Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: No Japanese credit cards for foreigners ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    I think your constant harping over one particular instance of rejection is adding to the overall impression given on this thread that it is extremely difficult to get a credit card issued to you in Japan. Several posters have given good advice to better your odds. Naturally, there will be difficulties and obstacles to many aspects of our lives, being non-Japanese. Best to accept that, deal with it, and learn what can be done to minimize them. The OP's question "No Japanese credit cards for foreigners" gets a resounding "False!" answer.
    Unlike what others have posted here, I was told I could not have the card due to be foriegn by the credit card company. And without going into details, I am member of two boards in a companies that I run here. Here is the kicker, if I was to go through my company they said they would approve it straight away instead of using my name only. So it has nothing to do with working for a big company. I also own 500 tsubo's of land and a house, as in I do not have any payments left on it.

When I was said I wanted it in my name they stated that I could provide a copy of my passport and my permenat residency visa, but it would be very unlikely that the verdict would change. That is when I rang my bank manager and got him to get me the card, but not everyone can do that can they?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenski View Post
    Pipokun,
    This happened a very short time ago. Don't try to confound the issue with "was he clean back then?" questions.
    The OP, FrustratedDave, and other posters got their cards, so their stories must be good for people in similar situations, but only you know the case of your friend here.
    So all I can do is just a guesswork or to feel sorry for him.

It is great if he come here to share his stories when he got other cards.

Quote Originally Posted by pipokun View Post
    The OP, FrustratedDave, and other posters got their cards, so their stories must be good for people in similar situations, but only you know the case of your friend here.
    So all I can do is just a guesswork or to feel sorry for him.

It is great if he come here to share his stories when he got other cards.
    The thing is that people are not telling the whole story. People who already have cards will find getting them a lot easier. Those who don't will have a difficult time no matter what company you work for.