Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: Are Japanese more hypocritical with foreigners ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstHousePooka
    Ah a stereotype! Fact is someone dying by snake, shark, spider etc is enough to make a news article. A bite is.
    A question like this is the child of believing stereotype stories.
    Alright, there are antivenoms readily available at the local doctor's, but what if you are walking through the desert or rainforest alone ?

Plus even if she was asking if theres perfumes made in Australia isn't that showing culutral ignorance, believing that Australia CANT make perfume for some reason? It was Australian wine after all that made the French nervous.
    Alright, but are there any famous brand of Aussie perfume ?

Hey look, now YOU are showing the cultural and geographic ignorance. Most Australians dont live in the areas that hit 40 degrees, even in Summer.
    I went all around Australia in 1998 (January to June). I was told that summer was one of the hottest and dryest in a long time (no rain for about 3 months in the Victoria and NSW and severe water shortage). But I can clearly remeber that the temperature reached 40'C several times. I some parts of Australia (between Adelaine and Alice Springs, forgot the name), the temperature reach over 50'C in summer, making it one of the hottest place in the world.

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo
    Alright, there are antivenoms readily available at the local doctor's, but what if you are walking through the desert or rainforest alone ?
    If you're walking through areas of desert or rainforest alone, beyond parks set out for easy day hikes, then frankly you are a fudging idiot and deserve to be tron to shreads by rabid dropbears.
    Especially the desert. What kind of nincinpoop walks through a desert alone?

Alright, but are there any famous brand of Aussie perfume ?
    Within Australia yes.

But again, I disagree with your interpretation of the question.
    My interpretation is that the asker was an idiot with the perception that Australia is a backwater.

I went all around Australia in 1998 (January to June). I was told that summer was one of the hottest and dryest in a long time (no rain for about 3 months in the Victoria and NSW and severe water shortage).
    Rural. The drought.

Most of Australia, and most its population (more than 60%) are urban, living within 3 hours of a coastline, which wasn't as badly affected if at all. But of course you already know that I hope. Youd also know that 80% of Australians live within 3 hours of EASTERN or Southern coast coast between RockHampton and Adelaide. You know that though.
    But I can clearly remeber that the temperature reached 40'C several times.
    Where exactly. What was the population density of the area? Was it a remote country town? Or a city?
    I some parts of Australia (between Adelaine and Alice Springs, forgot the name), the temperature reach over 50'C in summer, making it one of the hottest place in the world.
    Yeah its called the desert. Very remote area. Gurantee that most Australians have never ever set foot anywhere near there. But you're enlightened enough about Australia to also know that right?

And come on. Your Santa suit argument is weak anyway. What off Airconditioned chopping centres? Or the places where even a Summer day is a comfortable high 20's?

For someone so enlightened about the world, arguing that Euro's know more than anyone else, you seem quite ignorant of the fact that a place as large as all of Europe (or larger) can have an enourmous range of temperatures across it on the same day.

Quote Originally Posted by FirstHousePooka
    Yeah its called the desert. Very remote area. Gurantee that most Australians have never ever set foot anywhere near there. But you're enlightened enough about Australia to also know that right?

And come on. Your Santa suit argument is weak anyway. What off Airconditioned chopping centres? Or the places where even a Summer day is a comfortable high 20's?
    So, are you saying that there are no people disguised in Santa Claus in rural areas or outside shopping centres ? Not sure, I wasn't there for Xmas.

For someone so enlightened about the world, arguing that Euro's know more than anyone else, you seem quite ignorant of the fact that a place as large as all of Europe (or larger) can have an enourmous range of temperatures across it on the same day.
    Anyway, does it matter much that the temperature is 33'C or 40'C for the Santa Claus argument ? I heard the Aussie Santa wear shorts and short-sleeves (just heard, pls confirm). I don't care whether Australians celebrate Xmas or not because I am not Christian and don't celebrate Xmas. I was just trying to explain that for a European Xmas is associated with cold weather, snow and short days (when people are depressed because it gets dark at 4 or 5pm and therefore need all the illuminations).

I don't understand why you get so irritated about it. But I also noticed while in Oz that Australians tend to get upset easily once we compare (even neutrally) their country with another one. I got people angry at me for saying such things as "oh the magpies are so big and scary here (Oz is really a different world)", "oh, people do respect the speed limit on the motorway here (but usually not in Europe)", or even "or trees are so tall here (that's nice)". Never understood why they felt it was negative criticism. It must be a national complex. A bit like the Japanese with their attitude to foreigners.
    Last edited by Maciamo; Feb 11, 2005 at 18:13.