Quote Originally Posted by uchimizu View Post
This is a great post, and I mostly agree with what Chidoriashi says. Unfortunately, I have the feeling many foreigners have opinions on Japan based on outdated information.
Oh! Outdated Information! Sorry! I have lived in Japan for many years with my Japanese wife and children.
One good example is "Omiai", or arranged wedding, which seems to be quite rare in Japan nowadays.
More common than you may think, just less formal.
The only time I heard about it what for people I know from the countryside, as they obviously cannot meet many people in their rice field, and especially not the rare woman who would accept the quite inconvenient life in the countryside.
Most of the Japanese people who live, and work land in the countryside are over 65 years of age, most of the young leave the countryside for the city, and is the main reason countryside communities are dieing here.
Also, "office lady" does not mean serving tea to men in the company (this is pretty outdated),
Again! this is not as outdated as you may think!
Quote Originally Posted by Mikawa Ossan View Post
It's not as uncommon as you might think, as I've done it myself, but in my experience at least, it's not nearly as formal as what many people imagine.
I would agree! Though in some cases the reason for marriage can just be a case of peer pressure, a mother may just say to her daughter " I think its time you found a husband", if she fails to find a husband, her parents may very well introduce her to some one, though there are cases where a women has taken a husband, and really does not love them.