there in October. I was going to go to a nightclub in Ueno but the guy at the door said, "Sorry, Japanese only!" My thought was, "Hmmm, those guys at JREF were right."

Quote Originally Posted by Gaijin 06

Oxford Dictionary defintion of prejudice :

1 preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or experience. 2 unjust behaviour formed on such a basis. 3 chiefly Law harm that may result from some action or judgement.

ORIGIN Latin praejudicium, from prae ‘in advance’ + judicium ‘judgement’.

This thread is not about discrimination at all, only about misconceptions and prejudices. Learn to read.

Non-Member
    Hi Maciamo!

I'm glad that you have made a choice hopefully for the best. Obviously you and Japan had irreconcilable differences, and the best thing was probably to say good-bye.

Please try not to be too bitter! I hope you can turn your mental accuities to something else more positive!