Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: Fluent Foreigners Now Accepted In Japan!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I've been studying the language for the past year, and am taking college classes in the language and culture. I have went there although only for a few weeks (sort of a vacation thing I guess).

I should probably remove my age from display because it provokes arrogance and stereotypical assumptions that I don't know what im talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderthief View Post
    I've been studying the language for the past year, and am taking college classes in the language and culture. I have went there although only for a few weeks (sort of a vacation thing I guess).

I should probably remove my age from display because it provokes arrogance and stereotypical assumptions that I don't know what im talking about.
    Nothing to do with stereotypes and everything to do with math, actually.

Knowing that you visited Japan for a few weeks while speaking practically zero Japanese helps us to know with how large a truckload of salt we are to take your initial comments. Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderthief View Post

Age has nothing to do with this. It's both the wildly exaggerated content of your message combined with the fact that you've only ever been in Japan for a few weeks--and on vacation, at that.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but understand that, to most of us, it's a pretty far-out opinion that contradicts what most of us have experienced here and has nothing to back it up but 'I've been studying Japanese and visited Japan briefly.' Like Mike Cash said, there's an element of truth there, but it's buried under several layers of hyperbole.