Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

View Poll Results: What do you dislike about Japan or Japanese people ? (choose all that apply)

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Concrete buildings and the lack of urban planning

15 23.81%
  • Lack of respect of nature (concrete all along the coast, hills, few parks in cities, etc.)

12 19.05%
  • Non-buried electric lines everywhere

18 28.57%
  • Lack of thermic isolation and central heating in houses

20 31.75%
  • 5-month-long muggy summers (except Hokkaido and Tohoku)

21 33.33%
  • Natural disasters (earthquakes, typhoons...)

13 20.63%
  • Lack of preservation of the historical heritage

15 23.81%
  • Political corruption (amakudari system, government using postal savings...)

14 22.22%
  • Police checks on non Japanese (e.g. gaikokujin torokusho)

14 22.22%
  • People pointing or staring at foreigners, or saying "gaijin, gaijin !" or "Hello America !"

16 25.40%
  • People telling you that gaijin come to Japan to make money, when salaries are higher in your country

13 20.63%
  • Assumptions that foreigners in Japan commit much more crimes than the Japanese

24 38.10%
  • Assumptions that almost all foreigners living in Japan cannot speak Japanese

14 22.22%
  • Remarks inspired by jingoism (4 seasons, farmer vs hunter, etc.)

13 20.63%
  • Ignorance about the rest of the world (cultures, geography, history...)

21 33.33%
  • General denial or downplaying of war atrocities

13 20.63%
  • Discrimination in general (toward women, young people, foreigners, burakumin...)

30 47.62%
  • The education system (school + juku + homeworks and they still do not learn anything)

19 30.16%
  • The exceptional Japanese ability to copy what China or the West did/does

5 7.94%
  • Other (please specify)

8 12.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: What do you dislike about Japan ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My Heart lies in Japan. Though I haven't yet been able to physically get there yet (that shall be remedied just before Christmas this year) It has even replaced Switzerland (where I was born) as my country of love. The Tetsudo (JR and private lines) are in my most humble opinion second to none on Planet Earth. I am a Nichiren Buddhist (Nichiren Shu) and (so I have been told) I carry Japanese ancestry as well.

The only shocker that I have run into is the requirement that one must MANDATORILY have a four year college degree -- even if the prospective employer does not require such -- and a two year degree is apparently not acceptable! This is a problem for me as I live for the moment(outside of Switzerland) in a place where higher education that offers 4 year degrees are horribly expensive (非常に高い!) and inaccessable to those less fortunate on an economic or financial level. I only wish that this would be relaxed a bit.

Also Domestic partnership. It would be so nice if the Japanese government would reconsider and allow for domestic relationships that are not necessarily exclusively heterosexual in nature to bring their "significant others" to live with them in Japan proper. Otherwise, I am already considered to be "Japanese" in my mannerism and culture. 私も自分の日本語に取り組んでいます。

どうもありがとうございました! 星の子
    Last edited by Hoshinoko; Jan 6, 2012 at 04:14. Reason: typos