Quote Originally Posted by Frank D. White View Post
a book club type thing would go over here. A bunch of us agree on the same book to read(to do with Japan). Then we have 2 weeks to get the book and start reading. Then we discuss the book and hopefully bring in info from outside the book that has to do with what's in the book. Maybe start with something short & light and if it goes well, get into deeper more complicated subjects.
That is a good idea. In fact I already wrote a few book reviews on the forum such as Memoirs of a Geisha, Dogs & Demons, Gold Warriors, Snow Country, as well as quite a few othes in the JREF Shop. I also commented on book reviews that were already started like Genji Monogatari.

I also took many isolated ideas and quotations from other books on Japan (esp. regarding history, politics and economy) to start a few dozens topics. For instance my Edo Trivia comes mostly from Andrew Gordon's History of Japan.

Unfortunately it seems that few of our members are disposed to share their impressions on serious books (i.e. non fiction or classics), or do not read much.