There is a proverb in Japanese that says ‹à‚ÌØ‚è–Ú‚ª‰‚ÌØ‚è–Ú(kane no kirime ga en no kirime), which translates as "When poverty comes in through the door, love flies out of the window" or "Out of money, out of friends".

‰ (en) is a Buddhist concept difficult to translate into English, but it refers to fate in meeting people, finding love or friends. So the proverb here contradicts the Buddhist idea by saying that ‰ (en) doesn't exist without money.

Personally, I'd rather say that interesting, funny or even beautiful people don't need money to make friends. It's very sad to think that people would only be interseted in one's money rather than their personality or feelings.

People could say it's just a proverb, but what bothers me is how many people (in Japan) have said it to me and believe it to be true. Proverbs are said to reflect a culture's mindset. Something I have never comlpetely understood is the "hostess bar" or "snack bar" system in Japan, where men pay to befriend women. The hostess' job is to make the customer believe she really likes him, but not necessarily as a lover, but more often as a friend or a person altogether, as there is rarely sex involved. In this case I understand very well that people think that money buys relationships, but it's only an illusion.

In my 2 years of teaching private lessons in Japan, I've been able to ask dozens of women, usually between 25 and 35, if they considered love or money more important in a relationship. I expect that if I asked this to Western women, most who say that love is more important, as the Western culture (in any language I believe) has the proverb "Money doesn't buy happiness" and most people will remind those who they feel are too materialistic or money-obsessed.

But Japanese don't seem to see any problem in liking money more than people. I've been told many times things like "With money I can go shopping so I am happy". And of course Japanese females love shopping like I've never seen in any European like it. The same craze for shopping applies for Korean and Chinese women.

Please read my previous topic regarding the meaning of marriage in Japan.