Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: Common Japanese misconceptions regarding foreigners

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    "Chinese and English are similar" that's the strangest thing I've ever heard. But then, most Westerns believe that Chinese and Japanese are very similar. When in fact, coming from someone who's studied both Chinese and Japanese, they're very different languages. However, it would probably make more sense for Chinese and Japanese to sound more similar than English and Chinese.
    "Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot."
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
    by Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)

Quote Originally Posted by Ma Cherie
    "Chinese and English are similar" that's the strangest thing I've ever heard.
    I may not have been the first to say it, but I do believe that Chinese & English share many interesting features. Please see this thread Write English in Kanji, post #13.
    Z: The fish in the water are happy.
    H: How do you know ? You're not fish.
    Z: How do you know I don't ? You're not me.
    H: True I am not you, and I cannot know. Likewise, I know you're not, therefore I know you don't.
    Z: You asked me how I knew implying you knew I knew. In fact I saw some fish, strolling down by the Hao River, all jolly and gay.

--Zhuangzi

Chinese and Japanese are probably about as similar as English and French or something. But I don't know any Chinese or French, so what do I know?
    For information on the pros and cons of teaching at Nova English schools in Japan, check out

What are some common Japanese misconceptions of people who look Indian (from India)? Just curious, since most of the talk seems to be how Japanese view white people.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbackman
    What are some common Japanese misconceptions of people who look Indian (from India)? Just curious, since most of the talk seems to be how Japanese view white people.
    My darling you'll probably get stared at, gawked at possibly, asked questions that would seem stupid to you, just like most foreigners who travel to Japan. I wouldn't worry too much about that, though. Because you'll probably end up making friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbackman
    Hey, I wrote the article and I am not Indian, so I will not venture say what Japanese think of/react to Indian people without a solid experience on the matter.

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Quote Originally Posted by lexico
    I may not have been the first to say it, but I do believe that Chinese & English share many interesting features. Please see this thread Write English in Kanji, post #13.
    Thanks for referring my idea, but that works for about all European languages (at least the Romance and Germanic ones + Greek). In fact, it works best of all with Greek. When I was 10-11 years old, we learnt the roots of Latin and Greek words at school (I suppose other European children did too), such as "democracy" comes from Greek "demos" (the people) and "cratos" (power") so power to the people.