Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

View Poll Results: What do you think should be mentioned in Japanese history textbooks ?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brief outline of WWII only, without reference to war crimes or atrocities

1 4.76%
  • Japan's military advances in Asia, without the description of the war atrocities

0 0%
  • Explanation of the evolution militarism in Japan from Meiji to WWII

17 80.95%
  • Detailed military expansion of Japan, annexation of Korea, Japan's setting up of the Manchurian incident, etc.

17 80.95%
  • The Japanese Army's massacres, rapes and plunder of China and other countries

15 71.43%
  • Japanese biological warfare experiments made on live humans, such as Unit 731

16 76.19%
  • Harsh treatment of POW's (eg. Death Railway) and slave labour used by Japanese zaibatsu

16 76.19%
  • Sexual slavery of tens/hundreds of thousands of Asian and Western women

16 76.19%
  • Mention that the Japanese holocaust cost about 10 to 30 millions lives around Asia

14 66.67%
  • Mention of that 50,000 to 300,000 Chinese died in the Nanking Massacre

17 80.95%
  • Mention of other massacres like Sook Ching, Manilla, Laha, Jinan, etc.

15 71.43%
  • Pictures/videos of atrocities such as the Nanking Massacre

15 71.43%
  • Emphasis on Japan's responsibility for these war crimes

15 71.43%
  • Divine status of the emperor before 1945, and responsibility as supreme commander of the army

13 61.90%
  • Explanation on how Japan has paid reparations and apologised for its war crimes

11 52.38%
  • Explanation on the controversy about the Yasukuni Shrine, and why war criminals should not be worshipped

14 66.67%
  • Other (please specify)

5 23.81%
  • Don't know

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: What should be mentioned in Japanese history textbooks ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I clicked on all except the two first......

It is especially important to explain in history books the atrocities in Manchuria......

Thumbs up The best kind of constructive criticism, Maciamo !

However, I hope it can be supplemented by more polls building upon this great idea. One thing about option no. 16. Shouldn't it be "why war criminals should not be worshipped" ?

quote:
    "Explanation on the controversy about the Yasukuni Shrine, and why war criminals should be worshipped"

Some extra options for future extensions I would hope to see:

19. Assessments of immediate damages that resulted from exploitations by country, by city, by industry.

20. Assessments of immediate damages that resulted from Imperial Japan's war activities.

21. Assessments of immediate damages that resulted from discriminatory treatment of non-Japanese citizens.

22. Assessments of long-term damages to individuals & families due to Japan's war decision.

23. Assessments of the pain, agony, loss of body funtion, body part, or both, leading to the eventual loss of all body parts, and life itself for the majority interned at Unit 731 for the human experiments (‘å“ú–{’é� —¤ŒRè“ŒŽµŽOˆê•”‘à lŠÔ¶é“›‰é„). Did any survive in the end ? Or were all burned to cover it up ? Such questions for discussionin the history classes.

24. Assessments of environmental damages, costs of restoration, and monetary figures after compound interest since the time of destruction to the present. (or the time of reparation made, if any.)

25. Actual repartions made and how those figures compare to the actual/immediate/long-term damages.

26. The internal logic of Pan Asian Commonwealth Sphere, how it was to benefit Imperial Japan, how it was to exploit Asian countries & individuals, how the propaganda was administered, the descrepancy between the ideals and realities of PACS.

27. How Japan got lucky by the Marshall plan; ie. not demanding full reparation, but being offered aid for reconstruction instead, and how that fostered the illusion within certain groups in Japan, that nothing was really wrong with Imperial Japan.

28. How Japan's primary war criminal late Emperor Hirohito got off the hook of the death sentence, and how that perpetrated the false impression of his & Japan's ultimate innocence.

29. How gentle a treatment Japan got when considering the great damage it caused to the world, and how ungrateful Japan has been for the astonishing humane treatment. All it had to offer was preferential treatment to the major occupying forces; the US, and how unfair that was.

30. Why Japan was not allowed to have its own army for the purpose of combating on foreign soil; why Japan cannot ammend its constitution to have an army now, and why it must stay that way forever.

31. Some basic education in philosphy, logic, some simple civics such as being responsible, and how criminal behavior costs the perpetrator in the end. Why lying is bad, although it may look lucrative.

32. The cause & effect relationship in history; e.g. you hit someone, he hits you back, that it is perfectly natural to do so if you don't apologize immediately or go to gaol.

33. How Japan's history education has been misrepresenting reality.

34. The oppression of dissidents to the militarism since Meiji; how may Japanese perished in the torture, in the cells, in the human experiments, or simply fled to another country.

35. An assessment of damages Japan has sufferred due to extremist right wing conservatives' activities.

That's it for now.
    Last edited by lexico; Apr 29, 2005 at 00:19.
    Z: The fish in the water are happy.
    H: How do you know ? You're not fish.
    Z: How do you know I don't ? You're not me.
    H: True I am not you, and I cannot know. Likewise, I know you're not, therefore I know you don't.
    Z: You asked me how I knew implying you knew I knew. In fact I saw some fish, strolling down by the Hao River, all jolly and gay.

--Zhuangzi

Question

Quote Originally Posted by lexico
    However, I hope it can be supplemented by more polls building upon this great idea. One thing about option no. 16. Shouldn't it be "why war criminals should not be worshipped" ?
    Can you comment on this point, please ? Was it meant to be that way; then I don't understand option 16.

Quote Originally Posted by lexico
    Can you comment on this point, please ? Was it meant to be that way; then I don't understand option 16.
    That's right. Soory. I have changed it.

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Heart Look at this, all history lovers !

Thanks, Mac. Now I can vote with peace of mind.

Today I discovered (well rediscovered) this site; unfortunately, they seem to be incomplete. There were claims by some Japanese scholars that certain material were not available by design; the more controversial, sensitive material. So, good, and bad, as anything in life. *sigh*

� —§Œö•¶‘ŠÙ Japan Center for Asian Historical Records

The National Archives of Japan:

Among the collection of the National Archives of Japan, JACAR currently provides access to materials assembled to the Japanese Cabinet from the Meiji era to closing years of World War II during the Showa era. As these materials also include vast amounts relating to domestic affairs, we are extracting those that concern Asian history for the convenience of the user. As of June 2002, JACAR has made approx. 120,000 images and catalog of approx. 30,000 items accessible through the Internet in the 3 historical record series below. We are planning to also provide "Kobun Zassan" (materials not entered in "Kobun Ruishu" that were received by the Cabinet dating from the 19th year of the Meiji era (1886), compiled according to government agency and year), "Goshomei Gempon" (original documents promulgating laws and treaties, with name and seal of the Emperor), "Sumitsuin Kaigi Kankei Shorui" (document related to Privy Council meetings), and others in the future.

Dajo Ruiten

Dajo Ruiten is the compilation of records collected by the Dajokan, the central administrative organ of the Government until the Meiji Government adopted the cabinet system. These records cover the period from October of the 3rd year of the Keio era (1867) to the 14th year of the Meiji era (1881). Consisting of copies and originals of journals of the Dajokan, regulations concerning ceremonies, diplomatic documents, and others, the materials are valuable records of such matters as treaties of friendship Japan concluded with various foreign countries during the early Meiji era.

Kobun Roku

Kobun Roku are original copies of official documents that the Dajokan received from the 1st year of the Meiji era (1868) to Meiji 18 (1885) sorted by ministry or agency concerned and year, designated as the country's important cultural property. Among the records of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs are detailed records concerning establishment of diplomatic relations with various foreign countries, arranged in chronological order.

Kobun Ruishu

Kobun Ruishu is a collection of official documents that were compiled under the Dajo Ruiten title until Meiji 14 (1881) and that took the present title in Meiji 15 (1882). Starting from Meiji 19 (1886), original proceedings for laws and regulations have been placed in this category. As of June 2002, JACAR has provides access through the Internet to Asian historical records up to the 11th year of the Showa era (1936).

(There's more matrerial there with Congress & Navy documents, too !)

Personally this one #26 posted by lexico and also various ones
    (which I never thought of)
    with regards to affects on individuals and their communities
    of war in general should be part of history/civics/social studies
    classes throughout the world, not only in Japan. Such stuff
    is missing from US education as well. The reality is ignored &
    war is glorified and as just explosions and bloody movies.
    Not that I'm against these movies. I think the glorification
    comes from else where.

26. The internal logic of Pan Asian Commonwealth Sphere, how it was to benefit Imperial Japan, how it was to exploit Asian countries & individuals, how the propaganda was administered, the descrepancy between the ideals and realities of PACS.

#26 Is important I think. Since many an imperialistic war has been launched
    on the platform of doing great good for others but only to set up "peaceful" relationships in which one dominates over others. (economically of course,
    what else are wars about? religion [and racism] is mainly used for self-justification. "god is on my side" "god bless my side" [the British
    claimed they were doing others a favor by democra..., err "civilizing"
    the "uncivilized". Japanese imperialists claimed to be freeing their
    Asian bretheran from European colonialists only to take their place
    and used the "trade agreement" mentioned in #26 as their "peace-time"
    blue print to justify the domination. i think? do i digress?])

Should war criminals that escaped persecution because they
    were useful to the victors, should that be covered in Japanese
    history? Examples : Yoshio Kodama & Ryoichi Sasakawa both
    were classified as Class A war criminals, yet the United States
    secured their release to work for them.

Does German history mention nazi war criminals that the US
    helped escape persecution and put to work doing the exact same things?
    check out this awesome shirt.
    If You're Really a Goth, Where Were You When We Sacked Rome?
    no, i got nothing against goths. just think the shirt is neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Sukotto
    Does German history mention nazi war criminals that the US
    helped escape persecution and put to work doing the exact same things?
    Yes, it does. Although they did not do exactly the same things, one main difference was that they didn't have slave workers for their projects anymore.