Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: Why become Japanese ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Anything more multi-faceted and not all in the same direction I'd be happy and very interested in reading.

This reminds me of a word I heard that some Japanese tend to say, it's Kokusaika, it means internationlization, but Japan is still a closed society. So what does this mean to the Japanese?
    "Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot."
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
    by Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)

No reason

There is no reason to become a Japanese national at all. The very social foundations of this country was architecturally designed to be homogeneous as far back as Yamoto aska jidai. For centuries Japan has striven to find that ideal face; that ideal image of nippon. And yes, influences & culture has come from a variety of cultures such as Spain, China, Korea,....the list is exhaustive. But, as always, Japan takes only the best from every culture and perfects it even more then labels it as Japanese. So, to want to assimilate into this society is like inviting regression because you can't grow here as a non-Japanese.

Now, America on the other hand, was founded on the prinicipal of "bring your tired and weary" and " e pluribus unam--among many we are one" idea.
    In Japan, its" Don't bring your tired and weary unless he or she has a higher education and/or some ideas so that they can be fleeced." Read the source at the bottom. I can provide many more but I'm sure this one will be entertaining:

http://www.slackersguild.com/comment...id=455&cid=971

Finally, I like the idea that Japan is for the Japanese. Though, I love this country immensely I would rather take a back seat to social issues here. I would like to see Japan remain for the Japanese only because its beautiful that way. Arudo Debito actually knows me. We have exchanged e-mails on numerous occassions and I let him know that I don't like what he's been doing. I've been to the onsens where he's been rejected entry. I have never been rejected by any onsen and I've been to over 1500 since living here. I think for the most part is that he speaks in English to the counter lady and not in Japanese of which he is fluent ! He tries to do things his way and not the Japanese way or at least trying to for that matter.

Be a token gaijin ! That's the best way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma Cherie
    This reminds me of a word I heard that some Japanese tend to say, it's Kokusaika, it means internationlization, but Japan is still a closed society. So what does this mean to the Japanese?
    It was a very popular term about 15 years ago. Nobody ever did really figure out just what the hell it meant.