Quote Originally Posted by kirei_na_me
In the U.S., most washing machines are top loaders. They've only recently started making a lot of washers front loading.
Really ? I had never seen top-loaders before coming to Japan. In Japanese shops 95% are top-loaders and I think front-loaders are also new.

I still think having the shower as a room is the best thing ever. Just go in there and shower in a large space and not have to worry about the water because it's tiled and has a drain in the floor! That would just be so great. At my house, we have to worry about the wood trim and wallpaper in the bathrooms getting damp, so we have to have exhaust fans and all that.
Completely agree. There is also no risk of slipping on the tiled floor when going out of the shower or bath when there is no carpet. There is enough space to dry oneself in the "o-furo room" itself.

The only inconvenience is that Japanese bathroom are far from fancy, usually without window (or just a small one) and no decoration at all. You can't relax in your jacuzzi contemplating the nice bathroom, tiled with beautiful design on the walls, illumated with bright halogen light with pink or orange halo and listenning to classical music, with all the foam and aromatic oils or salts (as Japanese don't usually put anything in the water).

Actualy, I am playing the devil's advocate, as I personally don't like baths. I don't like inactivity get annoyed while waiting it fills up and once I am in, I want to go out after 2min because I am thinking about other things more interesting to do.