Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

View Poll Results: What's your level in Japanese ?

Voters
663. You may not vote on this poll
  • Native speaker

33 4.98%
  • Native level (upper-advanced - JLPT1)

19 2.87%
  • Advanced (JLPT2)

41 6.18%
  • High intermediate-lower advanced

46 6.94%
  • Intermediate (JLPT3)

59 8.90%
  • High beginner/lower intermediate (JLPT4)

118 17.80%
  • Know the kanas, but still pretty much beginner

123 18.55%
  • Just a few words or phrases (greetings, etc)

170 25.64%
  • I don't know anything, but I want to learn !

53 7.99%
  • Don't care about Japanese language.

1 0.15%
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Do you speak Japanese ?

i no a greeting or 2 hi/bye and sum other words.... i voted "Just a few words or phrases (greetings, etc)"
    dont no how 2 read or write/type it

話せることは話せるんですがまだまだだね。もっと練習した方がいいと思うよ。でも、練習すると人がいないん 。

I speak a little Japanese, but there really isn't anyone to practice with so I'm not as good as I'd like to be obviously. I'm taking a language course at school right now though so hopefully that will help remedy the problem somewhat.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by deborah gormley View Post
    @ miyuki
    your school board seems quite tough!! but if thats the way its done , then so be it!! I dont know any kanji yet, it frightens me so much I cant discribe it, but maybe if I was brought up in an enviroment that needed kanji things might be sooo different!!!
    I find kanji facinating with its meaning and terms of interpretation, and thats the frightening bit, lol
    Deborah, it seems tough to us, many of having BA's in Japanese couldn't best them, if we even tried. If these folks go to cram school and work their best in their mother tougue vs us, well, you can guess. But then, you go to Japan, and see that these so called English teachers have a terrible command of the English language. I know many high school students would draw circles over them. So the same is simply reversed. They would think what are we doing with an entire BA with less than what the Japanese get for their minimum educational requirement. These kids have it in their bones to learn.

You know, many envy our English skills that are recongized worldwide. Japanese on the other hand is pretty much useless outside of either Japan or in situations outside of Japan, outside of Japanese corporate environment.
    Even in Sao Paulo or Hawai'i, the Nikkeijin do speak English adequately enough that we really don't need to learn Japanese to get around.

The Japanese also do not ever expect us to try taking them on in the language sparing game. I talk here in competitive terms, as that is their way of thinking. Only the Kikokushijo is made to play catch up, and in some cases, the Nikkeijin who have citizenship. Many of them do go through the daunting task of playing catch up, but we need not envy. My boyfriend said that he was forced into the game where he is made to learn to not get socially outcasted, and have a good job. And many of them learn Japanese out of necessity and duty, and not out of interest like many of us do, choosing this culture. Theirs being choiceless, or almost choiceless makes the task while apparently easier to do than for us, less enjoyable, with the love of it more often than not, absent. When your hair is strawberry blond like mine, even slightly unnatural but so so well spoken Japanese is only applauded by them.

So let them be, and we do what we do in our own category.

私はちょっと日本語を分かります。

それに、日本語で書くが難しいです。

nobody to practice with. so even i know the basic grammar structures, probably i will no be able to go to higher level
    just like jackkrone, i mastered hiragana, but i dont understand the rules for katakana. the only problem for learning the kanji and vocabulary is memory matter. can't remember things that fast. must practice everyday. but once again, nobody to practice with so i won't know if i'm making mistakes

I do not know much of the words, to tell anyone here the truth. It's a fact that I pick up some words and kanji from friends in Nihon, but I never really learned much of the grammar, but indeed relying on replacing words in sentences I somehow memorize when my Japanese friends are talking in their native tongue. I'd love to learn Japanese and go to Japan one day, as well as learn some from several Japanese people here. ^.^

I desire to learn at least a basic Japanese so much. It seems no way at the moment. I have some books and dictionaries but need to practice with some Japanese through corresponding.
    またかれが,諸天と大地を創造なされ,� なたがたの言 語と,肌色を様々異なったものとされているのは,かれ の印の一つで� る。本当にその中には,知識� る者への 印が� る。

Hi how you guys doing. I desire to improve my japanese conversation skills. I have sub par lvl 4 jplt understanding of grammar, therefore I failed the test by 5%. Plan to take it again this year so if anyone wants to just shot grammar points, vocabulary, questions or just conversation I'm game. Oh and my roma-ji (romanized japanese) is not that great. Ganbatte kudasai.

just a few basic words,that's all

i'm learning korean at the moment.
    shall start japanese when i complete my korean courses.

i want to learn japanese but it looks so hard im going next year and i dont want to be a lost tourist

Beginner even sounds to advanced for me! I know some simple phrases. I know how to spell my last name as well. That's about it. I am learning though.
    I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it. ~Jack Handey

more than greetings, but below sentence constructions. -simple sentences only- i will accept all the help i can take~ domo arigato

q

i'm a so/so person. my grandparents speak japanese and claim that my japanese is horrible, but i think i'm improving now that i'm taking lessons from an awesome teacher. i might get a 80% on jlpt 4 test if i'm lucky.

I speak japanese more or less like a child - thats why people call me Han chan.
    There are good and bad people everywhere

Level 3 JLPT3 really considered intermediate? I find that kinda hard to believe. I am just under level 3 with grammar and vocab, but I only know about 120 Kanji so far.

TNT Basketball Analyst Charles Barkley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Soloistic View Post
    Level 3 JLPT3 really considered intermediate? I find that kinda hard to believe. I am just under level 3 with grammar and vocab, but I only know about 120 Kanji so far.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. But when you consider that so many of the people who use this site do not live in Japan and are more interested in the culture than serious study, you can see why the poll is heavily weighted towards beginner levels.

I would categorize a low pass of JLPT 3 as lower intermediate. A very high pass as middle intermediate. A just fail of JLPT 2 as high intermediate. And a pass of JLPT 2 as the first step to advanced.

But of course its an entirely arbitrary category.

Level 3 JLPT3 really considered intermediate?
    The phenomenon known as "the soft bigotry of low expectations". Goes hand-in-hand with the study of the Japanese language.

I agree with Mike about how the Levels are assessed, at least in this thread. (Can't someone do something about how the levels are described?)

In terms of functionality and practical usage in the native Japanese-speaking environment, I think Level 3 and lower are regarded rudimentary. Level 2 is basic language usage (maybe intermediate, if the word has to be used), and Level 1 is "nearest to native" but not native level YET (unless you score near-perfect or perfect)...

Quote Originally Posted by epigene View Post
    I agree with Mike about how the Levels are assessed, at least in this thread. (Can't someone do something about how the levels are described?)
    In terms of functionality and practical usage in the native Japanese-speaking environment, I think Level 3 and lower are regarded rudimentary. Level 2 is basic language usage (maybe intermediate, if the word has to be used), and Level 1 is "nearest to native" but not native level YET (unless you score near-perfect or perfect)...
    I don't consider level 1 near native either, there far more to learn after attaining your level one.

Im bizzy to learn Japans,,
    Its a very nice language!!

Konnichiwa^^Thirsa Desu^^Ogenki desu ka?Sayounara

(Do i typ it right?)

hmm... I'm learning the grammars...=.= but I know hiragana, katakana and some kanji... that makes I'm teeny weeny bit more of a beginner rite? ^^ Nobody to practice with too.

Well right now,I'm using "Japanese for busy people Volume:I" and Im like 1/4 of the way through that book,and Im still learning my hiragana and katakana.But I got most of the basics down.
    "Harajuku boy you got some wicked style!"
    ~The DDR Prince

If you ask me all of those JLPT levels there are one too high. There's no way JLPT1 level could be considered native level in my opinion. I didn't know how to answer the poll because I've passed 1, but at most I would just about consider myself at advanced level which is marked as only 2.

It's not official yet, but I'm at about JLPT 2-kyuu level. Taking the actual test this year. From some mock-tests, I know this is the right level for me; 3-kyuu is way too easy for me, and 1-kyuu is still over my head.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast