Quote Originally Posted by lexico
. . . Tojo might have been a scapegoat. In addition to his own, numerous war crimes in breach of international law, Human Rights Declaration, and the Geneva Convention . . .
First, I am sorry to be discussing only one part of this thread at a time. The issue is very complex and I am afraid at this moment I do not have a comprehensive essay prepared to address all issues. As such, I have decided address single issues at a time. This may make my posts seem disconnected or unecessarily focused on minute details. I am sorry if this creates confusion . . .

As to the Human Rights Declaration:

According to the United Nations website http://www.unhchr.ch/html/menu3/b/91.htm , the Human Rights Declaration was not established until December 10th, 1948, three years after the conclusion of World War II.

As to the Geneva Convention:

According to the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (http://www.unhchr.ch/html/menu3/b/91.htm , the Geneva Convention was:

"Adopted on 12 August 1949 by the Diplomatic Conference for the Establishment of International Conventions for the Protection of Victims of War, held in Geneva from 21 April to 12 August, 1949 entry into force 21 October 1950"

That is, about four years after World War II.

I bring this up because it is mentioned that Gen. Tojo breached these particular conventions/statutes/laws. Yet, this would not seem possible considering that these very laws were not in place until years after World War II.
This becomes an important detail when one takes into consideration the accusations levelled against Gen. Tojo's granddaughter for have an incorrect understanding of history. It would seem that errors of understanding exist amongst all parties in some way or another.
If that is the case, should we not then avoid demonizing those who disagree with us or present a view oppositional to our own? Should we not try more for understanding and rational discussion rather than make a hasty rush to judgmentalism?

Gomen nasai! I am afraid that my statement perhaps does not make as much sense as I had hoped . . .