Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

View Poll Results: What is your normal body temperature ?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Over 37.5'C

0 0%
  • 37.3 to 37.5'C

0 0%
  • 37.0 to 37.2'C

0 0%
  • 36.7 to 36.9'C

4 25.00%
  • 36.4 to 36.6'C

4 25.00%
  • 36.1 to 36.3'C

1 6.25%
  • 35.8'C to 36.0'C

2 12.50%
  • 35.4 to 35.7'C

0 0%
  • 35.0 to 35.3'C

1 6.25%
  • Below 35'C

2 12.50%
  • I don't know and I don't have a thermometer

2 12.50%

Thread: What is your normal body temperature ?

What is your normal body temperature ?

You might have heard that the average body temperature of human beings is not the same for all ethnic groups. The Japanese claim that their body temperature is lower than that of Westerners. I did the test on my wife and I, with the same thermometer at the same time, and indeed her temperature is 1'C lower than mine (35.6'C against 36.6'C). Of course one example is not very significative, so I would like to know what is your average body temperature and your ethnicity, so as to see if it is really linked or not.

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

From what I remember I always had a 36°, and European.
    ~ Parempi hullu kuin tylsä - Better crazy than boring ~
    http://www.fin-style.be/blog -> My Blog about Finland and other random thingies.

96.6F so like 35.8C ........
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

=[Signature Guidelines]==[User Titles]==[Forum Rules]=

Native American - 36.7 seems the average temperature.

There may be some corralation between a lower body temperature and long life. MSN recently featured an article wherein scientists tinkered with rat brains (was it via DNA manipulation? I forget now) so the rats would have a lower body temperature. The rats with lowered body temperatures lived 20%longer than regular rats.

For us, or those that aspire to live long lives, controlling inflammation via diet, hygiene practice (i.e. flossing), and eating fewer calories will all contribute to lower body temperatures.

If the Japanese do have a lower average body temperature, then that may be a factor in ther longevity.
    "The whole purpose of religion is to facilitate love and compassion, patience, tolerance, humility, forgiveness."
    --H.H. the Dalai Lama

I only deal in farenheit: 98.6.

Armand's Rancho del Cielo

My avarage body temp is between 35.8C~36.5C (97F~98F).

The body temprature changes throughout the day depending on your activity level, and hormonal cycle on women's body can make a big difference on their body temprature.

I'm so sorry I posted a wrong temperature >.>! I took 36.7 instead of 34.7!
    (oh and I'm african for ethnicity)
    (Got this from a friend who probably got this from a site: )
    "if barbie is so popular
    how come we have to
    buy all her friends?"

Quote Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
    I only deal in farenheit: 98.6.
    We are on an international forum, so it would be best if you could use the same unit as everybody else. I wonder why Americans persists in using Farenheit when everybody else uses Celsius. I also wonder why they don't use ISO paper sizes (e.g. A4), the metric system, automatic transmissions on cars (while manual is the standard in Europe and Asia, and most cars in the world are European or Asian), and a few other things like that. It feels like the USA is an island in the middle of the world...

Quote Originally Posted by Live91 View Post
    I'm so sorry I posted a wrong temperature >.>! I took 36.7 instead of 34.7!
    (oh and I'm african for ethnicity)
    OK, I have changed it. Wow, I didn't know that anybody had low body temperature !

So far body temperature doesn't seem to be related to ethnicity or gender at all.
    Last edited by Maciamo; Nov 20, 2006 at 07:41. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by misa.j View Post
    My avarage body temp is between 35.8C~36.5C (97F~98F).
    The body temprature changes throughout the day depending on your activity level, and hormonal cycle on women's body can make a big difference on their body temprature.
    True, I hadn't thought about that ! (I am not a woman ). I also think that temperature is usually higher late in the evening than early in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    I wonder why Americans persists in using Farenheit when everybody else uses Celsius. It feels like the USA is an island in the middle of the world...
    Well, that's the way we were taught. There was a move about 20-30 years ago to get on the metric bandwagon in the U.S. You know what happened? It was about as popular as peeing in a punchbowl.

You may get more responses from non-metric folks if you posted a conversion table.

You may get more responses from non-metric folks if you posted a conversion table.
    That would be a nice hack/mod for the forum, would save a lot of time looking up

I'm not shure what my temp is but I do know that I am quite cold (or at least that's what the people who have touched me have said).

I guess it's because i'm European and a little bit Japanese. :shiver

36.2 C (97.1 F)for me and I'm chinese M.
    One of the most adventurous things left for us is to go to bed. For no one can lay a hand on our dreams....

Well, that's the way we were taught. There was a move about 20-30 years ago to get on the metric bandwagon in the U.S. You know what happened? It was about as popular as peeing in a punchbowl.
    Do you realise that the USA is about the only one out of some 230 countries in the world to use different measure systems (not just the metric, but also ISO, etc.). Well at least American scientists use them. But this obstination to resist international standards is one of the things that give a bad image to Americans around the world.

Wikipedia says that the normal body temperature is 37'C, or comprised between 36'C and 37'C.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    # 37°C (98.6°F) - Normal body temperature (which varies between about 36-37.5°C (96.8-99.5°F)
    # 36°C (96.8°F) - Mild to moderate shivering (this drops this low during sleep). May be a normal body temperature.
    # 35°C (95.0°F) - (Hypothermia) is less than 35°C (95.0°F) - Intense shivering, numbness and blueish/greyness of the skin. There is the possibility of heart irritability.
    They also say that females have a slightly higher body temperature than males, even for animals. Alcohol reduces a bit body temperature, while food might increase a bit. They say that the heat of the environment has almost no effect on body temperature, and that the temperature of those living in the tropics is practically identical with those dwelling in the Arctic regions.

Do you realise that the USA is about the only one out of some 230 countries in the world to use different measure systems (not just the metric, but also ISO, etc.). Well at least American scientists use them. But this obstination to resist international standards is one of the things that give a bad image to Americans around the world.
    Who's to say whose system is better? Maybe the rest of the world is out of touch? Some businesses use them (auto repairers, etc.) in the U.S.

It gives a "bad image to Americans around the world?" Maybe you'd like to restate this? Frankly, I really doubt that this matters a whit to anyone else in the world. Have you seen any protests with people carrying signs saying, "Down with the U.S.A. They aren't on the metric system!"

36 is my highest, if it overpasses that even in one more degree, I start to feel like, menopausic. And that happens during the first day of my period. Usually is below or exactly 36.

Quit arguing about the messure systems!!! Farenheit, miles, pounds and all that is anoyant, but we will have to get used to it till they realise that.

Oh, i forgot. I'm mexican (living in the border with the US by the way)
    I believe in the madness called "now"

Who's to say whose system is better? Maybe the rest of the world is out of touch? Some businesses use them (auto repairers, etc.) in the U.S.
    There isn't a better system. It's just nice to have everyone using the same measures. Incidentally, the Americans didn't invent the measures they are using now. Farenheit is from Germany, and Imperial Units from the UK. Both countries have dropped their systems for the sake of international standards.
    It gives a "bad image to Americans around the world?" Maybe you'd like to restate this? Frankly, I really doubt that this matters a whit to anyone else in the world. Have you seen any protests with people carrying signs saying, "Down with the U.S.A. They aren't on the metric system!"
    Because you think people need to take the street everytime they feel bad about something ? Even for serious issues (e.g. Bush being elected, Bush refuring to sign the Kyoto Protocol, the US resuming fingerprinting on all non-American visitors...) almost nobody in Europe protest in the street (in case you hadn't realised most of the anti-US protests you see on TV are in the Middle-East, Indonesia, or other developing countries).

Personally, I feel that being the only country to refuse to adopt international standards makes the USA look like an anti-social in the international community.

Even for serious issues (Bush refuring to sign the Kyoto Protocol, the US resuming fingerprinting on all non-American visitors...)
    Thank goodness for both.

I am to lazy to do a conversion. But I normally run a bit high at 99.2 F.
    And I am African American
    I seriously need a much cheaper hobby than the ones I have now.

Well maybe it's also because there's a strange heating system in my house and we're always freezing in my living room (I spend a lot of time there and outside and since we're in winter it's still cold in both parts) My fingers are frozen and sometimes I feel my toes when I'm lucky. Anyone else is always freezing in their house?

I do. But since I'm not spending too much time there, I don't think is an influential factor,,. for me.

A conversion table:
    To convert from Celsius to Fahrenheit: ‹F =(9/5)‹C+32
    To convert from Fahrenheit to Celsius: ‹C=(5/9) x (‹F-32)
    In response to ArmandV and Maciamo. In the UK might use centigrade, but on a lot of weather reports the temperature is given in both, unless it goes below freezing.
    Most scientists like to use kelvin when working at low temperatures so the average human body temperature is about 310 K.
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
    Remember the Siruis Cybernetic Corportations motto: Share and Enjoy

109 to Shibuya standards.

Josh

Around 34.
    I'm pretty cold blooded.literally and figurally.