Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

View Poll Results: What are your interests for Japan ?

Voters
846. You may not vote on this poll
  • Manga & Anime

487 57.57%
  • Video games

335 39.60%
  • Martial Arts

269 31.80%
  • Culture in general

602 71.16%
  • J-pop

330 39.01%
  • Japanese people (friendship or more)

596 70.45%
  • Japanese language

613 72.46%
  • Japanese food

477 56.38%
  • Traditional Japan (tea ceremony, geisha, kabuki, noh, ikebana, ...)

403 47.64%
  • Religion (shinto, buddhism, zen...)

196 23.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your interests for Japan ?

I知 interested in the culture, the discipline, how everything they do is an art and how they take responsibility for what they say. There school system, they don稚 punish the students but leave them to take care of their own problem, and the way they focus more tests than hating school or teachers. I especially appreciate the art of calligraphy, I知 interested in their history especially where the samurai are concerned, and their legends are so beautiful. The food, it痴 so light and healthy, and the portions are small, control. Of course anime, video games, martial arts got me started. I like the way their music has a sort of retro, dark, Spanish feel, it痴 quite different, and then there is the koto *sigh*
    Last edited by Raven; Oct 9, 2004 at 00:03.
    "We Suzaku No Seishi aren't smart enough to give up!" Tasuki

My personal preferences are japanese martial arts...
    I have been practiced for many years Karate (godan) and Jujitsu..
    a little Iaido and I would like to practice Kyudo.
    About japanese culture tea cerimony it is very interesting for me
    Zen meditation, and ancient Bushido.
    I am too old for manga etc.....

i love my japanese wife, our two kids and our house. and the low crime rate and beautiful women. apart from that, i'd rather live in the UK or Thailand.

Well lets see, first of all i adore anime and manga, after all, they're what first sparked my interest in japan. Then comes the modern culture which unfluenced me to look into Japanese history and delve into ancient Japan.
    From that comes the latest part that i have grown to embrace (or at least parts of it), Bushido, I believe its principles are still worth anhering to.

Custom Graphix Artist Martialartsnovice's Avatar
    My interests in Japan are the Martial Arts, Language, Culture, Cuisine, and the friendships, Ive had with a Japanese girl through the Foreign Exchange program, She stayed at my scholl for half the year then transfered to California.
    “To every man there comes a time in his lifetime that special moment when he is figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered the chance to do a very special thing unique to him and fitted to his talent; what a tragedy if that moment finds him unprepared or unqualified for the work which would be his finest hour.”

Sir Winston Churchill

nice to read what interests poeple have

Comfortably Ignorant Faustianideals's Avatar
    Well, I kinda wanna takeover Japan and throw it into a world of chaos and famine....

I'm interested in many things about Japan, food, language, traditions, dances, music, festivals, religion, geography and so on. Japan is my favourite country, wakarimasen ka? Greating from Spain. Ki o tsuke te.

Manga & Anime: Of course! Seriously, I can't find a single Jap who DOESN'T like one or the other. I mean, they come in all genres for all ages. I don't see why there'd be an opposition, cept by gaijins totally misinterpreting anime. "Why's their hair blue? " *ugh*

Video games: They started it all! Again, all ages, all genres. I am an absolute DDR FREAK! I remember when I first played DDR in Tokyo. I sucked and was laughed at, but then when I found the local American Arcade got it I tried it. Again no good, but then Playstation had it, and THAT did it.

Anyways, video games are just great. Nuff said

Martial Arts: Well, this is more of a biproduct of video games and Japanese cinema, but even so, I've always been a lover of fighting. Whether it's busting a board or using Shinkuu Hadou Ken on Akuma, I've always loved martial arts.

Culture in general: Hai. Sometimes I try to do that old Japanese cleaning method where you run around the desired area with a wet cloth. My mom saw me once and was like,"What are you doing running around with that cloth? Can't you just use a mop?" Also, everytime I go to school I always think of how the Japanese have those two-door rooms with what? 42 students or so each? Inside each of them, not to mention the whole janitorial services after school, and their obsession with school & baseball being on the same plane, with baseball being a little above. Sigh, I've never been particularly good at baseball, but I can sure run!

J-pop: The only music I listen to(OK, there is some occasional KPOP). My brother's always listening to this "Pop Punk" or "Pop Rock" stuff and every time I hear it I get sick. It's always something like,"Baby I love you, come back" or "don't waste your time on me; I'll just bring you down." Now, since I'm a "Reformed/Revived Jap" if you will, I don't understand all the songs, but most of them, and although some song's lyrics disappointed me, most don't, even if they're all pretty similar. The Japanese really like to play with sounds, noises, and varieties. I used to like Linkin Park, cept all their lyrics, sounds, guitar, etc etc, all went sync.

Japanese people (friendship or more): Well, sadly there are few Japs in Georgia, but I've got a few penpals and I met one of my best friends(Daisuke) in Texas, but he moved. Of course, I'm great friends with the sushi chefs at "Miyabi Kyoto". Although when in Japan I didn't talk too much to know how the Japanese acted towards strangers(especially half-Japanese ones XD), but from the few Japanese I've met they seem very nice and generous. I guess it's because I've been in America, but I don't get it when a foreigner speaks their language they get all giddy like it's a grand accomplishment. Maybe because Japanese isn't as important to Americans as English is to Japanese, even though the majority of American things are manufacuted in Japan(cars, video games and arcades, cell phones, DVD Playes, Hamutaro )

Japanese language: Well, I love it because of the way it sounds, but the sentence structure always made me mad. I like the language, but I wish they'd invent words instead of just taking ours. I know they're foreign but even so. Nobu? Key? Dooru? Takshii? Come on!

Japanese food: Man, even the ignorant gaijins I have to put up with every day love Japanese food. Whether's it's un-authentic Steak & Grill style liver performance chicken or grand sushi, we all love it. The only thing I'll probably never eat: Candy Sno Peas XD

Traditional Japan (tea ceremony, geisha, kabuki, noh, ikebana, ...): Geishas are just female entertainers, so they still exist...

Anyways, I've never had a "tea ceremony", but I would often invite numerous friends to go to Starbucks. The Japanese traditions have always been cool. I mean, this country's traditions all involve killing. Killing of indians for land, killing of french for maintaining land, killing of english for freedom, then killing of southernors for slave liberation and understandings of the Declaration. Although I've never been to any Japanese ceremony or re-enactment, I've always seen them on the Fujisankei News(10 AM Eastern Time, international channel ;)

Religion (shinto, buddhism, zen...): Although I'm aethiest, buddhism and all the zen and chakra and aura has always enticed me. I personally believe in spirits, but they're all just personality that makes up you, not things that go to Heaven or Hell or Underworld or Mt. Olympus.

*My contribution. The Last Jap is done*

integra

Quote Originally Posted by Tragedy
    WHAT?!??!?! YOU DIDN'T MENTION CARS?!!?!?!!! How can you not mention cars?!!??!!??!?!

:::calming down::::

Don't get me wrong, I love other aspects of Japanese culture as much as the next guy, but cars have got to be one of the top Japanese favorites for me. I always have to go to all the carshops (Super Autobacs, Spoon Sports, UpGarage, etc) to see what's new, and cruise the parking lots to drool over the Nissan Skyline R34 GTR VSPEC-II's, the Subaru Impreza WRX STi's, the Honda Integra Type-R's, the Mazda RX-7's..etc etc. As clogged as the streets are in Tokyo and Yokohama, I have not grown jaded to cars. Cars (and music) are my life. I try to make it to all the major motorsport events in Japan.

This love for Japanese cars (we weren't too fond of American cars)dates back to my high school days (1993-1997) where my friends and I learned how to actually work on our engines (from books and our fathers) to increase horsepower and we'd wait for the weekends to take our projects to the underground drag-races held late at night in industrial areas and pit them against other racers. You can imagine how many times the Police had intervened with our little late-night gatherings of 100+ cars.

...and of course, I know you excluded Japanese Women from your poll because that interest in Japanese culture is a given......right?

Here are some examples of Japanese perfection in form, architecture and technology:

Nissan Skyline R34 GTR VSPEC-II

Honda Integra Type-R DC2

Subaru Impreza WRX STi Type-RA Spec-C (Actual WRC version in background)

To those of you not interested in cars: Sorry to have bored you.
    true true. in aus they dont sell the integra dc2!!! i never seen one in real life only in initial d! the only integra i saw was a dc3, dc5(rsx), and these really old one. (sti is wats it called i tink...not even a dc)
    ˚ァξpĦΞムΩүОа˚

Kendoka/Iaidoka SkippyDaStudent85's Avatar
    I almost had to check all of them!

Seriously, Japan has become my hobby since I was in 7th grade... wow

I had a bad experience with a Toyota Paseo 1993....
    the car was very good 170.000 but for parts I have a problem with
    electrical distribuitor and had to pay about 700 us dollars to change it..
    than there were some heavy scratches on the sun roof glass
    Toyota Italy asked me 800 dollars for a new one...I found in a car demolition
    company and paid ( I took froma broken Paseo) only 90 dollars.
    I was lucky to find the same car....
    Anyway I would not suggest anyone here to buy a Toyota...the car is very good
    but the parts price are not so good for the consumer
    Japanese cannot reach Ferrari Lamborghini and Maserati....level....

Quote Originally Posted by Martialartsnovice
    My interests in Japan are the Martial Arts, Language, Culture, Cuisine, and the friendships, Ive had with a Japanese girl through the Foreign Exchange program, She stayed at my scholl for half the year then transfered to California.
    Do You practice m.a.?
    I came in Las Vegas in 94 at Chuck Norris seminar..
    I like and enjoed a seminar of Iaido.
    Bushido katana Ki

Quote Originally Posted by ippolito
    I had a bad experience with a Toyota Paseo 1993....
    the car was very good 170.000 but for parts I have a problem with
    electrical distribuitor and had to pay about 700 us dollars to change it..
    than there were some heavy scratches on the sun roof glass
    Toyota Italy asked me 800 dollars for a new one...I found in a car demolition
    company and paid ( I took froma broken Paseo) only 90 dollars.
    I was lucky to find the same car....
    Anyway I would not suggest anyone here to buy a Toyota...the car is very good
    but the parts price are not so good for the consumer
    Japanese cannot reach Ferrari Lamborghini and Maserati....level....

Do You practice m.a.?
    I came in Las Vegas in 94 at Chuck Norris seminar..
    I like and enjoed a seminar of Iaido.
    Bushido katana Ki

i practice ma. i practice tokagure ryu ninjutsu, through an international bujinkan here in the eastern us, and american kbk kempo, i would recommend ninjutsu to anyone interested in ma. also juijutsu, grappling. although ninjutsu teaches alot of similar submission techniques.

my interests in japan encompass a large range of interests. first and formost, i have made studying japan a passion of mine for about 15 yrs now. i am an animation major, and would like to study animation at gakuin, chiyoda-ku, tokyo. second, to study togakure ninjutsu at the iga-ueno bujinkan directly under soke hatsumi. third, to play psy-trance. third, i like japanese girls.
    I JUST SHOT SMACK INTO BOTH MY EYEBALLS, WHOOOAAAHHH!!!!!, BLAAARGGGG.....

Ooh, i'm a green belt. Kamisama's Avatar
    My interests can be explained in one word... Boom.

My interest in Japan came about from first learning the language in 1995. I've been studying ever since and have been to Japan twice before. My biggest interests remain the language and the rich culture. After studying for 10 years, I just want to continue getting better and better so that I can get a job where I can use my knowledge in Japanese. I missed out on taking level 2 of the JLPT this year, but I definitely plan on doing it next year.

^^ lololoolo =) Bwahahaha Danielk's Avatar
    For me, its Anime!!
    i also like the food, especially ramen!
    Even better, i liek the sexy teens there

japan is the epitome of cool....

Technology

Personally for me...it is TECHNOLOGY. cell phone, computers, pda's, dvd's, gaming consoles...etc. I mean, where else can you control almost everything in your home by a cell phone. That's what I love about Japan. and anime. lol.

Japanese technology rocks. Cheer for japanese technology

i say fashion! i love how japanese dresses!!! i guess that goes under "Japanese People"?

I'm interested in Japan for:

Language
    Culture
    People
    food
    Gaming
    Manga and Anime
    J-pop
    Martial Arts

I hope to be able to work in Japan for a year or two once I graduate. I hope JET can accept science students :P

the language, la lingua, bahasa, ang wikang, 語言、ことば

アクス

I LOVE JAPAN!!!
    The land itself, the people, the music, the movies, the food, martial arts, technology, the cars, the motorcycles, language, the manga, and on and on ....

Except for one thing. Some of the current fashions. What is going on there? It looks eighties or thrift store. At least the pics I've come across representin' current fashion do. What's with the super pointy ladies shoes to? Is this really the new fad?

I'm lost in the language. I can't wait to get back to Japan. Only 18 more days and then...Japanese TV! I love the variety shows! One Night Lock 'n' Loll!

I mostly like the people and culture it just seems interesting to me...
    I like Ayumi Hamasaki for my favorite japanese singer and I started learning the language recently and I just would love to go to japan someday...
    Hajimemashite...

Hi my name is Emmanuel
    I'm new is this forum

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast