Many of you here surely know at least a few Japanese manga. But what about European ones ? I suppose that everyone must know "Tintin", which has been translated in about 40 languages (including Japanese). Each episode has become an anime and 3 original stories have been made for movies with real actors. It also has fan shops (esp. clothes) to its name around the world (also in Tokyo).

Most European will also know the French comics "Asterix". The story takes place in 50BC France ("Gaul"). The little blond-haired and moustached Gaul and his friend Obelix fight the Roman invadors thanks to the magic potion prepared by the druid Panoramix. The stories are highly stereotypical of modern European nations and very funny in French, but unfortunately difficult to translate because of the numerous puns.

Asterix's first book was published in 1961 and still continues. It has been translated in virtually all European languages, including several dialects as well as in Latin and Ancient Greek !
In addition to anime adaptations, 2 recent movies starring all the most famous French actors have been immensely successful in France (highest spectator turn-out ever).

I am particularily interested in what non-European member know.

The most famous European manga/comics, like Tintin, are from Belgium. Naturally, a tiny country like that (smaller than Kyushu) cannot compete with Japan in number, but the quality is undeniable. I have linked them to the Wikipedia when articles where available.

Among those I know are :

- Spirou & Fantasio (& Marsupilami) : one of the most famous. It started in 1938 and continued till the author's death in 1997. Spirou has its own magazine (le journal de Spirou).
- Gaston la gaffe : a simple-minded friend of Spirou who cannot helping "gaffing" all the time. Humouristic.
- Les Schtroumpfs (The Smurfs) : the famous litle blue creatures living in mushrooms have had their adventures translated in nearly 30 languages. Mostly for children, though.
- Bob & Bobette : known as Spike and Suzy in the UK or Willy and Wanda in the USA, it is one of the only famous Flemish (i.e. Dutch-spaking Belgian) comics. However it has over 200 books, which makes it one of the longest.
- Le Scrameustache : a sort of human-like cat coming from another galaxy on a UFO. With his newly made human friends, he goes around the world (or to other planets inhabited by little green people, with his UFO), that in mixed historical, archeological and science-fiction story.

Interestingly, quite a few Belgian comics have stories based in the (faraway) US.

- Lucky Luck : the well-known cow-bow that shoots faster than its shadow. He is a fierce protector of justice and pass most of his time swarting the 4 vilainous Dalton brothers plans.
- Les Tuniques Bleus : adventures of a sergeant and corporal of the US army fighting the confederates during the American Civil War. Comedy and historical adventures. One of my childhood's favourite.
- Yakari : adventures of a young native Indian in the great plains and forests of the US/Canada before colonization.

You can find a more detailed list of European Comics here