Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

View Poll Results: What is your motivation to learn Japanese ?

Voters
746. You may not vote on this poll
  • I want to communicate with my Japanese relatives

57 7.64%
  • I want to talk to my Japanese friends or make some new ones

290 38.87%
  • I live in Japan (so for daily life use...)

62 8.31%
  • My boyfriend/girlfriend is Japanese or want to make one.

136 18.23%
  • I (will) need it for my job

152 20.38%
  • To read the manga or understand the anime

289 38.74%
  • For the video games

171 22.92%
  • To travel in Japan

384 51.47%
  • I am interested in Japanese culture/language, etc.

557 74.66%
  • For no particular reason or others (please specify in forum)

88 11.80%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are you learning Japanese ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Why are you learning Japanese ?

I am learning Japanese because my wife is Japanese, I live in Japan, I like learning languages in general and it will help me find another job that teacher in the future. Maybe also because I am very interested in foreign cultures (for the moment the Japanese one of course) and there is no better way to understand the mentality of a people than through its language.

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Same here. My wife is Japanese, and we both feel it's necessary to learn each other's mother tongue. Although we do not live in Japan at the moment, there could always come a time to strike tents, pack up and move on to Japan.

I had no intension of speaking any language but my own, then one day I was searching for a long lost japanese penpal, found this forum and I'm still here, lolol
    I was so welcomed I could not believe it, The big guns (thomas, moyashi and twisted) got me hooked, and with this hook came the curiosity of the greetings they used such as"kon nichiwa" and "yokoso" ect, now I have quite a few words but have yet to get a sentence together lolol
    Debs

I had the intention of learning Japanese, so i could understand Japanese lyrics, but i've kinda given up.
    I can't remember a thing, because i don't use it on a daily basis. If i ever want to learn Japanese, the only way for me is to live in Japan for at least a few years.

I had a class in Jr high that introduced us to many different languages and have been studying the martial arts since I can remember. My favorite forms of martial arts are Japanese. There has always been a lust for Japanese women too. In high school I took 4 years of it and spoke, read and wrote Japanese proficiently. Now I just need to practice to get it back. I would like to have my son learn a little too.

side note: ever notice how in English, there is a 'I' in almost every sentence...weird
    ja mata
    samuraitora
    (^_-)/

hehe, you drop the "I" in Japanese.

@twisted
    If you're short on time and what not I can understand. But if you're waiting to go to Japan, that day might never come and you'll never have had a chance to speak Japanese. I say slug away and go slowly even if you have to. I hate seeing people give up I hope you're not though

@debs
    I'm glad that we got you hooked!

@samuraitora
    What arts do/did you study?
    I had a chance to study Naginata for a bit. I did the kendo thing in the states, along with Karate, kungfu, kick boxing and what not. My favorite is Aikido. I matches my personality the best.

Me and my buddy used to quiz are friends with :::
    Imagine you are throwing a stone into a pond. What do you see?

My buddy had it worked out by your answer which art fit your personality the best.

lololo ... I used to be the total C grade kungfu fanatic up through high school. And yes, I had caught "yellow fever" too. My wife uses that against me now ... ouch.
    crazy gonna crazy

Well, i haven't given up entirely, but the only way i learn right now is through song-titles. Every now and then i learn a new word, but i can't make any sentences, which i think is more important.
    And if a certain word doesn't cross my path often enough, i forget it again.
    If i'd be in Japan i would learn a zillion times faster then i do right now. It seems such a waste of time to learn Japanese at this slow pace and not having any direct practical use for it anyway.

Note that you can choose more than one reason for this survey. I think nobody has seen it !

@moyashi san
    I have studied okinawa, kendo, tae kwan do, taijutsu (there is a school here in Michigan), and Aikido.

My fav is aikido as well...love the fluid motions and the fact that I will never hit you, but you will hurt bad in the morning...lol

hahaha, ohhhh how true. Just flow right by and wham ... somebody else is layiing on their backs

Aikido is great, I also think it's a good art for women too. Just enough amount of action and violence but yet the power factor between women and men is pretty much negated allowing a more even playing field.

What's taijutsu?

taijutsu is the hand to hand that the Ninja used.

Aikido is sweet for anyone...big, small, fat, skinny, male, female, young, old...

I have my son learning it...He used it yesterday @ school.
    He was being bullied by Jacob. This nasty little boy who's parents need to be slapped and tought how not to raise a child. The boy was hitting Jonathan, my son, and he grabbed his wrist and flipped him into a table...keep in mind my son is big but only 3.

We talked to him and explained that you only use it as a last resort. He told the teacher 3 times earlier when Jacob was hitting him, to no avale. He finally had enough. I was proud of the fact that he never hit him back and only did it as a last resort.

Think I am right in my thinking???

It's highly satisfying to hear that bullies get their share too. Your son's very courageous, John!

thank you

I wish my parents had me learning aikido when I was young.
    It would've saved me the black eye I got from a girl in 4th grade.

Father told me to never hit a girl. SO I got it. I came hoem with a shiner and he got upset, he asked,"what happened to the other guy? Did you fight back and what not?" I just answered, "it was a girl dad .... " .... was his reply.

I think your on the right track.

@taijutsu
    cool, so you've learned how to attack the attack with an attack.

LOL...Taijutsu is the hardest I have learned...Too many calculations and what ifs that you have to make and take into concideration...woof

wow,

I bet though that it's easier to learn ninjitsu in the states than it is in Japan. I haven't found a ninja teacher yet.

Although, my friend and I are considering taking up Aikido again. Problem is that we're busy teaching and the times for the lessons are while we're teaching.

I need to get my balance and flexibility back before I get too much older.

Living, work, culture is interesting, have Japaanese friends.

Too lazy to make a sentence ;)
    Help me I'm Harvey!
    http://www.japannewbie.com
    iPhone apps to learn Japanese! http://thejapanesepage.com/iphone
    Here as well http://www.japannewbie.com/iphone/

I agree about the balance and flexibility...I just started another class and talking to my wife about having Jonathan Join in a year or so...they have a kids Aikido class. It is soo cute to see these little kids tossing each other around...very funny.

One thing I have noticed about the kids in the class is that they are under control and have no problems either in school or home...I am a firm believer in the martial arts.

Ahhh!!!! martial arts

I done judo for a life time (ages 12-24)and it was the best thing that ever happened to me, I was never a timid or weak person but this was a true passion of mine, I would train 3 nights a week for 4-5 hours a night(my parents said it was tension relief lol) I was totally in heaven, no one got seriously hurt and I was getting out built up emotion at the same time, I progressed to 2nd Dan, them I was due to get married and the onset of parent hood ect set in, and I was forced by parents and future husband to slow down and get ready for the "Mother roll" (which didnt happen for another 3 years) and I slowed down to the point of stopping, which might I add was the point in my live that I belived that I should stop all this physical sport and become a so called "lady of leisure"..... I regret allowing myself to be judged as a woman and not as an indivual... now as a Mother I do not have the time for any physical sport or time to watch any kind of sport, but hopefully some day I will resume my passion as once before and live as I once did, a strong indivual, self aware woman with inner strenghts that are known and not used to run a house hold,,,,, Ahhh well,, maybe some-day

ahhhhh, watch out for mommy. When she's angry she flips you through the air ..... wahhahaha ... sorry I couldn't help myself. hmm... not just referring to the kids here eh!

Dam, Debs a 2nd Degree in Judo. Wow, did you follow Yawara-chan during the olympics?

ugh, now I really want to take up Aikido, even more.

I am fond of languages. My son one day told me Hei why don't you learn
    Jaspanese I think that is a good idea. That was way back in l992. To
    my surprise I found out that the Japanese classes were right in front of my house in Madras (now Chennai) hardly l00 feet away. I find the language very interesting. I am wedded to it and can't leave it. I am now in Bombay (now Mumbai). I joined the classes here and under able
    teachers" guidance got through san kyuu. I am now reading historical
    novels by Shi Ba Ryou taro. (Hope it is corect).mssvasan

@ Moyashi,,lololol I trained mostly with men(and my 6 brothers at home hehe),hence the need to be quick and accurate, but the enjoyment of the work outs was the best for me, the actual competitions and gradeings seemed to be just part of the course,

@debs ... I feel sorry for your husband ;)

@ mssvasn
    wow, that's great.

hehehe ... "hei" ... that's funny mixing Japanese with English? I do it sometimes too when chatting with friends from home. I forget that I can't mix the languages.

Hi,

I am learning Japanese because I have always wanted to live in Japan and now because of my wife is Japanese.

Dave

@ Microage97
    I can't think of a better reason that those.

@ Moyashi
    If I ever get to Japan, I will look you up and we can have a beer and throw each other around...lol

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast