Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: Discrimination in Japan

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I used to steal bikes all the time

however stealing is probably the wrong word; there were no locks and I'd ride them back to the station and dump them from whence they came the next day.

once the police came to my house, because we had about 7 bikes parked outside, all of them decrepid. I just told them "no speaky japanesy" and they went away.

out of all my drunken adventures, crazy fights, misadventures etc, I have never once encountered racism, brutality or inequality from the police or japanese people. All that I can imagine is that people who have are either asking for it or always feel "hard done by" generally. Or maybe its just the fact that I don't feel the need to complain when things don't go my way.

Japanese see americans as being very selfish, thoughtless people. Maybe this would account for the experiences people have? Japanese may use the get out of conflict free card by using your race against you but I guess in other countries you would get the same treatment from being inconsiderate to others, rules & culture.

Japan is a wonderful place but if you treat it like a theme park or on the other hand expect it to give you equality to nationals, then you are in the wrong.

Finally Enlighted One Buddha Smoker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dadako
    I used to steal bikes all the time
    This is exactly why we have problems...

out of all my drunken adventures, crazy fights, misadventures etc, I have never once encountered racism, brutality or inequality from the police or japanese people. All that I can imagine is that people who have are either asking for it or always feel "hard done by" generally. Or maybe its just the fact that I don't feel the need to complain when things don't go my way.
    I don't really care but it is nice to have discussions about everybody's experiences.

Japan is a wonderful place but if you treat it like a theme park or on the other hand expect it to give you equality to nationals, then you are in the wrong.
    Refer to first statement..