Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: searching for "faith"

searching for "faith"

Hello everybody!
    I`m looking for the chinese sign for the word "faith" I've 2 different signs.
    The first is

and the second is

But I'm lil confuse bout that coz same people the the first is right and some people says the second one ist the right sign

Hope you could help me.

The first one more closely signifies "faith," as in religious belief, or trust. Although it has meaning attached to it, it's usually a part of a compound.

The second is more like "truth," or "sincerity." It's also used in names a lot.

Please tell me this isn't for a tattoo.

edit//sorry, I didn't notice this was in the Chinese sub-forum; please note that my answers are regarding these characters as they are used in Japanese.

Ok if would it be in japanese sound "sincerity" much better than the first version.

No I wanna paint it on my wall and it should be the right one

I see, that's understandable.
    Aesthetically, I prefer calligraphic characters, such as:

this compound is S (pronounced Seishin in Japanese), and means sincerity.

Quote Originally Posted by nice gaijin View Post

Please tell me this isn't for a tattoo.
    I thought exactly the same thing when I saw the thread. Usually when a new member asks for the kanji, or in this case, hanzi, for a word like Love, Faith, Hope or a pointless phrase, it is normally because they are going to get it permanetly inked on themselves.
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
    Remember the Siruis Cybernetic Corportations motto: Share and Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Mycernius View Post
    I thought exactly the same thing when I saw the thread. Usually when a new member asks for the kanji, or in this case, hanzi, for a word like Love, Faith, Hope or a pointless phrase, it is normally because they are going to get it permanetly inked on themselves.
    Oh I thought it would it be kanji?

I'm still confuse, there are so many different possibilities. Kanji or Hanzi or whatever. And that all for just one word.

kanji is the Japanese word for Chinese characters; Hanzi is the Chinese pronunciation for the same word. There's a lot of overlap between the two, but there are some differences.

Kanji/Hanzi tattoos are notorious for getting fouled up. Check out www.hanzismatter.com for examples.

Quote Originally Posted by nice gaijin View Post
    kanji is the Japanese word for Chinese characters; Hanzi is the Chinese pronunciation for the same word. There's a lot of overlap between the two, but there are some differences.
    And what is better?
    I mean the trust between 2 peoples or in families. Not the religious one.

信頼 means trust, faith, dependance. It can be used for that kind of reliance on family members.

And what is better?
    I think you misunderstood; 漢字 is pronounced kanji in Japanese, and Hanzi in Chinese. It's just the word for the set of characters. It's not a matter of which is better; they're two different languages.

ahh, i guess i unterstand thx