Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

View Poll Results: What are your interests for Japan ?

Voters
846. You may not vote on this poll
  • Manga & Anime

487 57.57%
  • Video games

335 39.60%
  • Martial Arts

269 31.80%
  • Culture in general

602 71.16%
  • J-pop

330 39.01%
  • Japanese people (friendship or more)

596 70.45%
  • Japanese language

613 72.46%
  • Japanese food

477 56.38%
  • Traditional Japan (tea ceremony, geisha, kabuki, noh, ikebana, ...)

403 47.64%
  • Religion (shinto, buddhism, zen...)

196 23.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your interests for Japan ?

iami5o4
    Same here.-.
    Well, the things that i have interest in is the Anime, Manga, Video Games, The cars, the music (manily J-Rock), and the Japanese language.

u hate sushi too? finally. someone who doesn't like sushi , i thought i was the only one. T_T

i like that moving animal-thing.
    ~KETTOBASE`~

iami5o4
    Oh thats G.I.R. He's actually a Robot in a Dog costume.

nice.

Just the place;
    --> Modern Society with Ancient Culture
    --> Has four seasons
    --> Impressed by the commitment of Japanese to learn English
    --> Has mountains, and lots of beaches

hkhm

:)

well, i must admit that my first dose of japanese culture was through anime and video games. we have a sole japanese restaurant in the town where i live and it's quite out of the way (you pretty much have to know that it's there to find it). but since i've started stydying japanese i've become very excited to travel there (i've just applied for my passport, japan will be my first foreign visit) and with each book about japanese culture i read, my list of "to see, to do" things gets longer and longer.

any suggestions on which city i should visit first?

When you go to Japan hkhm, you have to go into the country, ok!! It's so sad when some foreigners only see Tokyo, which is just a big city and crawling with gaijin, when there are so many beautiful places in the country!!

If you plan to live in Japan, try living in a country town - it's the best! If you let me, I would go on and on about the beauty of Kagoshima-ken ..........

hkhm

:)

onegaishimasu!

tell me everything you can. my husband and i have been looking into expatriating, so living there is an option we are seriously considering. and though i do plan to see tokyo, we were trying to decided which small towns we'd see.

on a side note, when we were watching kikujiro and they finally arrive at masao's mother's house, my husband immediately said: "i want to live there". he wants to live somewhere rural when (not if anymore, apparently) we live there.

I have been intrigued by Japan for quite a while guess the cultural differences appealed to me but only recently have I taken this interest to another level by reading much more about Japan and studying the Japanese language in my free time. I am now addicted to the language and have also visited the country for the first time in May and will return for another holiday in September which I am definately counting down the days for!
    Dreaming of Miya-Jima!

iami5o4
    If I went to Japan I would 1st want to go to Kyoto rather then Tokyo. It seems more peaceful and spiritual over there. My teacher that lived there for one year said so.

Re: :)

Originally posted by hkhm
    onegaishimasu! tell me everything you can. .
    Japan varies alot - eg, do you like heat or cold? Down here in the bottom of Kyushu is very hot, but Hokkaido stays pretty mild during summer and is really cold in winter (no winter really here in Kagoshima)
    I think perhaps you will have to travel to a few places you're interested in to be able to make a decision. Japan is full of beautiful places. Perhaps you might travel somewhere like Kyoto and find a small town outside of the city

hey you guys who said you hate Japanese food - next time you go, go with an open mind willing to give everything a try! I used to be not so fond of sashimi etc, but I wanted to at least try everything and my changed attitude now means I love Japanese food! Food is such an important aspect to understanding Japanese culture.

Man when i think for a monent i realize that I have always had an interest in Japan and Japanese things.

Really i'm very fascinated of that country. And i mean the people and everything else you can find there.

Acura NSX Man i love the look of this car
    .:: the world is full of inspirations. just look around ::.

My homepage

i checked each box except martial arts and j-pop.
    • Manga & Anime: i think i saw my first one with 14 or 15 (sheesh, already 8 to 9 years ago). it was "legend of the overfiend" and we watched it at a friend. but i dont know that many and just few good ones.
    • Video games: are great, though im more into pc's
    • Martial Arts: im not really into that, did judo for 3 to 4 years (like most people). now im more interested in kyudo in matters of sports.
    • Culture in general: a short time ago i presented work of mine about jomon culture, the prof was really pleased
    • J-pop: uhm, do i have to love it?
    • Japanese people (friendship or more): i have some friendships via email to japan but not as deep as i would like to.
    • Japanese language: part of my japanology studies
    • Japanese food: great one
    • Traditional Japan (tea ceremony, geisha, kabuki, noh, ikebana, ...): very interesting
    • Religion (shinto, buddhism, zen...): same too, in a summer seminar a japanese guest-prof tought us about ku, mu and extase and such things.

so much to learn, so few time.

Well, what lured me into Japan in the first place was Anime, Manga, and Video Games. I really like that area of Japan, in the past few years, it has become essentially part of its culture in a sense.

I also like Japanese people, they are very nice, kind, and helpful. Even saying "How are you" to them is wonderful, because they are so kind.

Culture is wonderful, as are ceremonies in general. The Language is one of the easiest to learn.

It wasn't listed, but history is also interesting.
    Hanada Tattsu

Rank - Hisha

Dai Nihon
    Great Japan

For me its the culture, video games, and I love watching japanese films, I prefer them to american/english films.

I picked the culture in general but anime and video games has its part as well..I kinda wanna go there and become a video game designer or animator..that would be nice

1. The language
    For me, it's quite embarassing. It all started with a flash game which turned out to have a slight touch of hentai over it (tha purpose was to seduce miss Fukoma High in less than 100 days i think). After playing a while I got really in to it, so when it was all over I kinda wondered who this character "Tomoko Saeki" was. Turned out she was from the Anime series DNA2, my friend had the first episodes so I watched them.
    I remeber seeing a hiragana "i" and at the same time seeing an "i" in the subtitles, and I kinda thought "well, maybe these wierd symbols actually are parts of a really complicated alphabet, I'll check it out on the internet later". The rest is history, I've been studying Japanese for a little while now, a language which obviously doesn't want to be learned by anyone, but is really interesting.
    Goal1: To one day be able to use verbconjuctions like
    nakereba narimasen, while maintaining a straight face.
    Goal 2. Convince the Japanese that it's okay to use spacebar, even when writing in japanese.

2. Games
    I'm the best thing that has happened to streetfighter since it was introduced to the supernintendo. No futher comments
    Goal 1: I hope that there is at least someone who can give me some competition in Japan
    Goal2. Master the shinkushoryuken level 3

3. The human beings of the opposite gender
    Well it isn't the reason why, but a collateral bonus. The japanese girls. I've always had a soft spot for asian chicks after my very first love, Mika, from Korea. Unfortunately we got separated when she entered first class, and I was still stuck in the kindergarten.
    Goal: None. After marrying about 5 milion girls I'm not sure, maybe I should ask my folks about that one.

And the last one is to get away from Sweden and the 9-5 livestyle which I can se before me.

Ps: I know that my english sucks, so you are free to beat me up if you feel like it.
    It's true! Or at least rumor has it

I kinda wanna go there and become a video game designer or animator..that would be nice
    me to, me to....

So you are working in the 3d industry ??? 3dMax, LW, Maya ???

I like games,especially yu-gi-oh!
    Kimi ga dai suki desu

Hello people, i'ts my first time in this forum, i hope to know much people, i'm from spain and i love japan. I supose that i will be the culture or the filosophy of life or the martial arts or manga, i don't know, but japan for me is the land of my dreams.

:P Sorry for my english i want to learn more

Originally posted by Atmos_Fear
    Man when i think for a monent i realize that I have always had an interest in Japan and Japanese things.

Really i'm very fascinated of that country. And i mean the people and everything else you can find there.

Acura NSX Man i love the look of this car

i've always been interested

Regular Member Punk ‚ĚŒR‚ĚƒƒbƒJ['s Avatar
    I really enjoy the pop music culture and fasion styles of today's Japanese Youth. Sometimes I find myself sitting on a stoop watching people go about their everyday lives. Watching people talk, the youth guys with their Scooter teams going up and down roads seeing who has the loudest muffler. I guess I like thier lifestyles a lot....oh, and the night life is the best at raves.
    ‚ĚŒR‚ĚƒƒbƒJ[

Originally posted by tasuki
    It'd take some time explaning the Japanese housing system here. But basically, when you rent a place, you have to pay:

Reservation fee (tetsukekin)
    The tetsukekin is paid when you apply for an apartment through a real estate agency, before the actual rental contract is signed. It's a guarantee to you that the apartment will not given to anybody else, and to the agent that you will not change your mind. It is refunded after you sign the lease contract and is usually equivalent to about one month's rent.

Deposit (shikikin)
    The deposit is used to cover eventual future damage to the apartment. The deposit minus the cost for repairs is refunded when you move out (in theory). The deposit is usually equivalent to several months' rent.

Key money (reikin)
    This is a non-refundable fee to the landlord in the amount of up to several months' rent.

Service fee (chukai tesuryo)
    This is a non-refundable fee to the real estate agent in the amount of one month's rent, tops.
    Don't forget this one,

Japanese Girl (Nihonjin Onnanoko)
    There is no deposit, no bill, no cover-charge, no rent, easily obtained through pen-pal/keypal (email penpalship,) and the only requirement is that you be a foreigner (or in my case a foreigner with boyish good looks.)

"Dear Penpal, I want to experience Japan and it's beautiful culture! I love Japanese food, will you cook for me sometime? I also want to experience a Japanese family way-of-life, here is my photo, would your family like to be my homestay? We could learn from each other and it'd be a really fun experience!

Your Penpal,

Josh"

"Dear Josh, My family really liked your photo and skateboardo bideo! Choooooooo kakkoiiiiiiii (^_~#) You will be here fall season? OK! Please call from airport and I will pick you up in my car. My mom is also excelentt cook and she wants to cook you meal everyday! My sister is at college so you can even sleep in her room!!!! tanoshimiinishitemasuuuuuu~~~ Here is my cellphone number please call me when you arrive! My family is vary excited!

Your Japanese Penpal,

(Japanese Penpal's name)"

, and in the matter of three to five letters, my photo and a video of me skateboarding I just saved myself a few thousand dollars, I have a place to throw all my luggage, shower and come home to in the late afternoon (after clubbing and love-hotelling.)

That's what I do for housing,

Josh

http://www.ghettocitiesclothing.com

Regular Member Punk ‚ĚŒR‚ĚƒƒbƒJ['s Avatar
    LOL...that's rude...but I like it.

to ghettocities

Why are you in Japan? Do your parents know what are you doing in Japan? Are you proud that you can gain slut women easily besides intelligent women who know what love is? Don't you know that you are giving your fellow men bad name? Don't you know why White men-Asian women couples are looked down on in Japan?@ And why are there so many people who react to his low IQ message positively just like the above guy who said "LOL...that's rude...but I like it. "
    Last edited by bz_jpn; Sep 19, 2003 at 13:57.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast