Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: For our Japanese readers : Things you should not say to Westerners

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Agreed. Whatever you call it inferiority and superiority complex or not. Not like Akutagawa, but I suppose many Japanese share a vague sense of anxiety about thier own identities and/or futures. So some are involved in pepit nationalism like anti-Chinese, some shopaholic, and some yong sama lovers.

But is that kind of complex/anxiety unique to Japan?
    I don't know why Europe with its diversified society and history has immigrant problems. Is it just because the immigrants have difficulties in assimilating the community?
    I don't know whay 91 percent of Americans believe the illegal immigration problem is very serious or somewhat serious. Or is it just because it was the FOX's surevey?

Aside from US issue, I am personally curious whether EU really overcome the nation state. I am not sure. Just wait and see the experiment.

Your friend and wife must be super intelligent kids remembering what they learned ages ago. But I am also wondering why it took so long time to know the four_season_only_in_Japan stuff before they started traveling overseas. Or I suppose they must become travelers soon after they graduated from their elementary schools.
    It is much easier to criticize the educational system than confessing your ignorance. Of course, I am also the one blaiming the system, in my case it is the J teachers' union, though.

I think Japanese people who compliment on chopstick use are genuinely impressed. They figure that, as a Japanese person, they have a lot more practice at using chopsticks than a foreigner (and rightly so) and are amazed that you have developed the ability to use them naturally. They would be similarly amazed to see a gaijin speak perfect Japanese. I think it's justifiably noteworthy when someone can do well at something that isn't native to them. Using chopsticks is a skill and it does need to be learned. I don't think anyone uses chopsticks well the first time they try.
    For information on the pros and cons of teaching at Nova English schools in Japan, check out