Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: Chinese Language Reform

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Chinese Language Reform

Do you think having a language full of characters BETTER than languages full of Alphabets?
    it is not!
    Character based Languages:
    * Solve some difficulties with reading and writing
    * Are made simple with few rules of writing
    * Can increase you memory and you ability to learn other languages
    Also, what would we do when we run out of ways to write new words and abbreviations with alphabets?
    I mean we have from A to Z but what if we run out of combinations to make new words???
    That is why we need a character based language.
    I am trying to make a character language like Chinese but it will be WAY easier for EVERYONE to learn. There will not be characters with a million dots and lines. Also this language will not be tonal
    chinesereformed[].[]blogspot[].[]com

take out all of the "[]" when going to the site.
    So what do you think????
    I am working on this all by myself, so it's hard but I'm gonna keep trying.
    **This project has just started so it might be awhile before it is complete**

Ah. Yeah... (backs away slowly)

Please, give me some kind of feedback to my work.

Quote Originally Posted by arpee92 View Post
    Please, give me some kind of feedback to my work.
    Since you asked....

You're confusing languages and methods of representing them on paper.

And this really doesn't belong in the Chinese language section, but since we lack a Tilting At Windmills section I suppose it will have to do.

Tolkien made up languages, check out his work in "The Lord of the Rings" and others. Funny but we don't seem to be running out of new and clever ways of putting letters together to make new words...for instance words like Internet, Blog, and so forth. What is your point? There doesn't seem to be any trouble.
    I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it. ~Jack Handey

I'm confusing languages? This is a whole new language based on Mandarin, Japanese and Korean and 50 percent of the characters are simplified by me so most characters from Kanji and Hanzi aren't really the same like mine.

You're confusing [languages] and [methods of representing them on paper].

I'm no good at drawing pictures, so do be a good fellow and try to grok it right this time.

I want to see so.me examples of how I'm confusing languages and methods of representing them on paper.

A random set of characters does not a language make.

If characters do not make a language then why is Mandarin considered a language.

Quote Originally Posted by arpee92 View Post
    If characters do not make a language then why is Mandarin considered a language.
    Because Mandarin is far more than a collection of [sloppy] characters.

Do you understand, speak, and write Mandarin, Korean and Japanese? Have you studied linguistics or phonology? Do you actually have any idea what you're proposing, or do you just think that making up your own language is easier than learning a real one?

Also, why are you posting from two accounts?

I am redoing the whole project from scatch. It will not just be cherry pickings of Chinese and Kanji characters this time.

feel free to answer any of my questions

umm, i think your fretting over nothing. and remembering 26 letters is a lot easier than remembering two alphabets of more than 26, and one of 2000 characters, many of which are complex.

try reading a word in chinese that you dont know.
    now try doing the same thing with an english one.

uh, yeah, even if you cant understand the english word, you can still read it and perhaps decipher its meaning by seeing if you can recognize any latin or greek or other roots.

you cant always do that in chinese. except i have noticed that almost all symbols that have 言 that i have encountered have something to do with words.

i remember i invented my own alphabet once, and it was sick. it was a blend of symbols from around the globe, and there were some that could stand by themselves and take the meaning of a whole word. then i discovered japanese, and i forgot all about that.
    cҖ Kingdom:2008N130

Quote Originally Posted by StandAlone2323 View Post
    try reading a word in chinese that you dont know. now try doing the same thing with an english one.
    uh, yeah, even if you cant understand the english word, you can still read it and perhaps decipher its meaning by seeing if you can recognize any latin or greek or other roots.
    How very right you are! I live in the Netherlands, and we have a couple of official languages here. One of them is Brabants, and while this looks quite different from Dutch, it certainly is quite readable for the native Dutch speaker if they try hard enough. I can't see that happening with writing systems based on meaning.

Any weird idea of creating a brand new language is simply unpractical, if it has no ideological culture to settle on.

Well.....i would say that Chinese language isn't as hard as the people say if you really want to learn Chinese online there is many resource there on net such as mandomandari.com an online Chinese Tutor where you can learn Chinese free with the fastest way to learn Chinese

I have used Chinese for 17 years and learning English for more than 15 years. Some years ago, I learned French (Although my mind is nearly empty now...). All I can say is the Character based Languages are backed up with history. Many of the Chinese Caracters have its own story and meanings. The characters we, Native Chinese, used are carrying many different meanings. Especially for the Traditional Version used in Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan provinces nowadays. Some of the words are base on the pronounciation and some are from pictures.

It is logically ok for you to design new Charaters to become "word" or "Language" but it will be hard for you to do so or promote it.
    In China, we reckon language as 約定俗成, that means the common sense of the public. Language and word in China are considered as a gift inherited from our ancestors.

In fact, if you wanna use Charaters to represent meaning of such a world with so many things, and you have nothing backing you up, how can you do so? Moreover, you said that you want to have some simplyfied version of Characters, it is even more rediculous. It is already so hard to use limited and flat figures to represent abstract meanings. How can you simplyfy it? For instance, the word East, 東 , it is the sun, 日 , hanging up on tree, 木. You know, there is so much meaning behind one word! How can you simplify all those words?

However, I would like to see your product. Show us.

Maybe both the two language are your daily used lang.

Also ,the Cantonnese ...maybe spell like this ... Hehe ,you are quit good!