Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: Japanese afraid of Brazilian tourists as World Cup approaches

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Japanese afraid of Brazilian tourists as World Cup approaches

BBC News : Japan's fear of Brazilians

That may have been a good thing (politically) that Brazil won this World Cup in Japan.

The harder to understand is why Japanese people fear so much people of Japanese descent such as the ones coming back to their ancestors country after emmigratig to South America after WWII. It seems Japanese are especially racist against their own kinds and people who look like them (ie Koreans, Chinese...).

Racism against Westerners is much less developped. Often it's the opposite; there is a kind of fascination (judging by the popularity of David Beckham or Brad Pitt among Japanese females, from teenagers to grandmothers).

Once more, Westerners are more likely to be discriminated if they are from Asian origins and therefore be mistaken for Koreans or Chinese (or Japanese-Americans).

Do Japanese people believe that Asians (including themselves) are inferiors to "white" people (a term I don't like as Japanese are as white as a Northern European) ? Do they fear more to be cheatedor robbed by an Asian than someone of European descent if they weren't born an educated in Japan ? Even Japanese nationals who have spent too many years abroad face discrimination when they come back. They are not "true Japanese" anymore. They have been contaminated by "foreign ideas". I can only understand it as if Japanese people can only live harmoniously if they stick to the very rigid rules imposed by their society/education. They distrust their own kinds if they have not been conditioned to obey and respect the system. That's why Brazilian-Japanese and other "returnees" are having a tough time.

Do Japanese people have a complex ? Manyof them (girls usually) have told me about this. They feel its a pride to have naturally blue eyes or blond hair (while I don't care, my wife is Japanese, so). They have a fascination for Westerners and feel openly inferior. It's not new that Japan has a inferiority complex many have tried to change with theories such as the "nihonjinron" or inumerable books about Japan as opposed to the rest of the world.
    Last edited by Maciamo; Mar 11, 2010 at 05:44.

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.