Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

View Poll Results: What's the best Studio Ghibli Anime ?

Voters
166. You may not vote on this poll
  • Spirited Away - 千と千尋の神隠し

47 28.31%
  • Princess Mononoke - もののけ姫

34 20.48%
  • Nausica - 谷の風のナウシカ

11 6.63%
  • Laputa Castle in the Sky - 天空の城ラピュタ

7 4.22%
  • My neighbour Totoro - 隣のととろ

15 9.04%
  • Kiki's delivery service - 魔女の宅急便

5 3.01%
  • Porco Rosso - 紅の豚

4 2.41%
  • Whisper of the Heart - 耳をすませば

4 2.41%
  • The cat returns - 猫の恩返し

1 0.60%
  • Grave of the fireflies - 蛍の墓

19 11.45%
  • My neighbours the Yamada - ホウホケキョ隣の山田君

0 0%
  • Pompoko - 平成狸合戦ぽんぽこ

0 0%
  • Howl's Moving Castle - ハウルの動く城

14 8.43%
  • Only Yesterday - おもひでぽろぽろ

4 2.41%
  • Ocean waves - 海が聞こえる

1 0.60%
  • Tales of Earthsea - ゲド戦記,

0 0%
  • Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea - 崖の上のポニョ

0 0%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What's the best Studio Ghibli anime ?

Veni, vidi... vicodin? GodEmperorLeto's Avatar
    Wait, wasn't Castle of Cagliostro a Miyazaki flick? Or are Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli not synonymous?
    Ὦ ξεῖν', ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ὅτι τῇδε
    κείμεθα, τοῖς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι.

Quote Originally Posted by GodEmperorLeto View Post
    Wait, wasn't Castle of Cagliostro a Miyazaki flick? Or are Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli not synonymous?
    No, Studio Ghibli was founded AFTER the release of Nausicaa. So, technically, Nausicaa is not a Ghibli film but it is usually considered one as the making of that film was one of the main the reasons they decided to found Studio Ghibli.

Castle of Cagliostro was Miyazaki's first feature as a director and it was released way before Nausicaa.
    The last refuge of the insomniac is a sense of superiority to the sleeping world.
    My Blog

I have added Tales of Earthsea onto the Poll.
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
    Remember the Siruis Cybernetic Corportations motto: Share and Enjoy

My favorete studio ghibli anime is "Spirited Away".
    I have watched it five times in cinemas.I like studio ghibli anime very much!
    And I'm looking foward to watch "gake no ue no ponyo"(sorry, I don't know the english title.)

Quote Originally Posted by ukikusa View Post
    And I'm looking foward to watch "gake no ue no ponyo"(sorry, I don't know the english title.)
    I am looking forward to the new film also. According to the media, the animation for this film is done entirely in watercolor.

Quote Originally Posted by ukikusa View Post
    The English title is "Ponyo on a Cliff"

ohhhh spirited awway by far its like whhoooaa sugoi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol same same.......ur so right
    Last edited by isuyumi; Jun 12, 2008 at 05:16. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by ASHIKAGA View Post
    I am looking forward to the new film also. According to the media, the animation for this film is done entirely in watercolor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mycernius View Post
    The English title is "Ponyo on a Cliff"
    Thank you for the response and many information!

I didn't like Spirited Away, I thought it was lame. Beautiful to look at though. My favourites of the ones I've seen are Only Yesterday and Grave of the Fireflies. I don't like all the fantasy stuff where people turn into spirits and whatnot.

A Ghibli-like news story

ネコの郵便屋さん、2家族結ぶ 熊本・天草
    熊本県天草市に手紙を運ぶネコがいる。首輪に手紙をぶ ら下げ、かわいがってくれる近所の2軒を行き来し、も う20通ほど「配達」した。
    http://www.asahi.com/national/update...807020020.html

Tama (Azukichi)'s delivery service, Kumamoto
    A cat has already delivered 20 letters between two families who take care of it.
    The cat, Tama, originally born at the Yamamoto's house 3 years ago, had gone somewhere when it turned to be 6 month old. After spending at its new home, named as Azukichi, of Uomoto, it came back to its original home.

Seeing it well-grooming, Mrs. Yamamoto attached a small message to it, "Does anybody keep this cat?". A few days later, she got a replay, "Are you an adult? I saw your good handwriting".
    After several exchanges, she found that the present owner was a 15 year old student.
    http://www2.asahi.com/national/updat...0807020017.jpg

My favorite Ghibli movie is Spirited Away, but there are so many of them which are absolutely awesome! I'm trying to watch as many as I can before going to the Ghibli Museum in October, and so far they have all been extremely enjoyable, if not totally heart wrenching (Grave of the Fireflies )

I have seen (and own on DVD) every Ghibli movie ever made or far (is this sadness of devotion).

I really like a lot of Ghibli films because they do not spell thing out in large red capital letters like many other films these days and leave something of mystery. Hence, I own the whole collection. Then there is the romance, the sadness and transience of it all. Problem is that I hardly watch them, because if I watch one, then I have to watch them all...

Only Yesterday is my favourite because it is a love story that is very different to other love stories and it shows a lot of aspects of Japanese culture. Well, a lot a ghibli films do but this one showed family life, farming, a brief history lesson, country life e.t.c so it was a tapestry of infomation.

The second is Porco Rosso, another brillent love story but with excitement and pirates annd spunky girls

'Only Yesterday' is my favourite for this

no, really
    The problem for me with Ghibli movies is picking my favorite. It depends on the mood and the crowd I'm watching it with. I have not seen a bad Ghibli movie, and I have most of them on my shelf.
    I picked Totoro just because it is almost always an instant pick-me-upper. The detail of the Japanese countryside is amazing and the characters sneak into your hart.
    Spirited Away and Howl's are amazing artworks in their own rights, but feel a bit "formula". Whisper of the Hart and only Yesterday have become my current favorites - the "slice of life" elements appeal to me and while they pull you into their angle of something very everyday, you get glimpses of the Japanese way of life, which quite a few on this board (myself included) might have romanticised.
    Have watched Fireflies once and doubt I will be watching it soon again. It is an absolutely brilliant movie, but it just hurts too much to watch something like that. :-(

"Spirited away" it's one of the best anime I've seen

Quote Originally Posted by ansatz View Post
    .....Have watched Fireflies once and doubt I will be watching it soon again. It is an absolutely brilliant movie, but it just hurts too much to watch something like that. :-(
    I have heard/read so much about that movie and held the DVD in my hand several times at my local rental shop, but I just could not bring myself to watch it. It just sounds too painful to watch.

My favorite is Spirited Away. i watched in a Kyushy cinema on a 31 December just after a onsen with some japanese friends. That was just a great feeling !

Hmm I haven't seen that many Studio Ghibli films yet, but I'd have to say my favourites are Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle. My Neighbour Totoro is incredubly cute as well.

I'd say that my favourite would be Howl's Moving Castle and The Cat Returns! I bought a box set of all the Studio Ghibli DVDs about a year back and it has been a blast to watch all these flicks once again!

I've been on a Miyazki flick kick for the past month. o_o I really love his/studio ghibli films. I've been rewatching most of the films on that list.

They're all very well done, it's hard to choose a faveorite. Although, I remember watching Tonari no Totoro when I was about 5, and that is usually a defualt pick.
    I am afraid to watch Fireflies as well. Everyone I know says it's very sad.

カラマズ
    Nausica, definitely. I've loved every Miyazaki film I've seen (I haven't seen them all yet) for one reason or another, but Nausica hit all the right notes with me.

Forced to choose, I voted for Mononoke Hime, although I do love Porco Rosso and always feel the heartstrings tugged a little with Grave of the Fireflies.

I have added Ponyo to the poll
    Also anyone in the UK, Ocean waves has been recently released as part of the Ghibli Collection, subtitled only.

My favourite is Mononoke Hime.
    It's the one that made the Ghibli Studio more popular here in Germany, though certain movies have been around for years on TV.

I watched a Ghibli short cartoon when visiting the Ghibli Museum, It was called Hoshi o Katta Hi, or The Day I Harvested a Star. It was in Japanese with no English subtitles so I didn't have much idea as to what was going on. It was still fascinating to watch. Not sure if you can watch the movie anywhere else apart from at the museum.

I say Princess Mononoke becuase it was like fast action from the start and gradually leads you into a moderate paced storyline without the boredum that forces you to sit thru it just becuase its a half disney japanese anime.
    --tetsunihon-- the fury dragontiger

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345