Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: Discrimination in Japan

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Omnipotence personified Mandylion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Time
    no Chinese allowed

Having trouble making out all the bits, and I am in a bit of a hurry, but the sign also asks that people without their little fingers (ie yakuza) also not come in.
    "It's a d**n poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."

- Andrew Jackson

As a person who loves just about anything japanese, it saddens me to hear that a lot of people there treat other asians(south east asians in particular) badly. I would like to visit Japan someday and make some friends but I'm now thinking twice about it. I hope I am wrong about my impression about Japan and make some japanese friends in the future

Finally Enlighted One Buddha Smoker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJames
    As a person who loves just about anything japanese, it saddens me to hear that a lot of people there treat other asians(south east asians in particular) badly. I would like to visit Japan someday and make some friends but I'm now thinking twice about it. I hope I am wrong about my impression about Japan and make some japanese friends in the future
    Don't take any of this to make an impression..form your own opinion. It's nice just to keep your eyes and ears open plus keep an open mind too. Don't worry about too much until you experience this wonderful country because even though you hear all this.....we still live here and there must me a reason for that.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJames
    Are you the type of person who is saddened by rumors? Most other east-Asian nations have had a bad history with Japan, and people are still prejudiced against the Japanese.

You've never even been to Japan and you're already pre-judging.

Ask yourself this question--if the Japanese treat other Asians so poorly, why are there so many of them there? So many continue to go there, legally or illegally?

If I knew I wasn't going to be welcome somewhere, I sure as hell wouldn't go there.

One thing no one is willing to mention is the crimes being committed by Chinese and other foreignors in Japan. Are we in serious denial? Some merchants would rather refuse service than to risk and problems.

It creates a very very poor impression upon the Japanese when foreigners commit crime and makes headline news. Their feeling is, if you are a guest in someone's house, you behave yourself. What if the Japanese went to China and committed crimes? Do you think the Chinese would still treat them well?

Quote Originally Posted by Golgo_13
    One thing no one is willing to mention is the crimes being committed by Chinese and other foreignors in Japan. Are we in serious denial? Some merchants would rather refuse service than to risk and problems.

It creates a very very poor impression upon the Japanese when foreigners commit crime and makes headline news. Their feeling is, if you are a guest in someone's house, you behave yourself.
    The problem here is that you use the word "foreigner" putting everybody in the same category. I think that people staying in Japan should be divided, if not by country, by purpose of staying in Japan. Crimes tend to be commited by people who are not trying to adapt to Japanese society, are not in Japan of their own will (or reluctantly, to make money), or are US soldiers stationed there (again, not because they want to adapt or live there, but not really for money either).

I am pretty sure that if we analyse the status f people committing (serious) crimes, we will find that the vast majority are either illegal or economic immigrants (+ US soldiers). There are probably few people with a working visa (which requires that the sponsoring company pays a salary of at least 250.000yen/month), or with a spouse, investor, diplomatic, religious or permanent visa.

I would be really interested to know the percentage of crimes committed by visa status as well as by country (so as to see how high is the crime rate of people coming from developping countries compared to others).

What if the Japanese went to China and committed crimes? Do you think the Chinese would still treat them well?
    Well that already happened, and not just during WWII. Lots of stories of Japanese businessmen "partying" with prostitutes in China.

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo
    Well that already happened, and not just during WWII. Lots of stories of Japanese businessmen "partying" with prostitutes in China.
    How about burglaries, robberies, fraud, and murders?

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo
    The problem here is that you use the word "foreigner" putting everybody in the same category. . . Crimes tend to be commited by people who are not trying to adapt to Japanese society, are not in Japan of their own will (or reluctantly, to make money) . . . .
    And just how are the average Japanese supposed to distinguish them?

By the signs they wear?

As for how the Japanese treat other Asians, also consider how a Chinese would be treated in Indonesia, or how a Korean would be treated in Vietnam, and all kinds of combinations and permutations. I doubt that any one group would be treated like royalty anywhere else. It's just that so much attention is focused on Japan because that's where they all go to.

Again, why would anyone go there if they knew they were going to be treated so horribly?

It creates a very very poor impression upon the Japanese when foreigners commit crime and makes headline news. Their feeling is, if you are a guest in someone's house, you behave yourself. What if the Japanese went to China and committed crimes? Do you think the Chinese would still treat them well?
    It also makes a poor impression when the media and governmental agencies issue stories about how crimes committed by foreigners are going up. They don't mention facts such as that there are many more foreigners (so of course foreign crime would go up) or that crime by Japanese are going up just as much if not more. It's easier to stoke xenophobic tendencies than to address the real issues (like poor performance of the national police agency).

I jump to conclusions mad pierrot's Avatar
    There isn't a nation on this planet that doesn't have a little bit of xenophobia, and Japan is no exception. I'm willing to bet all kinds of different reasons add up to this. I.E. Japan is an island nation, has a long history of isolationist policy, etc.

Funny thing about the bikes. When I was a college student here, I was stopped a couple of times by cops asking to see my registration. I thought it was strange at the time. Then, just last week I met someone who "borrowed" 5 bikes in one night. He happened to be an English teacher, too....

Sterotypes like these always have some truth mixed up with exaggeration.

I don't think you can distinguish between them but I think you see the point Maciamo is getting at.

Also, I know I said it in some post somewhere maybe this one. I checked some stats from the Japanese government and this is what I basically got.

80% of crime caused in Japan is caused by foreigners not a part of Japan (not permanent residents or the legal ones...you know the foreigners foreigners... ) and 50% of that number (or 40% out of 100%) was by US military people.

Quote Originally Posted by mdchachi
    It's easier to stoke xenophobic tendencies than to address the real issues (like poor performance of the national police agency).
    You think the FBI or the Scotland Yard has a higher clearance rate than the Japanese police?

But it's an unfair comparison since the crime rates are much higher in the U.S. and the UK.

By the signs they wear?
    People tend to judge others by the impression they get. Just like in any other country. If you wear a suit, carry a brief case and have a neat appearance, you WILL be treated a little better than someone with long hair wearing old jeans and a torn T-shirt, regardless of race.

I don't even understand why discrimination in Japan has to be such a major issue here anyway.

Has anyone seen the posts about how Frank White and I have been treated in the U.S. in the "white-Japanese relationships" thread?

Are there any chapters of the Ku Klux Klan in Japan? In case nobody knew, there are in the U.S.

If a lot of foreigners ended up somehow in Uzbekistan, chances are most of them will be discriminated against.

I don't even understand why discrimination in Japan has to be such a major issue here anyway.
    Do you mean on this board or in real life?

Has anyone seen the posts about how Frank White and I have been treated in the U.S. in the "white-Japanese relationships" thread?
    Give me a link, please? If not, then I'll look forward it later.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha Smoker
    Do you mean on this board or in real life?
    Give me a link, please? If not, then I'll look forward it later.
    It says "here."

http://www.wa-pedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5384

As stated many times before, racism, prejudice, and discrimination are everywhere. I've never been to Japan, but I've heard more bad talk on foreign treatment than good. I've heard enough to dissuade any non-Japanese person to even want to visit. However, I've heard very good stories too and it is with a clear conscience I will first visit Japan to assess for myself.

As an American, I see many foreigners come here on their own accord, often in search of a better life. Now whether the move was instigated by those glorifying America or damning it; point is, travelers and immigrants alike find out for themselves.

If you base yourself solely on fears erected by others, where goes personal experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Rioneru View Post
    As stated many times before, racism, prejudice, and discrimination are everywhere. I've never been to Japan, but I've heard more bad talk on foreign treatment than good. I've heard enough to dissuade any non-Japanese person to even want to visit. However, I've heard very good stories too and it is with a clear conscience I will first visit Japan to assess for myself.

As an American, I see many foreigners come here on their own accord, often in search of a better life. Now whether the move was instigated by those glorifying America or damning it; point is, travelers and immigrants alike find out for themselves.

If you base yourself solely on fears erected by others, where goes personal experience?
    That's a really good point. I haven't spent as much time as others in Japan but I would consider the sum of my experiences quite typical and at least more informed (based solely on length of stay) than the average vacationer. That being said I'd be one of those people likely to offer positive experiences, as they are what remain in my mind. I guess others have had a rougher ride than me. Why this is I do not know. But I will say, to your point on personal experience and fear, that if you (meaning anyone) approaches Japan with this mindset or chooses to adopt it quickly after one negative experience, they will begin to see discrimination where it doesn't exist.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bakaKanadajin View Post
    I guess others have had a rougher ride than me. Why this is I do not know..

Maybe because they have been their longer and had more experiences.

I'm sure if you stayed long enough, you would find out all the little things that happen..

I used to HATE it when the old lady cleaner used to watch over the urinal whilst I was doing a pee, and that's no joke!

Apart from that, I found that racism and discrimination came from the male side of things..

I never had any problems, infact, the opposite with Japanese women..

Maybe it's a jealousy thing on the part of Japanese males?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyoto Returnee View Post
    Maybe because they have been their longer and had more experiences.

I'm sure if you stayed long enough, you would find out all the little things that happen..

Doesn't make a huge difference, if its as bad as some make it out to be I'd have the same relative amount of exposure and would have come away with the same attitude. If the longer you're there the more they dislike you you're doing something wrong.

And if you have a genuine interest in Japanese culture I think it shows. People who were interested like that never had a bad time where I lived, even in the face of a little discrimination. The people who suffered the most were the ones who didn't really want to be there but had no exit strategy, knew very little Japanese relative to the amount of time they'd be there and were prejudiced to begin with.