Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Japanese gov. to purify language

Sorry for my late answer.

Yes, we have "adjø," presumably from "adieu."
    Bokmål and nynorsk have the same status, but bokmål is preferred by more than 90% of the population. I've never used nynorsk in any real-life situations. We all have to learn both in school, which is largely a waste in my opinion. Bokmål is in a way "less Norwegian" because it's very influenced by Danish. Nynorsk was devised by Ivar Aasen in the 19th century. He literally travelled around the country for years, gathering information about dialects (he avoided large cities because that was where Danish influence was largest,) then he put together a new writing language, using words he had picked from various dialects. Learning to read nynorsk is one thing, but writing it...! Nynorsk was somewhat hard, because it's often easy to choose the wrong word (i.e. a bokmål word instead) because they're so similar.

Ooh, i'm a green belt. Kamisama's Avatar
       I've always disliked Japan having English/European words turn into a Japanese style using katakana ever since I started learning Japanese . I actually like the idea of having pure Nihongo.
      I understand that businessmen who are lazy like to use kohii for coffee and sutoraberi gumii for strawberry gummy candy, but I find a lot of the time this somehow makes the language integrated with other countries. Perhaps to some that doesn't seem like a bad idea since world peace means every unites in a total understanding of each other, but sometimes i dislike it being that way.
       Mainly I dislike it because i like learning the original japanese word and having a kanji to associate with it. This enhances language learning for a serious person. Then again, having words that unite businesses together seem to be needed since Nihon is a business economy with many exports. In America we look at this problem the government having as the same as my parents trying to understand slang for the first time. They may not get it at first because the vocabulary isn't comprehensible and is made up totally on it's own. But government cheese means money handed out from the government and now i know that. Plus i understand what bling bling is. Even I had to teach myself before I understand it.
       This issue is going to be a long and perhaps confusing one for Nihon since this is a technology and communication age we are living. Good luck for them in finding an answer.
    Last edited by Kamisama; Nov 3, 2004 at 12:54.

Nice work, reviving a two year old thread.

You mean you didn't find his argument that the Japanese use loanwords like "koohii" because they're "lazy", and that they should replace these with "pure Nihongo" (with kanji, for that added kewlness factor) to "enhance" the learning experience of "serious" students like himself just so incredibly compelling that it was worth it?

I barely even glanced at what he wrote. I do that a lot with people who don't know how to start new paragraphs.

Wanna go get a cup of 珈琲?

Ooh, i'm a green belt. Kamisama's Avatar
    はは どおいたしまして マイクーチャン

which makes for a good lol question lmfao... that sure was a funny thing u said in reply to me...

what did happen two years later?

珈琲をのみません demo wa watashi no tokoro de nomimasen ka?

sadly this is very true ........

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12