Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

View Poll Results: What is your motivation to learn Japanese ?

Voters
746. You may not vote on this poll
  • I want to communicate with my Japanese relatives

57 7.64%
  • I want to talk to my Japanese friends or make some new ones

290 38.87%
  • I live in Japan (so for daily life use...)

62 8.31%
  • My boyfriend/girlfriend is Japanese or want to make one.

136 18.23%
  • I (will) need it for my job

152 20.38%
  • To read the manga or understand the anime

289 38.74%
  • For the video games

171 22.92%
  • To travel in Japan

384 51.47%
  • I am interested in Japanese culture/language, etc.

557 74.66%
  • For no particular reason or others (please specify in forum)

88 11.80%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are you learning Japanese ?

I'm a long time fan of everything remotely Japanese. I think James Calvell's Shogun was the entry drug. I never had a good reason to learn Japanese, but to be less dependent on subtitles, when watching Japanese movies, I recently started to teach myself Japanese, and now I'm addicted

Banned
    chichi don like japan at all, but i just love japan....donno why, for no reason....

Why i started learning japanese

I originally was going to learn chinese mandarin. Then one day i was watching an episode of ergo proxy and i thought, "hey japanese sounds cool, and i already watch anime, so why not do something construtive while watching it." That was pretty much the general thoughtline there. I do plan to still learn mandarin eventually, and maybe a few other languages. There's really just too much stuff I want to learn in this world. I'm also interested in different cultures in general and i've always wanted to learn about Eastern cultures (wasnt really taught it in school). I'm currently reading a short book on Japanese culture and history (Japan Its history and culture, W. Scott Morton, fascinating stuff). I just finished Sun Tzu's art of war (a special edition with a history and commentary, after the original work), and I highly reccommend it to anybody.
    P.s. If anybody wants resources or wants to know where to get resources I have tons on the Japanese language.... 7 gigs to be exact. Just pm me about it.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by kazika View Post
    I want to learn a new language to improve myself. So, i choose japanese language as i grow up reading comic from japan since young. I love dragonball. It is still my favourite till now.

I believe i had to put in alot of effort to learn it since i had a hard time reading japanese words.
    I basically grew up watching Dragonball, that may have an influence on me as well

I watch alot of anime, and am very interested in the culture and language of Japan. I also want to move there, so it would be very practical for me to learn it. I also have become addicted to Japanese music, bands such as Dir en Grey, Miyavi, Gazette, An Cafe, etc. I just really love Japan and everything in it.
    Last edited by Xyliacai; Nov 10, 2006 at 11:01. Reason: Misspelled a word...

Konichiwa.
    I am no more learning Japanese..I will resume it later though
    Sayonara

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by jchadwick View Post
    Why not learn Japanese? Aside from it being one of the largest group of consumers in the world it only opens your opportunities.
    As with any language it is best to imerse yourself in it. Study from text books, make friends who speak the language, watch movies with English subtitles to listen to the sounds. You can't be afraid or shy about speaking or you will not learn. Babies do not have phenominal powers, they listen, make mistakes and dont get angry at criticism. The older you get the more you forget how to learn.
    As an "older" learner of Japanese, I appreciate your words. It is so true, that as we get older, we often become more concerned with doing things "just right", forgetting that, just as you said, we actually learn even by making mistakes. Thanks for your comments!

the day you slipped away; Sarah Jane's Avatar
    I want to learn because I think that it's a beautiful language.
    It flows together nicely and for the mosts part, I can figure out how to pronounce things on my own.

I love Japan.
    I want to go there one day... and I'd like to know as much Japanese as I can before I go.

The best way to learn Japanese is immersion. Books and videos are fine but to really understand how to live and breath the language, go to some small town where there are no foreigners and do a home stay. You will be a talking Japanese in no time

Banned
    I just learn it cause i want to exercise my mind. No other reason, i'm not going to japan

I like languages in general. I've been learning German for four years now, and I've always wanted to start learning Japanese.. Hopefully when I'm good enough to converse I'll live in Japan or sth.. always been my dream =)

I started learning Japanese because I imported a Japanese sports car which they didn't officiall sell in my country. The literature and magazines I started to buy about it were naturally in Japanese. What got my attention was the writing styles, specifically katakana, which I thought looked very cool. Since then I discovered aspects of Japan that had already touched my life, like many years of Karate and discovered what a cool country is and all the things it has going for it.
    When I started to make a serious effort of learning the language I decided to make Japanese penpals, some of which I met for karaoke etc. Through this little social group which formed I ended up meeting my wife who is Japanese. I have travelled to Japan quite often including some short-medium stints over there. I'll be going there to work for a couple of years from July/August 07. All this pretty much leaves me with literally dozens of practical reasons to keep practicing the language.

For Family~

Many of my family members, mostly cousins, are from Japan. Their kids are the same age as me [egh, huge age gap]-- it's always so awkward when they visit because the only language we can ...somewhat...communicate in is Chinese-- but they don't know it very well since one of their parents is Japanese. Oh, and also so I can beat my uncle-- my grandma is always so braggy about him learning Japanese [for the second time, psh ]. So, self-study for now [I doubt I'll ever have real lessons ...maybe in college] and maybe I'll be able to travel to Japan or talk with my uncle because he's just a Japan freak too.

Art Blog!

Ahs, for JRock bands + lyrics, of course. <3~ It all started there.

I think it's easier for me to read Kanji, because my mother taught me some Chinese [me being Taiwanese, and all. XD]. I just pick out the bits I know and start from there. I seem to like Katakana and Romaji a lot, but I attempt Hiragana too~
    [insert something here]

I started to learn the basics of japanese like a month ago. Currently I can only learn during weekends so im not making much progression, but I try to watch jdramas every day to get more and more familiar with the speaking..

Im learning it because I will go to Japan this summer. Eventually I would like to study japanese for a year in japan, but thats not for soon. My goal is to work as a product designer in japan. Anyway its maybe stupid to make such statements without ever visiting Japan, but im pretty shure I wont be dissapointed in the country..

Hmm... I started learning japanese a few months ago, because... i just got interested in it. It's especially because of the "Naruto" anime which I've been lately watching.

I had learned it before. But, I didn't continue studying it for a long time. After, I got addicted with J-Anime. I think I'll start it again^ ^

Basically I'm learning Japanese for another reason entirely. I want to understand a lot of the J-Pop songs I've been hearing entirely. Many I find at the beginning of animes or in movies. However, animes and movies don't give full translations to the entire song.

well i got more interested wen watching anime, but mostly because i wanna at least have a holiday in japan or live there for a year or so and that mostly because of my automotive scene/motor sport interest/and for da certain roads dat japan delivers

my fiance is japanese and from Tokyo and its always been one of my dreams. If all go wells as soon as i graduate college I will be moving to Tokyo to teach English

cool
    gud luck with it :P

Hi, I am new here, I hope we will have a nice time and can start to learn Japanese language .
    why i want to learn japanese ?
    because I watched a lot of random japanese stuff anime , movies etc..and i want to understand it.
    and i hop to meet some japanese friends ^^'
    forgive my English i come from morocco and i have 28 old years.

Because I am interested in learning more about the Japanese culture, and I am impressed by their courtesy.

I'm learning it mainly because I have watched Azumanga Daioh to death and I would like to be able to understand a certain amount of it without subtitles, also I would really like to able to move to Japan one day......
    Current Hiragana learnt: 20 damn memory
    Current Katakana learnt: 0
    Current Kanji learnt:0
    "Tsukurimashou, tsukurimashou, sate sate nani ga dekirukana? Hai, dekimashita"

I know one Japanese word 'hai'. Hai means 'yes'. Right?

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast