Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: Crazy about food ?

Crazy about food ?

Italian restaurants put to the test

The Italian Government is launching a new initiative to put some authenticity back into Italian restaurants which dot almost every corner of the globe.

The scheme, to be announced by the Agriculture Ministry, will test the red, white and green credentials of trattorias, pizzerias and ristorantes around the world - many of which are Italian in name alone.
    Italians are also irritated when they go abroad to find the most basic terms mis-spelled on so-called Italian menus.
    I don't know what's the power of the Italian government abroad, but if they really can force standards on world-wide Italian restaurants, then it's going to bring a lot of confusion. Imagine all Japanese Italian restaurants having to change their name because they don't serve authentic Italian food. On the other hand, I understand Italian people. Japanese do the same abroad ; they wouldn't trust Japanese food to be authentic if the cooks are not Japanese using only imported Japanese produce. I've read somewhere that China wanted to patent traditional food name. So you couldn't call a dish Peking duck if the restaurant is not approved by the Chinese gov.

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Considering the sorry state of sushi abroad (=outside Japan) I'm waiting for an official sushi campaign launched by the Japanese government. As for pasta purification: let people's stomachs decide.

@ Thomas
    :P
    You've never been to the places I've been to in the states. My favorite sushi bars put Sapporo ones to shame on the average.

@ Italian food in Japan.
    True the Japanese have Japanized it but I'd say on the average Italian food is more "Italy" Italian than restaruants in the Sates which are a "New York" Italian in flavor.

I like "New York" style better though since I'm a tomato flavor nut.
    crazy gonna crazy

@ sushi abroad

I referred to the countless Vietnamese, Chinese and Koreans who jumped on the sushi bandwagon. We have excellent Japanese sushi bars here.

There's this Italian chain in Japan called "Seicento", the only place that would satisfy my appetite without spending heaps of ¥¥¥, lol.

Oh, that's true ! I remember the impressive number of Japanese restaurants when I went to Vienna. That's probably the European city with the most of them (and still, Austria has no sea ! Does all the fish come just from the Adriatic ?).

I've read somewhere that nowadays fish travels up to 40.000 km(!) until it is served, so it's difficult to say where our sushi actually come from. Glorious globalization.

Yeah, I have heard that the fish and seafood in Tsukiji Market (Tokyo) could come from the Atlantic, Mediteranean or anywhere in the world within 48h (but you pay for it !). I am still wondering how ships can be so fast. ? Or do they bring them by plane ?

40.000km being the equator length, I guess at best 20.000km one way or the other. BTW, do you live in Vienna

They are caught, processed right on board and sent by plane all over the world within 24 hours. Their logistics are really amazing.

Yep, we are living in Vienna, Sacher cake and waltz.

@ logistics
    then that must be one of the reasons why japanese food is so expensive!

That's true, especially in regard to fish. Japanese consume about 30% of fresh fish, however, global fish consumption is on the rise too.

@ high prices

Actuality facts ...
    minumum wage in Sapporo is like 680 yen
    rent prices are close to Tokyo or even more expensive
    number of employees are normally higher ... gas stand 3-5 during day and about 2 now at night.

what they don't tell you ...
    Japan does occur higher base costs but don't let that fool you. Prices are higher just to make a higher profit. period. This is enforced by perpetuating the ever lasting image of higher prices = higher quality.

Most Japanese outside of the Kansai folks never complain directly to the markets or shops about prices. They just accept prices as a fact of life.

hehe ... I bet most books won't say that!

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    Considering the sorry state of sushi abroad (=outside Japan) I'm waiting for an official sushi campaign launched by the Japanese government.
    Non-sushi Japanese dishes are pretty disasterous too.

Government to Certify Real Japanese Food
    The program is aimed at promoting "authentic Japanese food culture" overseas as many restaurants in other countries that claim to serve Japanese food are actually offering dishes that are not traditional Japanese cuisine, the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries said.

What amazes me is that tomatoes are not origianlly from Italy...I can't imagine pizza without tomatoe sauce. I just don't think it matters how food is spelled on a menu or prepared as long as the people who are eating it are satisfied. I would be more concerned about the spelling in my own country and not worry 'bout the rest of the world.
    I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it. ~Jack Handey

My old high school French teacher of Italian ancestry once explained to us kids,pizza was originally an Italian " pie " with no sauce or choices of topping.

My ex-husband (from Italy) told me that it was a food for the poor and then the Queen Margherita (sorry for the spelling) wanted to try it so a pizza maker made a pizza with the colors of the Italian flag. (cheese, tomatoes, and basil) She loved it....

Considering the sorry state of sushi abroad (=outside Japan) I'm waiting for an official sushi campaign launched by the Japanese government. As for pasta purification: let people's stomachs decide.
    That may be a good (and timely) idea since it seems that most sushi establishments in Los Angeles seem to be Korean-run.

Armand's Rancho del Cielo

Quote Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post

most sushi establishments in Los Angeles seem to be Korean-run.

Same scenario in northern California,many Japanese restaurants are S Korean-owned.

Quote Originally Posted by ricecake View Post
    Same scenario in northern California,many Japanese restaurants are S Korean-owned.
    So I've heard. There seems to be at least one sushi restaurant every two blocks on Ventura Blvd. in the San Fernando Valley in L.A.

At least now I have two sushi restaurants in Tokyo that I like. One in Aqua City and one in Hibiya Park (a revolving sushi restaurent under the tracks).

in spain japanese restaurant are very expensive and considere luxury.we don't have japanese take away as we have the chinese ones

海外日本食レストラン認証

Considering the sorry state of sushi abroad (=outside Japan) I'm waiting for an official sushi campaign launched by the Japanese government.
    Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries wants opinions on the certificate program. The official told on the phone that messages in English is perfectly fine, so please give them ideas as well as experiences and wishes. The link is:

海外日本食レストラン認証への意見募集
    Last edited by bezz; Dec 13, 2006 at 00:09.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
    That may be a good (and timely) idea since it seems that most sushi establishments in Los Angeles seem to be Korean-run.
    A program launched by JETRO in Paris:

Campagne Restaurants Japonais Authentiques

Well I think is right to protect your products firstof all to protectyuor investimentsand thsn to protect your customares making them sure that a product is safe for healt and good to eat!!

Certification of Japanese Restaurants outside Japan

Govt Alters Plan to Check Overseas Japanese Meals
    The Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Ministry has decided to abandon a plan to establish uniform criteria for judging whether the meals served by Japanese restaurants overseas are authentic.
    It is said that the true reason was a certain non-Japanese cult religion that dominates ingredient distribution in the US.

Spelling doesn't bother me much (o.k. it does bother me a bit), but what bugs me more is when Italian phrases/names are abused - extreme case is Starschmucks with their 'Venti' size cups. The volume has nothing to do with 20 afaik does it? Or (at least here in NZ) where, when you order a cafe longo (they call it a tall black - wtf? why not call it a long espresso?) they put in too much - they actually pour in extra hot water, thereby turning it into a cafe Americano. That really grinds my gears. Unfortunately, I let it get to me last Saturday, and now my OH half suspended my cafe privileges until whe move to Italy. But that's ok, at least I know how to make what is on the menu in an Italiano cafe, not some popularised perversion.
    Last edited by Pepe; Jun 5, 2007 at 10:19. Reason: Added some words to make it understandable.