Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: The Unbiased Truth About Nova

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jhough37
    Well, while what you are saying is correct, I would wonder what else they would be asking you to do for the extra six minutes you "may" be asked to work as someone enrolled in Shakai Hoken. Is NOVA really going to give every employee not enrolled in JMA an extra half hour of work a day? Are they going to get a cleaning shedule to do while ther coworkers sit around for 6 extra minutes?
    Actually apparantly the time between the breaks is closer to 10 minutes, and the popular rumour is those who must work between it will be doing demo lessons, kids demos, CAT tests etc. Sound unreasonable?
    I was once given a kids demo to do in the 10 minute break. And then expected to be able to have a lesson planned, give feedback about the kid and bolt into the next class on time.

I am curious to know how this works, this memo says lesson times changed in April, and the memo is dated May 16th, so from April-May was everyone getting extra break time? Since May 16th have all Shakai Hoken workers been asked to do extra work during JMA workers breaks? Please share.
    I am unsure about that part of it.

So far though it reads like punisihing those on Shakai Hoken.

I always found the ten minute "breaks" to be inadequate. I drank a lot of water during the course of the day because my throat got dry from talking all day. Thus I had to make many trips to the bathroom - almost every break. To do that and write file comments and plan your next lesson is a lot to do in ten minutes. I always got hammered at my reviews for writting such brief file comments. And if you have to do a movement there's no chance at all of finding time to do that during a break. To call this time a "break" isn't very accurate because you spend most of that time doing work.

This is my biggest criticism of Nova - the fact that you feel like you're rushing all day. I've heard of other schools where the teachers have plenty of down time (in some cases TOO much).
    For information on the pros and cons of teaching at Nova English schools in Japan, check out

soon to be in Isesaki! jhough37's Avatar

hehe

Brooker, that is why you take your files with you to the bathroom, combine everything into one break. heheh
    -John

Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible ~Escher

Quote Originally Posted by jhough37
    Brooker, that is why you take your files with you to the bathroom, combine everything into one break. heheh
    Also good when theres no loo paper!

That's what I always wanted to do with them. I hated filling out those comments. It's so pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker
    That's what I always wanted to do with them. I hated filling out those comments. It's so pointless.
    Did most people even read them?
    I saw a scan once of like two full pages of comments for one student. All straight 3's or obviously randomly assigned numbers and EVERY comment was generic like 'good work' or 'did ok'.

-- Good effort.

-- Come to voice class.

These were my standard notes. I also really liked...

-- 3PS

...which just means that the student dropped the third person "s" a lot, like "He drive(S)"

The staff would look at the file comments when they were reviewing the student's progress. But some of the staff members had pretty limited understanding of English, so they didn't really know what the comments meant anyways.