Quote Originally Posted by pipokun View Post
To get over your paranoia, ohayogozaimasu to your neighbors would be your first step.
And food and water for the first 3 days would also help, no matter how closely you live to the embassy.
If you have time, it is good to keep remembering what happened in the Kansai region or Niigata. I keep in mind that there are many kinds of Britons here.
Good advice... actually I'm already friendly with my immediate neighbours (adjacent apartments) and have even dined with them in their apartments. And I have an earthquake kit both at home and in the office, and have attended earthquake awareness and training at a large Tokyo fire station.

I'm sure Ishihara would be very efficient at clearing up Tokyo after a quake. For all his faults, he's probably better than most Japanese officials at getting things done. It's just a shame that his silly remarks make so much of the population feel uneasy.

I'm pleasantly surprised that foreigners can join the Japanese fire service. A definite step in the right direction.

If the big one strikes I'm sure it will bring out the best in 99% of Japanese people. But I'm concerned that the Black Van brigade (uyoku) and those who sympathise with them will have a field day.