Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

View Poll Results: What is your motivation to learn Japanese ?

Voters
746. You may not vote on this poll
  • I want to communicate with my Japanese relatives

57 7.64%
  • I want to talk to my Japanese friends or make some new ones

290 38.87%
  • I live in Japan (so for daily life use...)

62 8.31%
  • My boyfriend/girlfriend is Japanese or want to make one.

136 18.23%
  • I (will) need it for my job

152 20.38%
  • To read the manga or understand the anime

289 38.74%
  • For the video games

171 22.92%
  • To travel in Japan

384 51.47%
  • I am interested in Japanese culture/language, etc.

557 74.66%
  • For no particular reason or others (please specify in forum)

88 11.80%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Why are you learning Japanese ?

DieHard Pon Fangirl x3 Hiroto=Love's Avatar
    I'm learning Japanese because i'm really intressed in the country, and I love Jrock so , i want to understand what they say in their songs.
    I love studying languages, so i thought, Maybe will Japanese be important to me, because i want to travel a lot and become a interpreter

Gotta Love sungmin ^^;

I found interest in Japanese when I wanted to understand what was going on in a Doujinshi I found.

Later on, because I was incomprehensible back then to understand the language, I recently got inspired by Inuyasha on Adult Swim long ago about 4-5 years back and looked for subtitled episodes online and found out about the Japanese language.

From there, I studied Japanese but still had issues with my comprehension.
    Years later, now, I am actually understanding Japanese more than I ever did and finally I can know what I am reading

In some Manga's I read, I can understand around 7% of it without having to look at a Hiragana and Katakana list XD

I am extensively learning it too

However, I plan to create video games, visit Japan and make Japanese friends, not only that but write Japanese in my art (I am an artist) and be a translator to make a huge sum of money XD

I have A's in all my English classes, and Japanese is going to be my second language, then I plan to learn other languages too, the most sought out ones, really :P

Other than that, Japanese was started with me because I wanted to know what was going on in a Doujinshi XD

i want so much to learn japanese....but is so hard...is a difficult language...of writeing ..ooo my god..but is beautiful and i hope some day i will say a sentence correctly

I want to learn japanese also..one reason is I own a few books and 1 game in Japanese and want to learn to know what they say instead of having to look at the pics.

I can speak a few words in japanese though

My result of the quiz blogthings

You're cutting edge, and you are ready to delve into wacky Japanese culture.
    From Engrish to eating contests, you're born to be a crazy gaijin. Saiko!

Because my japanese teacher very kindly, her lesson is very interesting. lol
    and i'm interested in this country. ^^

Well there are allot of details as to my reasoning so i will try to give a quick explanation. I became interested in Japanese culture and food a few years ago but didn't think about the language because there are no Japanese people where i live and i don't have a social life to speak of, but then last year i realized that understanding the language would make it much easier to learn more about the country and to find foods i look for etc. I have been studying the language on my own through various sources for about 7 months and i understand Hiragana and Katakana very well and can read some things written with them, i am just starting to concentrate on Kanji and am getting a good idea of how Kanji work though i can't easily understand meanings yet, i am trying to get used to the spoken word through Japanese music and Japanese tv, but not having anyone to actually converse with makes it difficult to clarify exactly what is being said unless i can replay it a few times (witch i can do with the music but not the tv ).
    Well i tried to make this explanation short but that didn't work.

My reasoning:
    My wife is from Okinawa, and I only get to travel there for about 3 weeks every two years. Everytime I go, her friends and family are so great, and really don't seem to mind that I cannot communicate with them further than a smile and nod. Her mother even learned English by listening to NHK radio for two years to be able to talk to me.
    I think I really owe it to them to speak in their language in their own country ‚©‚ñ‚Ï‚¢ is great (and definitely my most used word), but there is more to learn!

Yay Japan!
    Typically, like many other people, I wish to learn Japanese so I can better my understanding of anime. Reading other people's translations is fine and all, but what if I could hear and comprehend the true meaning of the words? I want to know both sides of the story.

‚Ú‚­‚Ì‚©‚Ì‚¶‚å‚Í‚É‚Ù‚ñ‚¶‚ñ‚Å‚·‚©‚ç~
    cuz my girlfriend is japanese

I started off learning Japanese...but I ended up taking a detour...now it's no longer Japanese, but I am learning Korean xD. My friend is the one learning Japanese, so we kinda go back to back she'll speak to me in Japanese and I'll respond to her in Korean. Either way it goes I'm still learning Japanese. Which is a good thing. lmao. We teach each other!

interested in video games, culture, and economic possibilities. There is so much business opportunity in Japan.; it's ridiculous.
    women and anime are not even on my mind. Women = evil. For a job, nah. To practice at a job yes. But i would rather learn Japanese for my own benefit. I am not going to spend all this effort all for someone else. I don't think so.
    Last edited by w1ngzer0; Sep 9, 2007 at 04:46.

Well i kinda like anime, but the main reason is even more simple, Japanese culture is something new, something different for me, its not like im emo or something, but to tell the truth after 17 years im quite bored with Europe, so its time to broaden my horizons, after visiting Armenia i kinda realized that its not meant for me. And im quite sure i can find a job in Japan once i get my degree. Probably hehe
    Last edited by Derfel; Sep 10, 2007 at 04:33.

when I was about 11 years i started to watch anime in japanese... and i liked language though..
    and a few years ago i was really depressed and I wanted a language nobody can understand so I could hide behind it... A very strange reason I know, but that was the way i thought about it, so i began to study japanese.
    But now it's just because I almost like everything that's related to japan...

My dream is to live in Japan as English teacher. (and for hobby I'd like to draw so if I can combine it I'll also want to be a Mangaka.)
    And I love almost everything from Japan.

I love Asian culture especially Japanese. I though it would be easier to learn than Chinese! lol

I love Japanese culture. I hope to someday be able to at least travel to Japan, and living there would be a dream come true. I love anime and Japanese movies and music, art and everything. I love Japan!

Banned
    Im learning it because i need it to write and speak better! im japanese and even i make many mistakes

Well,Im studying japanese becuase,I want to maybe move there some day.And I just like the language in general.My goal is to be fluent in 3 different languanges by time Im 40.

A Bit Shy, Really ;p Kaigaishii-san's Avatar
    I have many reasons to learn Japanese. My main reason is to understand manga and anime rather than blindly reading subs or scanlations. It would be better if I can understand Japanese myself.

Another one is I'm quite interested with Japan and Japanese culture. I might go to Japan someday to continue my education. If not, maybe go on a vacation maybe. :P

Another one is I might impress(or annoy) my peers by suddenly talking Japanese to them. lol

Once in a blue moon user papercut's Avatar
    I want to learn to speak Japanese rather than to read or to write it. Because I think it would take me forever to memorize Japanese characters.

I always admire people that can speak other languages aside from their mother tongue (and what more if they can write foreign characters).

Candy Addict o(>w<)o Baka Gurl YuKii =3's Avatar
    I am interested in Japanese culture/language, etc. ]]

^^v ..

Quote Originally Posted by papercut View Post
    I want to learn to speak Japanese rather than to read or to write it. Because I think it would take me forever to memorize Japanese characters.
    Japanese is one of those few languages where it's much easier to write it than read it; if you don't know a kanji, you can just write it in kana.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaigaishii-san View Post
    I have many reasons to learn Japanese. My main reason is to understand manga and anime rather than blindly reading subs or scanlations. It would be better if I can understand Japanese myself.
    Another one is I'm quite interested with Japan and Japanese culture. I might go to Japan someday to continue my education. If not, maybe go on a vacation maybe. :P
    Another one is I might impress(or annoy) my peers by suddenly talking Japanese to them. lol
    That's so similar to me it's ridiculous.

Many people may feel a sort of shame when they say they're learning the language for anime or manga. It's certainly nothing to be ashamed of; anime and manga are as much a part of Japanese culture as anything else.

Another good reason to learn Japanese is that it looks awesome on a resume, whether you will use it in your job or not. Not everybody chose to study a language after high school, let alone a language like Japanese.

TNT Basketball Analyst Charles Barkley's Avatar
    Much easier to write than read? Japanese? Japanese? Are you kidding? Of course if you define read as 'read kanji' and write as 'write hiragana' you'll come up with that backwards answer, but it doesn't make any sense to define the two in different ways. Writing just hiragana is not 'writing japanese' in the same way that reading just hiragana is not 'reading japanese.'

Many Japanese themselves often forget how to write many kanji that they read often in daily life. Almost everyone who studies japanese can read far more than they can write...

Once in a blue moon user papercut's Avatar
    Originally Posted by EvilCowSlayer
    Japanese is one of those few languages where it's much easier to write it than read it; if you don't know a kanji, you can just write it in kana.
    Sorry, but I beg to disagree!

Originally Posted by Charles Barkley
    Much easier to write than read? Japanese? Japanese? Are you kidding? Of course if you define read as 'read kanji' and write as 'write hiragana' you'll come up with that backwards answer, but it doesn't make any sense to define the two in different ways. Writing just hiragana is not 'writing japanese' in the same way that reading just hiragana is not 'reading japanese.'

Many Japanese themselves often forget how to write many kanji that they read often in daily life. Almost everyone who studies japanese can read far more than they can write...
    Yes, I strongly agree.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast