Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: No Japanese credit cards for foreigners ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The easiest cards to get

For foreigners I heard were Nippon Shimpan, any department store card,

Same here. At first, I simply and honestly thought my bank (MUFJ) made a mistake in treating my application.

Applied at AMEX as well, same result, rejection and no mention of a reason whatsoever.

I actually tried to communicate with my bank and kindly asked them what i should do to get a credit card but no clear answer, just "try again in at least 6 months".

Really frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by ottovudu View Post
    Same here. At first, I simply and honestly thought my bank (MUFJ) made a mistake in treating my application.
    Applied at AMEX as well, same result, rejection and no mention of a reason whatsoever.
    I actually tried to communicate with my bank and kindly asked them what i should do to get a credit card but no clear answer, just "try again in at least 6 months".
    Really frustrating.
    Wouldn't matter if you did not make a mistake.

Non-Member
    Here'S a question for you. Do you have a documented record of a postive cash flow at the bank you applied for your credit card?

If not and you REALLY want your credit card, the place to start is there. Open a savings account and have a net positive cash flow for 6 months or so and then see if you get rejected again.

I applied for a credit card from JP Bank about 3 months after arriving in Japan on a one-year work visa. A week after mailing in my application the bank called my company to verify my employment. They then spoke to me on the phone and asked to to verify my date of birth, and address. About 3 weeks later the card was delivered to my door. JP bank cards are apparently issued by SMBC.
    Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that many American banks won't mail your bill to Japan, or that they require an American address. This was not true in my case. I have a World MC from Citi, another World MC from Juniper, and a Disney Visa from Chase, all three banks had no problem changing to my Japan address, and I receive bills from them in the mail each month.
    I'm still trying to work something out with Amex. I have an Amex Platinum which I love to have for the travel perks, but the Japanese Amex Platinum has a much higher annual fee (the American annual fee is already $450 per year).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontman View Post
    I applied for a credit card from JP Bank about 3 months after arriving in Japan on a one-year work visa. A week after mailing in my application the bank called my company to verify my employment. They then spoke to me on the phone and asked to to verify my date of birth, and address. About 3 weeks later the card was delivered to my door. JP bank cards are apparently issued by SMBC.
    Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that many American banks won't mail your bill to Japan, or that they require an American address. This was not true in my case. I have a World MC from Citi, another World MC from Juniper, and a Disney Visa from Chase, all three banks had no problem changing to my Japan address, and I receive bills from them in the mail each month.
    I'm still trying to work something out with Amex. I have an Amex Platinum which I love to have for the travel perks, but the Japanese Amex Platinum has a much higher annual fee (the American annual fee is already $450 per year).
    You got b/c you have other credit cards.

Quote Originally Posted by FrustratedDave View Post
    Doesn't matter. Every credit card company has its own rules. Coworker of mine has lived here for over 20 years, owns property, built his own house, speaks fluent Japanese, has Japanese wife and kid, etc. Of course, he has other credit cards.

He was denied a credit card from a lousy gasoline company. When he phoned them to ask why, they wouldn't tell him. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by FrustratedDave View Post
    They did not ask me if I had any other credit cards, nor was there such request on the application. I do not speak much Japanese, so that was also not much of a factor. The only positive thing that weighed in my favor was that I do work for a large company.