Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: Fluent Foreigners Now Accepted In Japan!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecash
    The premise has a huge flaw.

Starting off encounters by asking "日本語 わかりますか?" would be discriminatory. At the very least, it is certainly not the way I prefer my encounters to get started. I prefer that people just speak to me under the assumption that I do speak Japanese.
    This preference has a huge flaw also. Of course anything the Japanese would do to help placate foreigners would be deemed discriminatory by some. Unless you look Asian, I doubt it very much if anyone would speak to you under the assumption that you do speak the language since so very few foreigners do. However, if we entered the "Twilight Zone", I'm sure that could be arranged and made a law in Japan. Therefore, all foreigners, regardless of whether the Japanese know if we can speak the language or not, would first be addressed under the assumption that they speak Japanese.

Maybe, in the "Twilight Zone" the Japanese could impliment a button system for all foreigners, lest the Japanese discriminate against us by first asking us if we understand Japanese. Hypothetically, some may still find this discriminatory also. Therefore, they will make it mandatory for EVERYONE, Japanese and foreigner alike, to wear a button of their choosing.

I'm fluent. (With a little flag of the country(ies) you are fluent in)

I speak SOME Japanese (English)

I speak no Japanese (English) at all.

I've already answered your 20 questions!

I am NOT from America!!

:let's get a drink and get to know one another (All Languages)

I'm single and available (International Language)

I'm gay (International Language)
    Do What You Love And You'll Never Work Another Day In Your Life!

Quote Originally Posted by Pachipro
    This preference has a huge flaw also.
    No, there's nothing wrong with my preference. If I had said it were my expectation, it would be not only flawed, but foolish.

Mike you computerjunk ! You just got up and already online...

And I know what premise means Rach...it's just that I don't get what mike wants to make clear sometimes...
    ~ Parempi hullu kuin tylsä - Better crazy than boring ~
    http://www.fin-style.be/blog -> My Blog about Finland and other random thingies.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachipro
    This preference has a huge flaw also. Of course anything the Japanese would do to help placate foreigners would be deemed discriminatory by some.
    I don't think it incumbent upon the Japanese to go out of their way to placate me, or any other foreigner.

Unless you look Asian, I doubt it very much if anyone would speak to you under the assumption that you do speak the language since so very few foreigners do.
    I don't look Asian, and people speaking to me under the assumption that I do speak the language is pretty much a daily occurance.

However, if we entered the "Twilight Zone", I'm sure that could be arranged and made a law in Japan. Therefore, all foreigners, regardless of whether the Japanese know if we can speak the language or not, would first be addressed under the assumption that they speak Japanese.
    I certainly hope that remains a "Twilight Zone" solution. I would personally abhor such a law.

Maybe, in the "Twilight Zone" the Japanese could impliment a button system for all foreigners, lest the Japanese discriminate against us by first asking us if we understand Japanese. Hypothetically, some may still find this discriminatory also. Therefore, they will make it mandatory for EVERYONE, Japanese and foreigner alike, to wear a button of their choosing.

I'm fluent. (With a little flag of the country(ies) you are fluent in)

I speak SOME Japanese (English)

I speak no Japanese (English) at all.

I've already answered your 20 questions!

I am NOT from America!!

:let's get a drink and get to know one another (All Languages)

I'm single and available (International Language)

I'm gay (International Language)
    When do we pass out yellow stars?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeCash
    No, there's nothing wrong with my preference. If I had said it were my expectation, it would be not only flawed, but foolish.
    Whoops. Should've said premise and not preference. gomen, neh.

tsuyaku o tsukete kudasai nurizeko's Avatar
    the problem is japanese worry to much on how to treat a westerner instead of just treating us with the same politeness they would treat anyone.

saying that also japan is a very strict society in the sense that there's rules and guidelines for nearly every part of life and living in japan.

in the west its more relax, and its easier to go with the flow, japanese just havnt been brought up with the ability to improvise and take things as they come.

...i can only emagine the problems that will occur between humanity and an alien race should we ever survive long enough to engage in communication....

Quote Originally Posted by nurizeko
    the problem is japanese worry to much on how to treat a westerner instead of just treating us with the same politeness they would treat anyone.

saying that also japan is a very strict society in the sense that there's rules and guidelines for nearly every part of life and living in japan.

in the west its more relax, and its easier to go with the flow, japanese just havnt been brought up with the ability to improvise and take things as they come.
    I'll be Frank with you; I think your observations are valid. Just for argument's sake let me say that;

"Treating an outsider with the same politeness is absolutely unpermissible for an honorable Japanese."

"Maintaining formal distance is the ultimate expression of respect for a Japanese."

"Being relaxed, improvising, going with the flow, taking things as they come are all signs of lewdness, licentiousness, and immorality for the traditionally minded Japanese."
    Quote Originally Posted by nurizeko
    i can only emagine the problems that will occur between humanity and an alien race should we ever survive long enough to engage in communication....
    ...which is one more reason to believe whoever made it this far couldn't possibly be that dumb... unless you're a Mars Attacks fan.
    Z: The fish in the water are happy.
    H: How do you know ? You're not fish.
    Z: How do you know I don't ? You're not me.
    H: True I am not you, and I cannot know. Likewise, I know you're not, therefore I know you don't.
    Z: You asked me how I knew implying you knew I knew. In fact I saw some fish, strolling down by the Hao River, all jolly and gay.

--Zhuangzi

I jump to conclusions mad pierrot's Avatar

Remember....

"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

F.Y.I. Duck Soup is one of my favorites movies....