Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Discrimination in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Rioneru View Post
    As stated many times before, racism, prejudice, and discrimination are everywhere. I've never been to Japan, but I've heard more bad talk on foreign treatment than good. I've heard enough to dissuade any non-Japanese person to even want to visit. However, I've heard very good stories too and it is with a clear conscience I will first visit Japan to assess for myself.

As an American, I see many foreigners come here on their own accord, often in search of a better life. Now whether the move was instigated by those glorifying America or damning it; point is, travelers and immigrants alike find out for themselves.

If you base yourself solely on fears erected by others, where goes personal experience?
    That's a really good point. I haven't spent as much time as others in Japan but I would consider the sum of my experiences quite typical and at least more informed (based solely on length of stay) than the average vacationer. That being said I'd be one of those people likely to offer positive experiences, as they are what remain in my mind. I guess others have had a rougher ride than me. Why this is I do not know. But I will say, to your point on personal experience and fear, that if you (meaning anyone) approaches Japan with this mindset or chooses to adopt it quickly after one negative experience, they will begin to see discrimination where it doesn't exist.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bakaKanadajin View Post
    I guess others have had a rougher ride than me. Why this is I do not know..

Maybe because they have been their longer and had more experiences.

I'm sure if you stayed long enough, you would find out all the little things that happen..

I used to HATE it when the old lady cleaner used to watch over the urinal whilst I was doing a pee, and that's no joke!

Apart from that, I found that racism and discrimination came from the male side of things..

I never had any problems, infact, the opposite with Japanese women..

Maybe it's a jealousy thing on the part of Japanese males?

When you move from a country where you're part of the dominant race to a country where you're part of the minority, you'll have a strong tendency to interpret things as discrimination when something goes wrong. This is even moreso if the culture is different from your country--say an open, gregarious cuture vs a closed, reserved culture.

You need to be more patient in Japan and try to understand what is really going on than to quickly and stupidly paint everything as discrimination/racism.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyoto Returnee View Post
    Maybe because they have been their longer and had more experiences.

I'm sure if you stayed long enough, you would find out all the little things that happen..

Doesn't make a huge difference, if its as bad as some make it out to be I'd have the same relative amount of exposure and would have come away with the same attitude. If the longer you're there the more they dislike you you're doing something wrong.

And if you have a genuine interest in Japanese culture I think it shows. People who were interested like that never had a bad time where I lived, even in the face of a little discrimination. The people who suffered the most were the ones who didn't really want to be there but had no exit strategy, knew very little Japanese relative to the amount of time they'd be there and were prejudiced to begin with.

bakaKanadajin and Ocean Dude.
    I like how the two of you just explained your points.

Ocean Dude, some people may argue that you're talking about
    perception more than action, so be prepared for that.

bakaKanadajin, I agree that discrimination is more of a problem
    for people who feel less connected than for those who feel
    more connected. I've had to work for racist bosses that blame
    me for other employees mistakes, I grew up in ghettos,
    I've even been ignored in places of business in favor of a
    person of another race. Those things do bother me, but not
    much, I feel more connected with Japan than I do here.
    I can accept that discrimination.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789