Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

View Poll Results: What do you blame China for ?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Job delocalisations in your country

2 66.67%
  • Rising petrol prices

2 66.67%
  • Rising food prices (cereals, oils)

2 66.67%
  • Worsening global warming faster than expected

3 100.00%
  • Shift of the world's political balance

2 66.67%
  • Other (specify)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Are you afraid of China ?

Œ‹àŽ– (what a tasty dog) A ke bono kane kotto's Avatar

Are you afraid of China ?

China is huge. It has more people than the European and American continents together. With its rising economy China help us reduce consumption cost by producing cheap products. The down side is that it also cause job delocalisations and influence global prices of pertol and food. China is also blamed for global warming (war Ming ? ). What do you think of China ? Do you see it positively or negatively ?

I see a lot of potential for China, and right now I don't see it going anywhere positive. I'm particularly concerned with the human rights violations, particularly for workers but also regarding the "blood buying" and AIDS infections, and the subsequent treatment of people infected with AIDS. Here is an old but good article on the epidemic. This is still a major problem in China, and I was unaware until recently that people trying to help those trapped in these modern day leper colonies were subject to threats and harrassment, arrest, or worse.

China is also a huge polluter, destroying its own environment and upsetting the ecosystem worldwide, and the burgeoning economy only means more pollution if we stick to the linear consumption economy model (not to say that China is the lone source of pollution, but it stands to surpass even the US in terms of detrimental effects on the environment).

I wouldn't say I'm scared of China, but I am concerned for China's future. I think it's a logical fallacy to have a poll that puts the blame on China for any of these issues. China is merely a part of a global economy, a linear cycle of exploitation, consumption and pollution. China is not the only source of cheap labor, cheap consumer goods, or pollution. Blame the system.

I'd tend to agree with nice gaijan on this subject. The Chinese aren't the sole cause of any of those problems, but they are major contributors. The country is experiencing economic growth unlike anything we've ever seen before, and with the growth of economy comes the troubles of an increased need for things, things like oil, wood, coal, and other raw materials-not to mention food.

Right now, China is being very sloppy in its treatment of the environment and its people, but if it can clean up its act, the potential is there for China become the world's next great superpower.
    I'm Back

Quote Originally Posted by nice gaijin View Post
    I think it's a logical fallacy to have a poll that puts the blame on China for any of these issues. China is merely a part of a global economy, a linear cycle of exploitation, consumption and pollution. China is not the only source of cheap labor, cheap consumer goods, or pollution. Blame the system.
    When I said China, I didn't mean the Chinese people, or pandas. I meant people in control of the Chinese economy, including many foreign companies. I should say "what is happening in China".

Not to nitpick, but "China" is not shorthand for "people who have influence in China." I still think it's not about about blame, although there are people and entities that need to be brought to justice for what they've chosen to do with their influence, but we all share the blame for our complacency.

Quote Originally Posted by nice gaijin View Post
    (not to say that China is the lone source of pollution, but it stands to surpass even the US in terms of detrimental effects on the environment)
    It surpasses the US because it produces more than the US. After WW2 the US started outsourcing its production, starting with textiles, then radios and tv's, automobiles etc., to Asia (starting with Japan). The service proportion of the US's economy is getting bigger every year.

Japan started doing the same; when new technology came along, they outsourced the older industries to Korea and Thailand. These countries did the same by outsourcing to the ASEAN countries, and since Deng Xiaoping opened up the economy in 1991 it's China's turn.

So China now produces for a lot of countries, and because production is more pollutive than service-oriented industries, it pollutes more than USA or Japan. It would be very strange though to be angry with China and "forcing" them to clean up their industries; it is pretty much the same kind of growth England went through during the industrial revolution, or Japan after WW2. China can enjoy the benefits of the opening up of the economy and now all other countries (which are profiting from the cheap production) are complaining that China pollutes too much. Maybe these countries should just import less..

There is a bright side to the story though. China's energy economy relies mainly on coal. This has forced scientist and researchers to find more efficient and environment-friendly ways of turning coal into energy. There are some promising results, but many disagree on the profitability and thus sustainability of the methods. However, as there is more coal than there are oil reserves in the world (oil reserves are estimated to last for only 80 years more), a clean way of using coal could mean a very good alternative source of energy.

Also, there are Chinese firms that are concerned with the environment. Lenovo, a computer manufaturer, for example has been recognized several times for its environment friendly production. (I like to find articles to support this but I have to go now)

It worries me because China is happy to export its products but is not willing to import other countries products. That concerns me, and it shouldn't be tolerated.
    I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it. ~Jack Handey

Why there is no option "I don't blame them on anything at all"? There is no single thing that China alone can be blamed for (for me, at last) so it's no use on blaming only one country.

` My LiveJournal
    You are welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Kama View Post
    Why there is no option "I don't blame them on anything at all"? There is no single thing that China alone can be blamed for (for me, at last) so it's no use on blaming only one country.
    I never said it was China alone. They represent 1/5 of the world's population, so it's normal that their influence is disproportionate.

Why there is no option "I don't blame them on anything at all"?
    That would have been my vote, too.

I agree. You should have an option "none of the above" then I can vote!

I see the people to blame in the world are the big financiers. A small number of people are manipulating the financial situation and that is wrong. I think that the future will see these guys out of the power mongering positions that they are in now.