Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

View Poll Results: What is your motivation to learn Japanese ?

Voters
746. You may not vote on this poll
  • I want to communicate with my Japanese relatives

57 7.64%
  • I want to talk to my Japanese friends or make some new ones

290 38.87%
  • I live in Japan (so for daily life use...)

62 8.31%
  • My boyfriend/girlfriend is Japanese or want to make one.

136 18.23%
  • I (will) need it for my job

152 20.38%
  • To read the manga or understand the anime

289 38.74%
  • For the video games

171 22.92%
  • To travel in Japan

384 51.47%
  • I am interested in Japanese culture/language, etc.

557 74.66%
  • For no particular reason or others (please specify in forum)

88 11.80%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are you learning Japanese ?

The Japanese Language is one of the best sounding languages in the world. As a English speaker I am tired of English I find the language not to fun. I have wanted to learn Gaelic but Not that many people speak it and it would not benifit me to learn it. Gaelic is my favorit Wester language. But I have always been a Asian fan. Japanese is my favorit language and It can help me out in life be cause there is a use for it Movies, Manga, order food, Talk to people, And to have a chance to live in Japan for a while and mabey for good if I like it their.

i am learning japanese because i want to move there in the near future, i think its only complimentary to learn the native language

Comfortably Ignorant Faustianideals's Avatar
    I think learning the language would be helpful.

I orginally wanted to learn Japanese for the video games, the manga, and the anime. (Mostly for the video games) Now I'm interested in the culture, I would like to make some Japanese friends, I might like to live there one day, and I don't much like the English language. I have spoken English all my life, yet I think that English is wierd. Does that make me wierd? hmmm... something to think about...
    MS-DOS is sweet... Add Japanese language support and it totally rocks!!

I'm not quite sure why or when I got so interested in the japanese language.
    I have a really hard time learning anything at all, but I will someday master it

well.. "master it" was a little too powerful word.
    But optimism never hurt anyone..
    right?...
    If In Doubt...
    Run And Hide...

gakuin-design college

i speak conversation japanese, but i need to be fluent in order to attend an animation college in chioda-ku, shinjuku, tokyo. it is a specialized animation college and you should be able to speak "decent" japanese.

Japanese language is a beautiful language. I like the sound especially. On the top of that, I practise Aikido, it helps me to understand the art better, especially the names of those techniqes. Some of my senseis are Japanese, though they can speak English, they are not fluent at it, and it seems that certain things can't be translated into English without losing its original meaning. I like to watch manga and anime too, there are also loads of Japanese resourses on the internet. If I am not wrong, Japanese-language website is ranked third, after English and Chinese. So, there are too many incentives to learn this wonderful language.

Well, I've always been interested in Japanese culture...

...ironically it is both the tiniest percentage of my heredity and the only part I'm really interested in.

I've also had an interest in studying the way people communicate, I find that you can learn alot about a person or even an entire civilization by the way they communicate things--so for me learning Nihongo is a good way to gain a deeper understanding of Japanese culture.
    Baka ningen.

Hi, I want to learn Japanese (I'm in classes) because I want to study in Japan in a future, and want to marry a japanese woman, I'm also interested in Japanese culture, I bsolutely love their way of living and of course Japan itself, it's sooo cool!!! and g course I want to make japanese friends ;)....

Chaos!

i am going and learning the kanji cards very slowly i just started a minute ago and i know 1-5 so far.

Assassin at Dawn RiseLikeARevolution's Avatar
    In the last few months Japan and things to do with Japan have been popping up all over the place.Well about 3 or 4 months ago, I decided to start searching for many Japanese things to see what the fuss was about. I instantly found what I saught in different things like the rising Mangas, the J-Music, and well, fell in love. Of course, many people have been into all this for years, but you have to start some where right? Anyway of course the language caught my attention...so I am hopefully going to find a way to learn it! The school doesnt teach it because I guess not many would take it so I will have to look for some place, but no matter how long it takes I will learn it and I will go to Japan and if I can find a decent job, I will stay there forever!!!!

Okay sorry getting a bit over enthusiastic but when speaking of anything Japanese...I get that way.

news flash i know now 39 my japanese studdys r going great

I'll tell the truth . . . i want to learn for the girls . . . they so cute the japanese girls . . .

Nihongo wo benkyoo shitemasu.....

watashi no namae wa james des......

watashi wa igirisu kara kimashita.........

i don't know much, but i must have patience

Hey I'm new here. I'm an East Asian Studies major and currently have been studying Japanese for little over a year. At first I studied Chinese and only later decided to pick up Japanese as well, thinking I could pick the language easily with my background in Chinese. Boy was I wrong. However I have enjoyed studying Japanese and hope to become at least adequate in the language. I also hope to visit Japan after I graduate college.

Quote Originally Posted by seto
    Hey I'm new here. I'm an East Asian Studies major and currently have been studying Japanese for little over a year. At first I studied Chinese and only later decided to pick up Japanese as well, thinking I could pick the language easily with my background in Chinese. Boy was I wrong. However I have enjoyed studying Japanese and hope to become at least adequate in the language. I also hope to visit Japan after I graduate college.
    Nice to see you here!
    I study japanese cause i'm interested in j-culture and i plan to live in Japan with my b-f. I also would like to work there as an engineer.

I live inside all beings, i am the force and the greatness that comes with free will.
    I plan to create a new civil order in Japan, and to protect america from further invasion.
    MUuahahahhah.

\x/3 0\x/^ ;00
    Are you Sarah Connor?

Hello~~Everbody!!!
    I like Japanese things, it's different. I like manga and Japanese music, that's why I learn Japanese. I'm thinking about doing postgraduate course in Japan, that would be fun~~well that's in the future~~haha~~
    If anyone could teach me Japanese that would be great!!!!
    Love Japan, Love their Music, Love Manga, Love Johnny's.

Blame martial arts. They sparked my interest in the culture back when I was probably 6 or 7 years old. What made me want to learn the language was a unit on Japan back in my 7th grade Social Studies class. After that day, it has been a long time goal of mine to become fluent in the language and learn more about the culture itself. Of course, it has been 9 years before I could take my first class which I've been doing for only 6 weeks now. I had tried self study, but found it rather ineffective and wanted to have a sensei to guide my learning.

To me, learning Japanese has never been about the manga and anime or any Japanese entertainment since I could gain the same amount of entertainment from them using just English.

The same goes for trying to get a Japanese g/f or wife. I wouldn't mind being with a nice Japanese girl, but only if she's my type. I'm not going to go hunt specificly for a Japanese woman since I'd cut down my chances with many women that might be my type.

I realize I have a lot of work to become fluent, but I hope engaging in any speaking opportunity and spending time to learn, I'm sure I'll achieve my goal.

I want to learn japanese simply because it's an interesting language. And I like anime and manga.

And among other things as well. ^_^
    "Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot."
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
    by Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)

I am learning Japanese , because I'm interested in Japanese culture, want to talk with my Japanese penpals in Japanese and because I will visit Japan next year...

Because the language is awesome, I wont have to worry about translation and subtitles, and I can talk to my Japanese friends in Japanese ^.^

oh...and because im going to be moving there in a few years ><

~Love thy Kyo~

I am studying japanese because I am going to (HOPEFULLY) study abroad there next year for 8 months, and if not... the year after next year. Also, for a reason Midori has as well, I am an engineering major (mech. engineering) and I hope to find a job in japan after I graduate that deals with engineering. I also enjoy anime, japanese music, japanese tv, japanese cars, japanese food... well... i guess I like a lot of stuff japanese

Ooh, i'm a green belt. Kamisama's Avatar
    I recently thought of another really good reason to learn Japanese. I could become a tutor and make a nice wad of cash in my spare time, or I could start a language class in a college and be a teacher. I was thinking about this last night and these are other good reasons to learn it. But in all, this is somewhat of a test for me, a test for me to become great at something. I figure if I can learn japanese, other languages such as french and spanish shouldn't even be hard.

Hmm... I don't think that Japanese sounds as beautiful as French or Italian. But I am learning the language because I have business in Japan and I think I can accomplish my goals much easier if I can speak the language.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast