Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: The Unbiased Truth About Nova

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    http://www.wa-pedia.com/practical/te..._at_nova.shtml

Go to "Interview and Qualifications."
    For information on the pros and cons of teaching at Nova English schools in Japan, check out

This is an informative thread indeed. Thanks to Brooker and others contributing!

Nova caught my attention at a graduate fair since it seems to be quite relaxed about its recruitment process (I'm not British national BTW but studied in English since small). I'm not making teaching a career but would like to experience Japan and its neighbours. So Nova, with its 1 year contract, looks promising

I've read about how selfish and unconsiderate the corp is and the hectic schedule it imposes on its employees. But one thing I'd like to know. Is the pay any decent? Can you actually save with the salary? If I'm applying, I'll be going for the flexi-schedule. The pay is less though

From Nova's site, working say, in Tokyo reaps 195,000-223,000 yen per month. Is that enough? I've heard of the high cost of living in Japan, especially Tokyo (If it's more expensive than London, should be pretty tough >_<)

Quote Originally Posted by masayoshi
    I've read about how selfish and unconsiderate the corp is and the hectic schedule it imposes on its employees. But one thing I'd like to know. Is the pay any decent? Can you actually save with the salary? If I'm applying, I'll be going for the flexi-schedule. The pay is less though

From Nova's site, working say, in Tokyo reaps 195,000-223,000 yen per month. Is that enough? I've heard of the high cost of living in Japan, especially Tokyo (If it's more expensive than London, should be pretty tough >_<)
    Hi Masayoshi,

In fact, there has been numerous threads about the cost of life in Japan. First thing, never believe that Tokyo is more expensive than London, even if some dumb reports still rank Tokyo as the world's most expensive city. That is not true ! I kow both cities quite well, and I can tell you that more often than not London is twice (yes 2x) more expensive than Tokyo. This works for transportation, accommodation, restaurants, mobile phones, books, etc. The few things that are cheaper are European-made cars, brand clothes or food that are exported to Japan. Prices that are comparable include international cloth chains (Gap, Zara, etc.), computers (because it really depends where you buy it) or Japanese cars.

You can easily find accommodation under 100,000yen/month in central Tokyo (equivalent of Westminster or the City in London, where people normally can't afford to live), and 50,000yen/month if you are willing to commute 20min (equivalent of living in Ealing or Fulham in London).

The minimum salary legally required for a working visa in Japan is 250,000yen (what Nova pays), so even living at walking distance of the Imperial Palace you can still save say 100,000yen/month once food and transportation is paid.

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

wow thanks a lot Maciamo! Sorry I didn't check other threads since I thought it would be most appropriate to ask here. Now I have a better idea about the situation. I live in Camden myself and need to travel to central London, so wouldn't mind commuting as such in Japan.

Saving around 100,000 yen a month doesn't look too bad!

Quote Originally Posted by masayoshi
    Is the pay any decent? Can you actually save with the salary?
    I made more money at Nova than I've ever made at a job here at home and lived veeery comfortably while I was in Japan. I don't think there's ever been a time in my life when I had to worry about money less. I could pretty much buy, do, and go what/wherever I wanted.

For more info on the subject, go to this article...

http://www.wa-pedia.com/practical/te..._at_nova.shtml

and check out the section on "Money and Saving".