Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: Why do Japanese talk so much about marriage ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Curious Member
    Oh yes, sorry for the confusion. My husband and I got married two years ago, and we have been deciding a place to settle down (HK /Japan). Finally, I decided to move to Japan next summer cox I don't want to be saparated with him anymore. and Yes, it has been a tough time to get around so many times before and I'll be flying to Tokyo tomorrow... so now, I am preparing to move there next summer, I mean psychologically ...

puzzled gaijin
    Yes, Japanese weddings are something that takes getting used to. My wife and I decided aganist going to one (sending a gift instead) because of the cost involved.

puzzled gaijin
    Big wedding parties are nothing I favor either. My wife's and my parents wanted them, (and probably my wife, to be honest I don't remember), but I was happy wih no party the first time, so it didn't make a lot of difference to me the second time around. I was always more into smaller gatherings where you could talk with everyone if you wanted to, and get into deeper discussions, rather than just general small talk and move on often to do the same thing with another group of people.

The up side was a fun party where my wife and I sang, and my father-in-law impressed me with singing opera, and my best mate at the time read out a poem he composed.

The down side was at the second party in Japan having to try and find a bank machine, because my wife had expected we would receive cash from her parents that day to pay for the izakaya gathering, but her father forgot to bring cash. I forget where the second party was held, but this was in Japan 8 years ago when many bank machines didn't stay open after hours (and no handy ATMS in the convenience stores),so I was rather annoyed and tiffed at being unsuccessful in my forays to get additional cash.

Luckily, we had enough, otherwise we would have had to been bailed out by our guests (actually, one of the Western guests offered me some money later, just wish I had thought to ask earlier, though a bit embarassing, but it would have avoided looking like I had to go to the toilet all the time)! when I was ducking down the street looking for an ATM that was open!

I like western weddings, at least the british one, nice and informal
    Are you serious? British weddings are stuffy and boring affairs. I dread 'wedding season' every year. Luckily this year we've only been invited to one so far.
    British weddings are over-organized and have a rigid schedule like a military operation. In other European countries weddings are less structured (just about anyone can make a speech if they feel like it, you don't get kicked out at a set time) and guests are generally more relaxed and enjoy themselves. I've been to weddings in Spain and Italy that were great fun. Most British weddings I've been to have been very formal and dull in comparison.
    We got married in the Caribbean to save money and avoid some annoying relatives that would no doubt have made a huge fuss had they not been invited to our wedding at home. Best decision we ever made.