Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

View Poll Results: What is your motivation to learn Japanese ?

Voters
746. You may not vote on this poll
  • I want to communicate with my Japanese relatives

57 7.64%
  • I want to talk to my Japanese friends or make some new ones

290 38.87%
  • I live in Japan (so for daily life use...)

62 8.31%
  • My boyfriend/girlfriend is Japanese or want to make one.

136 18.23%
  • I (will) need it for my job

152 20.38%
  • To read the manga or understand the anime

289 38.74%
  • For the video games

171 22.92%
  • To travel in Japan

384 51.47%
  • I am interested in Japanese culture/language, etc.

557 74.66%
  • For no particular reason or others (please specify in forum)

88 11.80%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are you learning Japanese ?

western people use words their meaning they do not even know. i have done this too, i must admit. i do not understand the meaning of texts and people do not understand what i say.

it has something to do with relationships which are: a) not common in japan b) thaught in our schools

in japanese i can write everything small legally. and there is no gender (unecessarily) attached to words.

i have learned english for the reason programming references are in english as well as program sources. now it's all outsourced and i am going to learn japanese to get a job!

people, before you use any of these fancy words like muron, or giek: please look them up, so you know what you are communicating then. for example a woman betting big sums on horses, having a luxerious house and performing tarot sessions to figure out which horse to bet: that's ghey, what this word originally means.

in japanese, one would rather say the woman lives in a luxerious house.

well i would like to avoid inpoliteness, so called bad language.

alexriversan what are you talking about? Or more to the point, what language are you speaking? It's one thing to talk about using words the meaning of which one is unaware, but it's another thing to talk about words that do not exist. Neology is a fine thing, but only if the context gives some hint to what one is talking about...

Perhaps you should take some of your own advice and look up the words you yourself are using. A grammar book might come in handy also. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are not a native English speaker....

words which do not exist?
    just try "geek" "nerd" and "moro" into http://dictionary.reference.com
    its usage as fancy word is ill-fashioned.

same with gender selection and/or declerations of belong- to a special population group.

these things are seen different.

japanese grammar is very simply, i am sorry to say goodbye to english.
    i know i master it so good that people can not understand what i am saying.

the word ghey is a substitute for another word. i try to explain its meaning:

a woman in a luxerious house, betting large sums on horses, having tarot card seances to figure out which horse. additionally the guests are smoking big cigars and drinking expensive wine. it does not necessarily include inproper clothing! (so a person with bad clothing does not mean "ghey")

now all the money is spend, and one can say (posthum):

a) her gheyness ended- the house is sold right now.
    b) her gheyness has ended- the house has been sold.

now, i am prolly (probably) not the right one for teaching english, making up a children's book with fancy illustrations of burger king, reagan's SDI, geek's, nerd's and institutions for moro's. chapter 1.

chapter 2: illustrations of rats, spiders, mice, bugs and different types of cobweb. explanation how candy is manufactured and why manufacturing candy made from sugar is un-responsible.

chapter 3: halloween installations: coffins, grim reapers, graveyard. how to write a computer program, and how to ship around being outsourced.

Quote Originally Posted by index
    I'll give you the benefit of the doubt
    and assume you are not a native English speaker.
    a sentence not common in spoken english, not lacking some sort of east european politeness.

i use one of the best dictionaries, 600k words: http://dictionary.reference.com

now, western people LIVE on wrong assumptions. to mention them can hurt one's religious feelings and i do not want to do this.

all i can say right now: the relationship of godfather/holy mother is not common in japan. i have read it in a dictionary.

Quote Originally Posted by alexriversan
    muron, or giek
    I haven't hear of these words before...neither has dictionary.com

ghey
    I'm sorry I couldn't find this one either

moro
    or this one (although I worked in Higashi Moro, Saitama for a while).

Sorry alexriversan, I don't mean to be rude, but I really don't understand much of what you wrote.

"geek" "nerd" you get definitions with include the moro- word.

the point is the usage of these words in daily language- just GEEK

most people do not know what a GEEK is- is it GREEK without R or the old german GECK? (not everybody understands german)

then it gets a computer geek, and people are spirited about to be computer geek. even if they understand it: it is deformed language.

and would not you guess what ghey is: an insulting word for bright, colorful person, also used for persons which are not bright at all.

bright person can have the meaning of sharp mind.
    bright AND colorful will be understood by english speaking persons.
    however it must not have a bad meaning, as a design is allowed to be bright and colorful, like adidas perfume packages: they are designed to be attractive for consumers.

moro is "open sightly" not connected to a sentence with geographic meaning.
    it could also mean mono- r gets n
    it is an oldfashioned word not longer used- and filtered out here.

see monty phyton for word order: they are from u.k.- if you like parody.

mis-utilizing the adidas deodorant allows the word "hot" to come in play- and it can cause instant death, now there are warning signs on the cans. only to give a definition for the word "hot".
    Attached Images Attached Images

I haven't hear of these words before...neither has dictionary.com
    ya cool i see many words (in japanese) and they are not in my dictionary- what's the point in telling people "i do not understand..."?

it seems to be you are interested in emitting communication to me, and we can perform this otherwise, i am a firendly person, not staring at my moniter and i am not that supid.

please keep communication japan related- i do not plan to hold english classes. (wavey)

and why i learn japanese:

japanese person would try to figure out years instead of bugging people "i do not understand...".

relationship of godfather/holy mother is not common.

grammar is easy, not including emissions about unpredictable future.

people are polite, do not have beds as fulltime inventory/occupation.

people are much less prejudiced: because they take more care what others may think of them.

AND i can abolish small/big letters

Quote Originally Posted by alexriversan

people, before you use any of these fancy words like muron, or giek: please look them up, so you know what you are communicating then.
    You advised looking up words that one does not understand in order to be able to communicate.

ya cool i see many words (in japanese) and they are not in my dictionary- what's the point in telling people "i do not understand..."?
    The point of saying "I do not understand" is to inform you of this fact. If you want to communicate then use words in the given language you are using.

i use one of the best dictionaries, 600k words: http://dictionary.reference.com
    Well the words you yourself use are not in the dictionary you yourself use.

please keep communication japan related- i do not plan to hold english classes
    I'm not asking for an English lesson. I'm trying to understand what you are saying, because even though you might be using English words, it's questionable whether you are using English.

In any case one might consider it peculiar that you ask people to use a dictionary while you don't.

and why you are learning japanese
    "geek" refers to the other two words, polite regards.

The point of saying "I do not understand" is to inform you of this fact.
    you are emitting communication.

i am just practicing communication, command "take it serious" not available.
    because even though you might be using English words, it's questionable whether you are using English.
    emission: thank you.
    information: we are not affiliates.
    decleration: the lessons will not be held in general
    explanation: for the reason my english lacks seriousity

Right, well I'm glad we had this little chat. You have a unique way of writing. Perhaps we should get back to the thread then.
    Last edited by Index; Mar 21, 2005 at 23:05.

i want to learn japanese so i can understand when i listen to dir en grey. and so i can go see them in concert in japan, and be able to ask for an autograph in japanese. (and just because the japanese language and culture are the cool.) XD

i'm trying my hardest to adapt. this is my new home for the next few years and i'd like to communicate with the locals and it helps so it doesn't take me 10 minutes of drawing pictures and hand gestures to order some curry.

Honestly, initial reason why I am studying Japanese is for love of anime and manga. However, as time went on I realized and remembered curious I am of the culture ever since I was a kid. As a kid, I am awed to see any picture of Sakuras, when I started watching anime, I was fascinated with the Japanese imagination, when I see travel guides or television travel shows featuring Japan, I am inspired by their culture. There is just something about the Japanese that grasps my attention and I have a longing to see the Japan one day. When I tell this to other people, they commented that maybe I had been Japanese in my previous life.... that thought mystifies me.

My interest in japanese language started actually with household products. There are quite a number of made in japan goods, not just household products. I was really curious to find out how to read the japanese descriptions on those goods. But somehow I didnt take up any lessons then or study on my own.

Then I was introduced to anime, manga and japanese games. Well needless to say, I was charmed and before I knew it, I was attending regular japanese lessons.

Nihongo o wakaratai kara nihon no eiga to terebi geemu ga suki. Kitano Takeshi-san to Kaneshiro Takeshi-san ga suki.

Apologies if my Japanese is bad, but I will accept pointers!

Tsuyoiko - don't sweat it - Mine is worse. I can swear and get myself drunk and that's about it!

I study japanese because it's pure ego to only learn one way to communicate. To think your language or culture is the only one of value is wrong. All people have something to contibute to one's life. I choose Japanese because of my early introduction to the martial arts of Japan and the fact that (for me) it's a very difficult language and i like challenges.
    Breathe. Unclench. Think.

romantic bisounen fool.. geist_seig's Avatar
    whats wrong with being mutilingul?

there is evil around every corner becareful not to step in any..

i need to understand and learn about japaness culture and language it's just because the girls.. i really like them alot... IoI

Economist in Residence lonesoullost3's Avatar
    I've wanted to learn Japanese for years! I was going to take it in high school, but then I moved and it wasn't offered at my new high school . I love learning languages - there are so many I want to become fluent in (arabic, mandarin, cantonese, german, french, malay, korean etc.). The more languages you know, the more people you can meet!

I also really want to live in Japan when I graduate, so to live there (and get a job) I'll have to become pretty fluent - which is perfectly fine with me ^_^. I also have quite a few Japanese friends. They've been kind enough to speak/write english with me, so I feel I should do the same for them and speak/write Japanese ^_^. Oh, and Japanese is just plain cool to learn ^_^.
    http://www.operationdeep.org
    Create Possibilities.

im hoping to take some classes at my school since i think its one of the requirements...the only language that seems to interest me..and seems like all my friends at the moment..so i will be able to understand them..and maybe be able to understand a few of the japanese manga i have

Manga ...
    MANGA ...

M A N G A !!!!

Oh, yeah! There's anime, too.

And the more I learn, the more I get to post stuff in the JREF forums and use those cute little smilies.

(although I don't always understand the little hiraganas that sometimes sprout over their heads.)

Yuyurungul
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsuyoiko
    Nihongo o wakaratai kara nihon no eiga to terebi geemu ga suki. Kitano Takeshi-san to Kaneshiro Takeshi-san ga suki.

Apologies if my Japanese is bad, but I will accept pointers!

Hm, I think the reason/explanation goes before ‚©‚ç, and then what you're going to say (remember: particles go after what they modify).

I originally wanted to learn how to read Japanese video games, too, and also manga. Now, I guess that, having taken a couple courses, I just like the language. Besides, it's kind of nice bragging to be multi-lingual.

i learn japanese as I want to travel there and I'm dreaming of a japanese girlfriend

万歳!!!

To escape reality...

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast