Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 日本人のよく間違う英語 - common mistakes made by Japanese in English

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo
    We dont say "come to my home" or "go to your home".
    Well you're right that 'we' don't say "go to your home" (just "go home"), but I'm not so sure that 'we' don't say "come to my home".

IMO "come home" can only be used when it is clear from context that it is your home you are talking about.

1. "Babysitter wanted to come home and keep an eye on my daughter(8yrs)."
    Looks bad to me. It could be /your/ home or the /babysitter's/ home.
    2. "Babysitter wanted to come to my home and keep an eye on my daughter(8yrs)."
    I'd use this sentence.
    3. "Babysitter wanted to come to my house and keep an eye on my daughter(8yrs)."
    Is also OK.
    Last edited by PaulTB; Apr 30, 2004 at 00:13. Reason: Wandering brackets fixed.

However we say "arrive at home" and "be at home" . Americans also say "arrive home" and "be home" informally.
    My interest is piqued on who 'we' are as well....including Americans ? I don't think I'm ever said or heard "arrive at home" for arriving at my own home, just arrive at the house. The only case I can think where it might possibly be applicable would be on an itinerary or travel schedule of some sort. Leave home (or leave the house) 9:00, Arrive at (someone else's or groups) home 9:30, etc Arriving at home may be OK if it's in contrast to arriving at other destinations but there's still something not quite right about it.
    Last edited by Elizabeth; Apr 30, 2004 at 01:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac
    Why don't you come home?
    I'd say : "Why don't you come to my house".

Quote Originally Posted by PaulTB
    Well you're right that 'we' don't say "go to your home" (just "go home"), but I'm not so sure that 'we' don't say "come to my home".

IMO "come home" can only be used when it is clear from context that it is your home you are talking about.

1. "Babysitter wanted to come home and keep an eye on my daughter(8yrs)."
    Looks bad to me. It could be /your/ home or the /babysitter's/ home.
    2. "Babysitter wanted to come to my home and keep an eye on my daughter(8yrs)."
    I'd use this sentence.
    3. "Babysitter wanted to come to my house and keep an eye on my daughter(8yrs)."
    Is also OK.
    I'd choose no 3. "my home" sounds like Japanese English to me. Using a possessive pronoun, "house" is more suitable than "home". If it's confusing whose home it is, then say "my/your/his/her house".

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth
    My interest is piqued on who 'we' are as well....including Americans ?
    I mentioned that Americans said "be home" or "arrive home" instead of "be at home" or "arrive at home". However, the latter is used in British English, which includes about all varieties of English in the world (Australia, Singapore, India, half of Africa, Ireland, Jamaica...) except (North) American English.

I mentioned that Americans said "be home" or "arrive home" instead of "be at home" or "arrive at home". However, the latter is used in British English, which includes about all varieties of English in the world (Australia, Singapore, India, half of Africa, Ireland, Jamaica...) except (North) American English.
    I figured that's probably what "American's also" meant in this case....just to make it clear for everyone else.

I'd choose no 3. "my home" sounds like Japanese English to me. Using a possessive pronoun, "house" is more suitable than "home". If it's confusing whose home it is, then say "my/your/his/her house".
    Like Paultb, I'd give a slight edge to "my home" in the case of a babysitter, private tutor/instructor or health care provider etc. "My house" looks more appropriate for anything dealing with the physical infrastructure -- a repair/installation/maintainance type situation. Needing an electrician to come to my house for the setup and wiring.
    Last edited by Elizabeth; Apr 30, 2004 at 12:40.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123