Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

View Poll Results: How should Japanese deal with foreigners ?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • They should assume that they can't understand Japanese and use gestures

4 2.76%
  • They should first ask them whether they can speak Japanese (either in Japanese or in English)

92 63.45%
  • They should address them in Japanese and only use gestures or speak more slowly if the person doesn't understand

49 33.79%

Thread: Should all Japanese directly address foreigners in Japanese ?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmandV
    In other places, I usually have no problem finding an English-speaking Japanese person. A lot of Japanese that I've encountered have a decent, rudimentary command of English. Generally, I have not found the communication problem that a few are sensitive about.

I look at it this way, when I am in Japan, I am a guest in their country. I find it a little odd that foreigners who know Japanese, who are also guests, should get upset if they are asked if they speak Japanese.
    Good points you make here, which I'm sure have crossed the minds of anyone in an ambiguous situation involving this language/foreign-looks/is-that-person discriminating,-patronizing,-or-making-fun-of-me sort of problem.

It can go either way, if it happens only rarely or someone is justing passing thru. But if you're there for more than a brief stay, or decided to live there as a permenent resident, you'd definitely want to be fully integrated to the host country's social setting. For example in the US, there's a label following around a second generation Asian termed 'banana.'

Depending on the individual 'banana,' he can feel deprived of an equal opportunity in US society. Although he may have been fully 'white-washed' like the inside of the yellow fruit, his 'yellow' skin may become a cause of inequal treatment. Now whether that is generally true or only so in isolated cases is hard to determine. He may have become fully Americanized inside, but has he really? Socially?
    Last edited by lexico; Feb 20, 2005 at 02:09.