Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: Foreigners' Chinese culture talent show,contestants in this show puts me into shame..

Foreigners' Chinese culture talent show,contestants in this show puts me into shame..

I just watched the Foreigners' Chinese culture talent show 2004 held in China

the foreigners,mostly Western people,and one Japanese guy,
    they have been studying about Chinese culture and language or lived in China for a long time,
    they speak fluent Mandarin
    they could sing in Mandarin
    one white woman sang in some dialect of a Chinese minority group even most of the audiences didn't understand what she was singing,
    one white man was accepted to the Shaolin Temple to learn Shaolin Kung Fu,he was the second foreigner ever accepted by the Shaolin Temple and he studied there for 3 years

this really puts me into shame,
    as a Chinese,I am very poor in Mandarin (I am a Cantonse speaker)
    I had to read the Chinese subtitles to understand what they were saying
    I am not very familiar with the Chinese history,I am poor in writing Chinese (but I can read them well),
    maybe thats due to I came to Vancouver when I was 9 and my parents didn't put me into some Chinese classes...

if I ever go back to China,I think I will need some serious lessons of Chinese language,culture and history,
    maybe even learn some Kung Fu since I like it

Omnipotence personified Mandylion's Avatar
    Ah, the unintended results of international festivals, shaming the audience

Don't feel bad Dream Time. I think it is wonderful you want to get in touch with your roots. Maybe you discovered those feelings in a slightly embarassing way but the great thing is you have the will to learn something new. That is never a bad thing.

On the other hand, might it be that the folks you saw are all just a little geeky? This might be a bit of Japanese thinking for you, but my wife is convinced people who spend a lot of time learning obscure things about a foreign country are a special breed of nerds. Impressive nerds, but nerds nonetheless. Take me for example - I know far more than a normal person should about odd Japanese stuff (as all the sword posts of late prove). Very little of this knowledge serves a purpose. While not quite otaku yet, I am quite un-cool...rather proud of my un-coolness, much to my wife's chagrin.

Anyway, your tag says you are in Vancouver, right? Aren't there some Chinese language courses or such you could take? Probably a kung fu school around (might I suggest wing chung) to.

no reason to be ashamed

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Time
    I am not very familiar with the Chinese history
    If you go to Guangdong you will have no problem communicating without Mandarin. Your mothertongue is Cantonese, I suppose. Why then should it be shameful not to have acquired a certain 2nd language?
    Mandarin will of course be useful in other parts of China, though.

Not being very familiar with Chinese history is nothing to be ashamed of either. Most Chinese aren't. Apart from some stereotypes or buzzwords most people don't know very much about their history. That counts for most people in most of the countries in the world, BTW.

This has nothing to do with China but similar. I'm French speaker, but due to living in a English city my whole life I'm loosing my French skills mostly writing. Its so bad now that I can't write a sentence without making a mistake.
    I remember my teacher saying to me once, "start reading more in French or you will loose your skills". Back then I laughed at her, telling myself how can I lose my mother language. Well now I see what she meant and the thing who started it all I would say its my computer. When I use my pc its always in English I even chat with my French friends in English. Sure now my English is way better then before but my French is crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Time
    I just watched the Foreigners' Chinese culture talent show 2004 held in China

the foreigners,mostly Western people,and one Japanese guy,
    they have been studying about Chinese culture and language or lived in China for a long time,
    they speak fluent Mandarin
    they could sing in Mandarin
    one white woman sang in some dialect of a Chinese minority group even most of the audiences didn't understand what she was singing,
    one white man was accepted to the Shaolin Temple to learn Shaolin Kung Fu,he was the second foreigner ever accepted by the Shaolin Temple and he studied there for 3 years

this really puts me into shame,
    I am not very familiar with the Chinese history,I am poor in writing Chinese (but I can read them well),
    maybe thats due to I came to Vancouver when I was 9 and my parents didn't put me into some Chinese classes...

if I ever go back to China,I think I will need some serious lessons of Chinese language,culture and history,
    maybe even learn some Kung Fu since I like it
    Instead of drowning yourself in self-pity why dont you go do something about it ?
    I Live In Your Toilet, Smells Bad In Here...

My Comic Strip Blog: http://www.kuso4649gaki.co.uk

Past the second star to the left and straight on 'til morning
    Aw don't worry about it Dream Time, I think it's great to get back in touch with your roots. I myself was born in Canada, but the rest of my family was born and raised in El Salvador. The only thing I can do now is read it, write (very poorly) and just understand it. I act as a translator some times at school. But for the most part I don't know squat.
    I think you should be proud of what you know and keep developing your weaker (and stronger) points.
    Be proud of who you are! *raises Canadian flag*
    if strawberries were people....
    I'd still eat them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandylion
    I know far more than a normal person should about odd Japanese stuff (as all the sword posts of late prove). Very little of this knowledge serves a purpose. While not quite otaku yet, I am quite un-cool...rather proud of my un-coolness, much to my wife's chagrin.
    So sorry for the digression, Dream Time ....but someone at work today mentioned a Japanese sword as a possible mantle piece for their living room and wondered if I'd look into it next time I was actually there. I didn't get any initial price considerations, but what exactly would be the differences visually or structurally to a non-otaku between a $50.00 (is it even possible ?) factory-made basically oversized toy and a quality blacksmith's 20th Century replica of the real thing which might start you at $5,000 ?

You SPAM/We BAN !

I Have A Rep. Sword About 30 Years Old .

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth
    So sorry for the digression, Dream Time ....but someone at work today mentioned a Japanese sword as a possible mantle piece for their living room and wondered if I'd look into it next time I was actually there. I didn't get any initial price considerations, but what exactly would be the differences visually or structurally to a non-otaku between a $50.00 (is it even possible ?) factory-made basically oversized toy and a quality blacksmith's 20th Century replica of the real thing which might start you at $5,000 ?
    It still looks good. The big thing is the blade is made of a brittle metal that will not take a sharp edge and will snap if used to strike anything hard. Just to look at !!

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D. White
    It still looks good. The big thing is the blade is made of a brittle metal that will not take a sharp edge and will snap if used to strike anything hard. Just to look at !!

Frank
    You're referring to a have a lower quality, machine made speciman that has kept it's shape after 30 years? I wouldn't even know where to begin searching in this country, maybe out of the way places like gun shows or armories or such? At least there should be plenty of private dealers well tested and marketed in Japan.

dream time - hahaha... if you think you're bad... I'm hopeless! ^o^
    *~Mayura~*