Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: Radical difference between East and West regarding relationships and marriage

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My main problem with what Machiamo wrote is not that it is not true - people write so much nonsense in the various threads. What really bothers me is that it was places as an authorative article at this site under Culture > Marriage.

The article is a very subjective point of view, and it is generalizing, stereotypical and insulting towards japanese people! I bothered to write where I found it was wrong, because I really think it is about time it is beeing removed.

Quote Originally Posted by MadamePapillon View Post
    I don't know why you bothered to write this then because you basically proved the other guys point. One third goes without sex while the rest is getting it about 1% of the time.
    Lets see what I am objecting to:
    Maciamo wrote: Japanese family relationships
    Even in love marriages, once a woman has a baby, her husband regards her as a mother, not a woman anymore, which means their sexual life comes to an end.
    I find this statement a generalisation. Obviously there are a sizable part of the interviewed who seem to have very little or no sex life. But it is not fair to the majority who actually do have a sex life to clam that they have none - it is mis-information.

I wrote: A survey shoved that married Japanese in average have sex 17 times a year. Around one third of the interviewed answered that they had not had sex for more than a year. This is a sizable minority but the majority do continue having sex.
    I even bothered to give the readers a link: http://whatjapanthinks.com/2006/08/2...s-part-1-of-3/

I can agree that it seems like more japanese couples do have little or no sex life, than in other countries. This is indeed interesting if it is true - but it is not fair to claim that after giving birth to their first child japanese husbands do not regard their wife as "a woman anymore, which means their sexual life comes to an end".

The comment regarding the work of japanese "working moms":
    This one is tricky because there's 'work' and then there's WORK, if you get my meaning. Are they doing meaningless stuff like pouring tea, filing papers, being a gopher, or are they actually working as a valuable member of the team.
    This simply sounds like something an old male chauvinist could say - and not a 21 year old canadian woman!

I can not understand how the same person, on the same day, can make the remarks above and post this:
    I think the saddest part is that many people don't really seem to think about japanese girls/women as people (at least that's what the attitude seems to be conveying). You hear a lot about how cute they are, how submissive, how user friendly so to speak, almost as if they were blowup dolls that aren't much good for anything but looking pretty.
    http://www.wa-pedia.com/forum/showth...?t=8130&page=3
    Last edited by Han Chan; Oct 24, 2007 at 06:34.