Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

View Poll Results: Is Japan a Western country (please read the thread before)

Voters
357. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

35 9.80%
  • Maybe, depends how you see it

123 34.45%
  • No

186 52.10%
  • Don't know

13 3.64%

Thread: Is Japan a Western country ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Did I say that ?
    Calm down.

I didn't SAY you said that. This is an open ended question.

Adopting a Western political, economical and educational system, Western clothes, Western food and Western habits (weddings, sports, etc.) has nothing to do with industrialization.
    Yes I know, and once again this is not my question. Pay attention! You are a smart person. Don't get caught up in everything else going on around you and read the question.

Some people said that industrialization (etc.) is equal to Westernization and I just wanted to know WHY.
    馬鹿も一芸。。。

Quote Originally Posted by Keeni84
    Some people said that industrialization (etc.) is equal to Westernization and I just wanted to know WHY.
    Because the West was the country that invented the industrialization (steam engine, textile and steel factories, electricity, combustion, robotization, miniaturization, computerization, etc.). It seems pretty obvious. If you were to be taken in the 1860's or 1870's all non-Western countries (from Morocco to Japan) were still in the Middle Ages while Europe and America had railways, factories, telegraphs, photographs, baloons, steamships and even the first submarines. In Japan ordinary people were still travelling on ox-drawn carts, whle the samurai only could ride horses (there were no carriage like in the 17th and 18th century in Europe) and were fighting with swords instead of guns.
    At that point in the late 19th century, some non Western countries realised the huge gap between them and Westerners and decided to copy as much as they could. Japan was far from being the only one. Turkey (with Kemal Ataturk) and to a lesser extend Thailand also did it spontaneously. China, at the contrary, was weak and obstinate, and they stayed so until they realised the importance of coyping the West about 20 years ago. Most of the rest of the world adopted at least a Western-style political system through the colonization (India, SE Asia, Africa..), although they stopped developping in this direction after their independence.

India is one of the non-Western countries that has learnt the most (politics, universities, medicine, railway...), but its antiquated caste system and utter lack of natural resources have given it a harder time (partly because they did not adopt more on their own and reform themselves culturally as well, as Japan, which was in very similar posture as India, did since 1868). In other words, India learnt mostly about the Western system except for the industrialization (as it has little coal, iron or other raw material, it is hard to create an industry other than high-tech).

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

I vote for No. However I think Chinese used to call Japanese 東洋人.

ax

Because the West was the country that invented the industrialization (steam engine, textile and steel factories, electricity, combustion, robotization, miniaturization, computerization, etc.). It seems pretty obvious
    I don't think you quite understand the question I am asking. Never mind. Good luck anyway.