Quote Originally Posted by Brooker
Yeah, I'd have to say most Americans don't spend much time discussing marriage (at least the men don't) other than to bad mouth it.
Oscar Wilde once wrote that he'd never ever want to get married, because if you truly love somebody, you don't need to give "some committment" as if you'd leave her in the first place.

Well, something along those lines(it's been a while since I read The Importance of Being Ernest)

Anyways, from what I know, marriage is more important because of the whole family honor in Japan. The Japanese have much respect for their families, and marriage is showing triumph. It shows that you've gotten somewhere in life, and that you'll be happy.

Marriage in the States is mainly just so 1. You're entailed to a little bit more 2. You now have a "love bond" or w/e and 3. It's just a formality. Quite a few of my friends have gotten married just because they love the person, not because there was some big prize in it. I've been to a few weddings, and never once have I seen the parents of a child say,"Nice job!" or "good for you!" or "you make the family proud!" Generally they just cry and celebrate. I bet if I went to Japan their parents would be hugging them more than the spouse.

I do not know why Japanese talk about it incesintly as you so put it, but I guess it makes them happier.