Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: Deadliest accident ever hits Japanese nuclear plant

Deadliest accident ever hits Japanese nuclear plant

BBC News : Accident at Japan nuclear plant

At least four people have been killed in the deadliest accident to have hit a Japanese nuclear power plant.
    Seven people were also injured, after steam leaked from a turbine at the Mihama plant in Fukui prefecture.

Officials insist that no radiation leaked from the plant, and there was no danger to the surrounding area.
    Last edited by Maciamo; Mar 13, 2010 at 04:30.

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

On the more general front how is money to be found for disposal of radioactive material and decommisioning of old reactors. Public, Private or what?

That's where the BIG differences in nuclear power economics usually show up.

Exclamation Steam leak at Fukui reactor kills four workers

Four workers were killed and seven others were injured Monday when steam leaked from a nuclear reactor in Mihama, Fukui Prefecture, in Japan's worst nuclear plant accident, rescue officials said.

High-temperature steam leaks from the No. 3 reactor at Kansai Electric Power Co.'s Mihama Nuclear Power Plant in Fukui Prefecture.

According to information received by the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency in Tokyo, the leak took place at around 3:28 p.m. at a facility housing the turbines for the No. 3 reactor at Kansai Electric Power Co.'s Mihama Nuclear Power Plant.

Local authorities and Kepco officials said the deaths and injuries were probably due to exposure to high-temperature steam. Of the seven listed as injured, two were in serious condition, according to the Fukui Prefectural Police.
    Japan Times

Where I'm Supposed to Be kirei_na_me's Avatar
    Wow. Three threads started about the exact same subject. Nice to see people so excited about it...
    i carry your heart with me(i carry it in my heart)

Quote Originally Posted by kirei_na_me
    Wow. Three threads started about the exact same subject. Nice to see people so excited about it...
    I'd be more impressed if there were people discussing it instead of just quoting a news article.

Where I'm Supposed to Be kirei_na_me's Avatar
    Me too, Paul. Me too!

That was great, Paul. Exactly what I have been thinking.

Anyway there's more news ... if anybody cares.

http://www.fnn-news.com/headlines/CONN00055428.html

美浜原発事故 事故個所は下請け業者が1999年に別の業者から指摘も関西電力に伝えず

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    また、 11日に新たに指摘を行った業者は、 1999年4月に、 前の委託会社から検査が必要な11人の死傷者を出した関西電力美浜原発3号機の事故から3日が 経過したが、 今回事故が
    起きた個所は、 下請け業者が1999年に別の業者から点検するよう指摘を受けていたにもか
    かわらず、 関西電力に伝えていなかったことが明らかになった。
    今回の事故で破損した配管は、 これまでに1度も検査されたことがなく、 関西電力は2003年
    11月に下請け業者から点検するよう指摘を受けたにもかかわらず、 9カ月間先送りしていたこ
    とが明らかになっている。

場所であるということが伝えられていたことが明らかになり、 この業者が、 事実上、 4年間放置
    していたことも問題になるとみられる。
    11日午後には、 国の原子力安全委員会の一行が美浜原発を訪れ、 事故現場などの調査が
    行われることになっている。

Mihama nuclear power plant accident. In 1999 a subcontractor had pointed out to him concerns over the location that has now failed but failed to inform Kansai Electric Power.

Three days have passed since the accident with 11 casualties occurred at Kansai Electric Power's nuclear power generator number 3. The place were the current incident occurred was pointed out as requiring inspection by a another worker to a subcontractor in 1999. Despite this it has become clear that he failed to inform Kansai Electric Power.

The piping damaged in the current incident had not been inspected once up to this point. Kansai Electric Power was in 2003 Nov informed by a subcontractor that that area required inspection but it's been revealed that they still decided to leave this for another nine months.

It is seen that the fact that after it became clear that this location had been spoken of this worker actually neglected it for four years is another problem.

In the afternoon on the 11th it was decided that a delegation from Japan's Nuclear Electric Power Safety Committee would call on the Mihama Generator to carry out investigations of the scene and such.
    Last edited by PaulTB; Aug 11, 2004 at 19:34.