Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: No Japanese credit cards for foreigners ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontman View Post
    I applied for a credit card from JP Bank about 3 months after arriving in Japan on a one-year work visa. A week after mailing in my application the bank called my company to verify my employment. They then spoke to me on the phone and asked to to verify my date of birth, and address. About 3 weeks later the card was delivered to my door. JP bank cards are apparently issued by SMBC.
    Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that many American banks won't mail your bill to Japan, or that they require an American address. This was not true in my case. I have a World MC from Citi, another World MC from Juniper, and a Disney Visa from Chase, all three banks had no problem changing to my Japan address, and I receive bills from them in the mail each month.
    I'm still trying to work something out with Amex. I have an Amex Platinum which I love to have for the travel perks, but the Japanese Amex Platinum has a much higher annual fee (the American annual fee is already $450 per year).
    You got b/c you have other credit cards.

Quote Originally Posted by FrustratedDave View Post
    Doesn't matter. Every credit card company has its own rules. Coworker of mine has lived here for over 20 years, owns property, built his own house, speaks fluent Japanese, has Japanese wife and kid, etc. Of course, he has other credit cards.

He was denied a credit card from a lousy gasoline company. When he phoned them to ask why, they wouldn't tell him. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    No problems at all. Being able to confirm all the info on your application when they call in Japanese without hesitation seems to be a major requirement.
    That doesn't mean much...
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenski View Post
    Doesn't matter. Every credit card company has its own rules. Coworker of mine has lived here for over 20 years, owns property, built his own house, speaks fluent Japanese, has Japanese wife and kid, etc. Of course, he has other credit cards.
    He was denied a credit card from a lousy gasoline company. When he phoned them to ask why, they wouldn't tell him. Go figure.
    Agreed, holding another credit card does not garrentee you passing . But everytime I applied in the past and was rejected, I rang the comapanies and everytime I was asked if I had another credit card, it just seems to be a major requirement.

I've done some translation and interpretation work for a credit card company here. They tend to be more receptive to applicants working for large, recognizable companies (i.e. GEOS as opposed to Bob's English School). More receptive to those with a land-line as their main contact point, as opposed to a cell number. More receptive to those who use a Japanese driver's license as ID rather than a foreign residents' card. Much more receptive to those who can answer the confirmation phone call in passable Japanese. YMMV.

I've done some translation and interpretation work for a credit card company here. They tend to be more receptive to applicants working for large, recognizable companies (i.e. GEOS as opposed to Bob's English School). More receptive to those with a land-line as their main contact point, as opposed to a cell number. More receptive to those who use a Japanese driver's license as ID rather than a foreign residents' card. Much more receptive to those who can answer the confirmation phone call in passable Japanese. YMMV.
    Although the things you say are true, but being reseptive is where it ends, it still won't have much of a bearing on if you can get the card or not.

Trust when I say that it was ridiculus that I got turned down the amount of times I did. So I rang up the bank manager and told him to get down to my office and get on the phone and have the card company approve my request, of corse I got the card.

I believe a big problem is that foriegners go home without paying payments and it has affected us all.

My friend had all of those requirements. Opinion now?

Opinion now?
    1. Total years of continuous (full-time) employment in the company then
    2. How many cards did he have then?
    3. Total debt incl. mortgage
    Your cases sometimes sound somewhat exceptional and/or ambiguous, though I don't need his personal info above. If he is really upset about the rejection, I highly recommend that he should ask the competent organization for his credit history, "how clean he is?".

*snip
    This is not about Glenski case, but general info for people, Japanese/non-Japanese, who want to get a card.
    4. Which card, bank/retailer/sarakin (consumer loan firm) or else were you applied?
    I think Japan is the easiest and cheapest country to open your bank account, but the credit card of banks is the hardest credit card you can get.
    5. How many times did you applied to a card in a short period of time?
    6. How many times did you was rejected?

E-bank offers you a card with visa debit card, so when you desperately want to buy something online, just apply to it.

*snip 2
    This is a kind reform recommendation from the US.
    Credit Bureaus: Promote sound credit underwriting,
    deter excessive lending and improve consumer
    welfare
    and competitive credit markets by creating a
    legal and regulatory framework for a credit bureau
    system that facilitates more accurate risk pricing for
    consumers and small businesses by collecting and
    providing fair, open access to comprehensive full-file
    credit information.
    I read Japan will soon start the similar credit history hell in accordance with the recommendation above. I think it is good to change the present saving-crazy mindset of the Japanese, esp., the elderly people, but the excessive lending must be one of the reason of the present financial crisis... Sorry if the new spending-crazy Japanese would cause another troubles in 20XX.

Banned
    My friend had all of those requirements. Opinion now?
    Maybe he was disqualified on his choice of friends?

Seriously, all banks using different scoring systems - it could have been as simple as the amount of credit he already has.

Quote Originally Posted by FrustratedDave View Post
    They did not ask me if I had any other credit cards, nor was there such request on the application. I do not speak much Japanese, so that was also not much of a factor. The only positive thing that weighed in my favor was that I do work for a large company.